Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi prices

• 10-05-2009 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

hello,

just back from the US,

any cab is sat into $2.50 plus a dollar for an extra passenger,

got one outside dublin airport, 4.10 euro plus a euro for the extra pass,

then one euro per bag in boot,

felt completly ripped off after my nice trip away!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

And their fuel costs about 50% of what it does here, and the general cost of living is lower..

Utrecht, 7.50 to sit in the taxi after 10pm. We're not expensive by European norms.

The baggage charge is illegal since 2006, though!

http://taxiregulator.ie/consumer/consumer-FAQs/consumer-FAQs.html#baggage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Do you have to tip the drivers in America?
    Just wondering, I've heard so much about the tipping culture

You paid to store your bag in the boot? :eek:
    You were ripped off, that charge was done away with a few years back
    Extras that may not be charged
    Luggage
    The Commission for Taxi Regulation is of the view that the carrying of luggage is an integral part of an SPSV service and is reflected in the basic charge. In addition there is now a significant diversity in the type of bags and goods carried by passengers which can lead to disputes in relation to the interpretation of what constitutes luggage. In the interest of transparency and simplicity no additional charge is permitted for any type of luggage or mobility aids.
    http://www.taxiregulator.ie/consumer/fare-information/national-maximum-taxi-fare.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

thanks saw that too on the taxi reg website,

really feel great now, i dont live in dublin, but do ye get recieps with every journey or do they shine away from giving them?

yes you tip, but not too much and theyll lift the bags etc,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're meant to get a receipt for every journey. They're rarely offered but they have to be able to give you one. Never had a problem getting one when I needed it for expenses or the like.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

gally74 wrote: »
    hello,

just back from the US,

theres no charge for luggage in irish taxi's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

They used to stick that luggage charge on if you got in with a handbag. Always ask for a receipt when paying your fare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Quint wrote: »
    Always ask for a receipt when paying your fare

Sorry to go OT. A friend had a little trouble with a driver over a receipt recently. Do taxis have to be able to give you a printed receipt upon request? If not what, report them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Sorry to go OT. A friend had a little trouble with a driver over a receipt recently. Do taxis have to be able to give you a printed receipt upon request? If not what, report them?

Yes, a receipt MUST be made available. And if it's not, report it. But unless the Gardaí can issue a fine for such an infringement don't expect much to be done about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

amacachi wrote: »
    Yes, a receipt MUST be made available. And if it's not, report it. But unless the Gardaí can issue a fine for such an infringement don't expect much to be done about.

Gardaí can't and don't issue a fine for this; the Regulators office can and only then upon either an Enforcement Officer inspecting the car or on foot of an official complaint from an passenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Everyone convieniently forgets the economies of scale involved too, there's quite a difference between a taxi in New York (not that cheap) and a Taxi in Dublin (not cheap either :rolleyes:)

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

gally74 wrote: »
    hello,

just back from the US,

Why didnt you mention that a pint of beer in dublin can cost you 6 euro in some bars and in the US its far less??? Why single out taxi drivers? The one euro charge though for a bag IF you were charged this,should not have been added ....
    The US and Ireland vary in so many different prices ,,,its unfair to try and compare because you cannot compare like with like ...
    By the way if you saw you were charged the one euro for a bag why didnt you say it to the driver at the time .

oisindoyle wrote: »
    By the way if you saw you were charged the one euro for a bag why didnt you say it to the driver at the time .

Because it would have ruined a chance for a half assed thread like this:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Yes always get a receipt and if they ask why, just say expenses for work.

Doesnt work after a pissup tho, but you get the idea :D

Yes always get a receipt and if they ask why, just say ....

Because I'm entitled to one.....
    Or maybe give no reason at all.

If it's for work that's cool, if not then it's not the drivers business why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

If you don't get a receipt, they don't get the cash. Simple as. Tell them to drop the receipt round later and you'll give them the €€ then.

If you don't get a receipt, they don't get the cash. Simple as. Tell them to drop the receipt round later and you'll give them the €€ then.

So you are advocating stealing the service, well done.

Hamndegger wrote: »
    So you are advocating stealing the service, well done.

No, I am advocating that if the driver does not hold up his side of the bargain, you do not hold up yours.

You feel you have been overcharged. You think the best option is to get a receipt and take it up with the authorities. The driver says he has no receipt paper.

Do you feel the best action in this case is to pay him?

