Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why Q??

• 10-05-2009 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here know why in the Boole library the different floors are called Q, Q+1 etc, rather than just ground floor, first floor and so on? It's something I've always wondered since I got to UCC.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I think it is for Quad. Not entirely sure but i think thats it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

ah....................:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

It's quad cos the Boole can be considered the "4th" side of the quad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭CommieBaz

Kind of obscure when you think about it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭sparklepants

Quarry - I think.
    There used to be an old quarry at the site. The limestone from the quarry was used to build the quad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Yup, sparklepants is right.

It's for Quarry, because it used to be a quarry and thats where they got the limestone from. That's what our lecturer told us anyway. Dunno why'd people think it was the quad like! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Yup, sparklepants is right.
    It's for Quarry, because it used to be a quarry and thats where they got the limestone from. That's what our lecturer told us anyway. Dunno why'd people think it was the quad like! :confused:
    Jason1984 wrote: »
    It's quad cos the Boole can be considered the "4th" side of the quad.
    Not reading the other posts, are ya BigCheese?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Well, quarry had never occured to me anyway! Thanks for all the answers guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

Snap, was just wondering this the other day...you know you're spending too much time in the library when this sort of trivia bothers you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Q means Quad

The Quadrangle is that picturesque square of grass enclosed by the West Wing, Stone Corridor, East Wing (aka Presidents Office), so the Boole library is, as said above the 4th side of the Quad.

The floor known as Q is on the same vertical level as that (well slightly higher as evidenced by the outdoor steps) so when you see Q think "ground floor"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭sparklepants

vector wrote: »
    Q means Quad
    Well then, I stand corrected!
    Now back to your books - all of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Ahh interesting...I was there for 5 years and TBH it never crossed my mind..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭1082229

Its Quarry. All the big cups in UCC are called Quarry cups too.

I'm a tour guide in UCC so had to read a few history books about the place. When the library was being built they used Q to kind of pay tribute to the Quarry on the site.

The Limestone for the Quadrangle was quarried there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I don't buy the Quarry name, because then the other floors dont' make sense...

If Q means quarry then the base of the quarry, the lowest level or underground floor would be called Q but thats not the case

Staying with Q we could say it stands for Queen... as the College was previously called Queens College

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

vector wrote: »
    I don't buy the Quarry name, because then the other floors dont' make sense...

If Q means quarry then the base of the quarry, the lowest level or underground floor would be called Q but thats not the case

Staying with Q we could say it stands for Queen... as the College was previously called Queens College

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭baileyjackson

Quarry - I think.
    There used to be an old quarry at the site. The limestone from the quarry was used to build the quad.

correct!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Best of my knowledge - it's Quarry, as is also used in the Quarry cup. There used to be a large depression (i.e. the old Quarry) where the Boole is now and this is where matches used to be played (Hence the Quarry cup).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I can't see why there's still a discussion considering the fact that a UCC tour guide has already given us the answer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

dudara wrote: »
    Best of my knowledge - it's Quarry, as is also used in the Quarry cup. There used to be a large depression (i.e. the old Quarry) where the Boole is now and this is where matches used to be played (Hence the Quarry cup).

Yes my mother told me that was the case when she was there in the mid 70s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭WHL

It does stand for Quarry. I started there in 1980 and remember the old quarry being in that position. They started building there in early 80s and the library was open before I left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭catiny

I'm nearly sure it's to do with boolean algebra... which would make sense since it's the boole library!! think i was told that when I did the tour in first year..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Thread's two years old...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

It stands for "quarry". My dad can confirm it as he worked on it in the early 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Lazarus Malrax

depends who you ask. It is either Quad or Quarry...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Zombie thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement