Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best prices for decking?

Options
  • 10-05-2009 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi - I'm in Dublin 9 and I'm getting some decking done in the back garden...just wondering where's the best/cheapest place to buy the wood. Someone mentioned 11 euro per 16 ft length...is this good? Have roughly 17 sq metres to cover so can anyone give me a ballpark price of what I should be paying, including the sub frame?

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭gizajob

What are the dimensions of the 16 foot board?
    8ft long 5inch wide and half inch thick board in B and Q is 4.25.
    I know the longer the board the more expensive but at that you would get 24 foot of board in b and q for almost the same price. I don't work there just looking around myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

McMahon's Builders Providers normally have the best decing prices

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

I would second McMahon's I checked their prices here in cork and they were really good. I got 35 12 ft boards and 15, 6X2 joists for about 400-450 which i though was really good I have just finished my deck recently it was really tough work but a great project to be tipping away at during the weekends.

Dont forget to budget for things like decking posts, blocks for the foundation (found these better than paving slabs) screws (Do not buy these from B&Q, etc... get these from a decking store I got proper decking screws for €10 for a box of 300) bolts for the posts (again not from B&Q cheaper in a coop) weed membrane for under the deck (get the commercial stuff available from most garden stores) gravel/sand for over the membrane, decking stain.

I think all it it probably worked out at about 700-800 and even if it cost me the same to get someone to do it for me I dont regret it one bit. Its great standing on it knowing that you completed it and you know how it all goes together.

I will post up some pics later to give you an idea of how it turned out for me.

I personally wouldnt touch any of the decking boards in atlantic homecare / B&Q's, you get what you pay for in these places go for something that will last more than 5 years.

Check out Brooks also if you have them nearby they are also really good for prices and dont forget to haggle :)

Advertisement