If he can provide a printed receipt there is no issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

I would say fair enough to this.
    I always have my receipts ready. If i dont its my fault , not the passengers.
    I'll take it on the chin and call back with a receipt in return for the cash later as i was the one in the wrong.

I can guarantee you that failing to pay a taxi fare ,which you are advocating ,is a far greater offence (and it is an offence )and you will end up in court ...

I can guarantee you that failing to pay a taxi fare ,which you are advocating ,is a far greater offence (and it is an offence )and you will end up in court ...

That then gives the driver carte blanche to charge whatever they want without fear of reprisal. The regulations state quite clearly that a taxi driver must provide a printed receipt. In the scenario above, I would not refuse to pay outright. I would simply refuse to pay untill I had received the full service I am entitled to.

The taxi regulation has set this rule to protect customers. The regulator's rules are not optional.

• Advertisement

That then gives the driver carte blanche to charge whatever they want without fear of reprisal. The regulations state quite clearly that a taxi driver must provide a printed receipt. In the scenario above, I would not refuse to pay outright. I would simply refuse to pay untill I had received the full service I am entitled to.

The taxi regulation has set this rule to protect customers. The regulator's rules are not optional.

Dont be so ridiculous ,you're talking nonsense.....The amount on the meter is the amount you pay ...IF you refuse to pay it YOU will be prosecuted regardless of whether the diver has a receipt or not ,,,,Yes a customer is entitled to a receipt ,,but the FARE payment comes first ,,If you dont believe me try it next time you get a taxi and see who ends up in court for payment refusal .....

It also says that a passenger MUST pay the fare on the meter. A receipt is typically tendered in business AFTER you PAY for the service and is not part of any deal in spite of what your narrow viewpoint trolling head thinks. The failure of providing of receipts is a different part of the applicable Law and you have Zero right to apply punishment here in spite of what you seem to think.

If you decided not to pay up, I know what side a Garda would take and it certainly wouldn't be concerned with a small piece of printed paper you crave:cool:

Hamndegger wrote: »
    It also says that a passenger MUST pay the fare on the meter. A receipt is typically tendered in business AFTER you PAY for the service and is not part of any deal in spite of what your narrow viewpoint trolling head thinks. The failure of providing of receipts is a different part of the applicable Law and you have Zero right to apply punishment here in spite of what you seem to think.

If you decided not to pay up, I know what side a Garda would take and it certainly wouldn't be concerned with a small piece of printed paper you crave:cool:

Well what are the chances of the taxi driver who has charged extra for bags and an airport pick-up charge being willing to call the cops?

I am not talking about trying to find a loop-hole here. I am talking about a taxi driver willingly defrauding customers and then refusing to give a receipt so it cannot be traced back to him.

In such an instance, I would have no qualms in both refusing to pay and calling the assistance of the Gardai myself.

Well what are the chances of the taxi driver who has charged extra for bags and an airport pick-up charge being willing to call the cops?

I am not talking about trying to find a loop-hole here. I am talking about a taxi driver willingly defrauding customers and then refusing to give a receipt so it cannot be traced back to him.

In such an instance, I would have no qualms in both refusing to pay and calling the assistance of the Gardai myself.

You're changeing your argument now ..you initially said you wouldnt pay if you didnt get a receipt ...Obviously if a driver charges for something which he is not suppose to then a passenger has every right to report or challenge him/her ....

You're changeing your argument now ..you initially said you wouldnt pay if you didnt get a receipt ...Obviously if a driver charges for something which he is not suppose to then a passenger has every right to report or challenge him/her ....

Get used to it, he is just trolling and has had this exact argument about receipts here a few months ago and was put into his place.

Terrontress, you've raised that point many, many times already and derailed a few taxi threads in the last few months.

Is receipts the only thing you focus on?

mikemac wrote: »
    Terrontress, you've raised that point many, many times already and derailed a few taxi threads in the last few months.

Is receipts the only thing you focus on?

Look at the original post. I think what I have said is relevant to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

You would be in the right if you tell the driver that you'll pay him when he comes back with the receipt.
    If you are not refusing to pay the fare at all.
    You are asking the driver to get you a printed receipt and then you will pay the fare.

Nothing wrong as far as i can see with that.
    Nobody is refusing to pay. Just waiting for the full transaction to complete, which includes the furnishing of the receipt.

Advertisement