Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design communication graphics

Options
  • 10-05-2009 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

seriously in my school we havent even finished the course yet and i doubt we will in time for the leaving cert and its not like its extra options im worried about i mean seriously the basic shorts choose 2 long and the two form applied graphics. Most of my class are getting a load of grinds but its too late for me to get grinds so i wanted to post this here and ask if there is any other schools in our predicament and if i had to hedge my bets what would be the best expectations for whats coming up in core

In core im praying for a planes question with the 2 triangles and mb a conics question sicne the conics qs in the sample papers seem easy while all the theory we covered on the properties for conics are rly hard and ive only seen the basics utilised in sample paper

And god those any1 have any advise on teh interpentrations question like imo its hard enuff to set that one up and if i get stuck in the plan and elevation for a point to set it up should i just make a guess at were the point should b?

btw those any1 have any good learning resources sites i could look up for extra help in my dire situation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

its not too late to get grinds if ur situation is that dire.

my guess would be;
    short ques- solid intersected by oblique plane
    perspective
    skew lines

Core- interpenetration
    a plane with 2 triangles would be heavenly.

Option-Structural; Roof and Elipse/parabola

Geometry- an easy road
    an easy borehole

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rodgerc

for applied graphics we have only done half surface geometry and our teacher thinks now that roofs would be too hard and he aint going to do it ¬_¬ so thats half of one q thats useless we have mechanisms and Assemblies to rely on now and thats all we can do and we havent even done gears in mechanisms

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

the roofs are simple enough with practice. the kind of queston that can come up is limited.

whats assemblis like? our teacher didn't give us the option

assemblies are straigh forward with a little practise but if you do engineering then you will get them no problem the only thing is there time consuming straight forward but very time consuming

our projects in our school went good enuff, most ppl in my class of 25 got it done while in the other class some ppl didnt half bother ¬_¬ out of laziness. Fingers crossed the exman in june is easy enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Our teacher is fairly high up in the t4 thing. He organised some of the conferences/in-services over the 2 years. he has been telling us that they will only be asking the basics, especially for the first year. They want good results in the first year to prove that it was a good decision to change the course.

We are focusing on skew lines, solids in contact, axonometric for section B, with an interpenetration also a probability.

Section C, we have done three options; geologic geometry, assemblies, structural forms. I will probably do geologic geometry and structural forms as assemblies are very time consuming!

I reckon it has to be fairly straight forward, like science at JC. We were the first to do it and I remember the sample papers were way harder than the actual exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 eoinkk

You do noy have to learn the whole course..
    In the option section i am only preparing for the structural forms question and the road geometry. You do not nedd to learn the other questions..
    In section B i am hoping for an intersecting planes question and a interpenetration question.. They should be the two easy questions..
    The short questions will decide if you get an A or not!!! For this year i expect that they will be standard and very easy...
    If i dont get a A1 in DCG i wil go mad!
    Hpefully they mark the projects really easy!!!!!!

eoinkk wrote: »
    You do noy have to learn the whole course..
    In the option section i am only preparing for the structural forms question and the road geometry. You do not nedd to learn the other questions..
    In section B i am hoping for an intersecting planes question and a interpenetration question.. They should be the two easy questions..
    The short questions will decide if you get an A or not!!! For this year i expect that they will be standard and very easy...
    If i dont get a A1 in DCG i wil go mad!
    Hpefully they mark the projects really easy!!!!!!

i know i dont have to cover all the course i know that the short questions ar based on the core and the core is going to be either a conics an interpentrations a solids in contact a planes a dimetric or anothher part of the my main problem is in applied graphics as we havent finished Mechanisms and the month we spent learnng surface grometry might aswell not happened since our teacher says now that roofs will be too hard and no point doing it so he rushed assemblies which take alot of time to do exam time restraints wise and Interpentrations take along time too and being honest my judgement to what to expect to come up in conics is very varyed as the exam papers are too simple and they only examin 2-3 properties max of the hyberbole parabola and ellipse when in reality theres about a good 10+ complex problems on each.

but i do realise that the exam could potential be very easy and that our teacher is trying to cover topics to the standerd of normal tech graph higher level the old course :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

I'm in the same boat as a lot of people, we started Geologic Geometry yesterday and it appears to be fine, are sloping roads much of a development on everything else?, are the mining questions hard?

In my opinion I'd say the standard will be in between the old OL and HL, the
    sample papers definitely are anyway. If you are able to do old HL without much bother you should be flying it.

Also I'd have to agree with the whole ''easy marking because it is the first year'', realistically if results are bad all round, which there is a chance they should be considering the amount of people who are unprepared etc in comparison to other LC subjects, all they will be doing is shooting themselves in the foot by discouraging people from a subject which they have invested a LOT of money into. I just can't see it happening.

Advertisement