Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student magic show

Options
  • 10-05-2009 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

There's a student named Paul Gleeson in DCU who is a very talented illusionist.

Anyway, a group of students have got together to make a show featuring him performing tricks on a few Irish celebrities and students too. It's called White Rabbit.

The first video can see seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvd1d6-vbUw

MPS Productions present.. an excerpt from Ireland's first Student magic production White Rabbit. This short clip sees deception artist Paul Gleeson performing backstage in the Academy for Ireland's top hip hop Djs frank Jez and Ahmed, and Ireland's top comedians karl Spain and Willa White (Des Bishop's "Joy in the hood"). The effect featured shows the artist's signed card repeatedly rise to the top of a deck, though previously buried in the centre...with a suprise ending. This is only a taster of the effects featured in White Rabbit...

Up and coming talent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

Is this a request for criticism?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

the routine is very very standard. the patter for the reveal at the end is quite poor and needs work. but he definitely has enough talent to be shooting some stuff for youtube.

the production itself is atrocious. the shakey cameras, which must be for "street" effect ruin the viewers interpretations of the effects. the cuts are terrible, the edit makes it impossible to follow the trick, and will immediately put doubt in the lay viewers mind as to the effect.

for magic effects, the scene should be set and filmed in one take. everything should be in full shot the whole time, or it could be a simple camera trick.
    the graphics were quite nice, but really, you need to simplify the editing and camera work.
    and Paul needs to work on his patter.

Okay as Mikes got the ball rolling...

There was problems all over the place with it to be honest.

-The patter was ****e, just brutal. Loads and loads of dead space.

-The filming was 'atrocious' as well. The camera guys didn't seem to have a clue where to focus. Never have a close up at someones hands as they are doing a get ready for a DL, it reveals the entire trick!

-The omni deck would be stronger if there card was left on top in there hands, tell them it'll jump to the top inside there hands they open there hands and the decks gone and the cards on top.

-Worst of all, in my opinion, he got upstaged by the spectators. It doesn't matter if they're famous comedians, he should have been in charge of that situation and not let them feck around. Anyone watching that is going to have a more lasting impression of Karl Spain than they do of Paul.

-I'm not a fan of ambitious card, it's over done for these sort of things and unless the performer makes it interesting with patter or a nice twist, it's just a 'look at how clever I am' sort of thing, it's in no way 'magical'.

-Paul needed to show some semblance of a personality, the Alice in wonderland bit was fine and even to have kept that sort of stuff up would have been better than the silences that followed. I'm sure Paul is a great guy and much more fun than the video shows but that's the problem, in the video he's just dull and uninteresting.

Now I've probably been a little zealous with my criticism but don't take it personally! I'd say it was just a bad video rather than a real reflection on Paul's abilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Leddy

Come on lads, tell us what you really think!

its not to be mean mate, its constructive criticism. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 PaulGleeson

Hey all,
    Just joined the board to say THANKS for any constructive criticism given. If its ok, I'd also like to respond to one or two of the things mentioned

"The omni deck would be stronger if there card was left on top in there hands, tell them it'll jump to the top inside there hands they open there hands and the decks gone and the cards on top."

Thats an excellent routine, and thanks a million for suggesting it. Personally the routine I enjoy the most is the one performed here, which is a variation of a variation of Anneman's original, performed by Canada's Shaun Farquhar. I saw it at Blackpool 2008 and loved it!

"I'm not a fan of ambitious card, it's over done for these sort of things and unless the performer makes it interesting with patter or a nice twist, it's just a 'look at how clever I am' sort of thing, it's in no way 'magical'."

I guess your right in saying that the ACR is somewhat overdone in alot of specials and shows, with Thanks to Blaine (street magic/dive of death). However, in saying that, it is a great fun routine to perform, and it always gets great reactions. I also think that its only a 'look how clever I am sort of thing' if the performer acts that way? And I really hope I didnt come across like that. Plus, I thought the Omni deck ending might've added a nice finisher, instead of the Braue pop-up, or card to mouth. And yes, your right, my patter was off, as I was a bit put off as Karl Spain had done something to really mess me up in the minutes previous to this performance.

"Worst of all, in my opinion, he got upstaged by the spectators. It doesn't matter if they're famous comedians, he should have been in charge of that situation and not let them feck around".

Again, your right in saying that the comedians put in a bit more than I do. I understand what your saying about crowd control etc, but these guys are professional entertainers-if I didn't let them have a laugh and be themselves, then they wouldn't have had any fun. which is what I'm going for. Karl was very tough at the start (he was cut from Close Encounters with Keith Barry because of the same reason), but he lightened up. I think magic should get people excited and hyper. Now, I'm no comedian, so I just left the humour up to the pros. Criticism taken onboard.

"Now I've probably been a little zealous with my criticism but don't take it personally! I'd say it was just a bad video rather than a real reflection on Paul's abilities."

Everyones opinion is valid, as long as it is constructive! And I'm thrilled to get some from another practicioner. Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt, and hopefully you'll enjoy some of the other stuff we release.

"the production itself is atrocious. the shakey cameras, which must be for "street" effect ruin the viewers interpretations of the effects. the cuts are terrible, the edit makes it impossible to follow the trick, and will immediately put doubt in the lay viewers mind as to the effect."

I think that this is all a matter of opinion, and I don't agree that the production is 'atrocious'. However, I took your criticism to the Editor, who genuinely took it on board and realised that perhaps there were too many complicated cuts. Next time we wont go all "Bourne Supremacy" on it:). THANK YOU for your opinion: Its definitely been taken onboard.

Just a note: we are just second year students, finding our feet with all the tech, and programs etc.That why it has a raw feel to it. None of the crew are magicians, so occasionally they catch the wrong moment by accident. Which is my fault for not letting them in on the secrets:)!By the way, Dublin has many amazing magicians: Aidan Toomey/Jack Wise, Brendan Byrne, Shane Black, and of course Keith Barry, and I encourage everyone to check these true professionals.

Paul

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum! I hope you'll stick around and chat some more, its always nice to get the opinions of other practising magicians on here. There is also a private subforum for practising magicians for discussing techniques without worrying about exposure etc.

Atrocious was a strong word, I'll admit, its just one i use a lot. :o Its not that bad, but yeah, the cuts are very distracting.
    As for Karl Spain, yeah, I've done some tricks for him in the past too, he's a hard man to get to settle, and aint one for the big reactions either. Theres one in every group really :p

So, whats next for white rabbit? Congrats on making the effort and getting out there, many people never go that far.

Again, welcome to Boards!

Thanks for the welcome, and again, for the constructive criticism!! Believe me, it has all been taken into account! White Rabbit's been filming now for a good few months, we've only recently gotten down to the dirty editing! Its been an amazing experience to say the least, especially performing in front of a camera. Its a lot scarier than I thought. We've filmed a good few things, which look pretty good at the moment! Yes, Karl was a bit stand-offish at first. Then again, he had just walked into a room full of strangers, cameras and lights. The first thing he said to me was , "listen, I've done this exact trick on Keith Barry's show"! all I had said was , "pick a card Karl!".
    We also fimed with Neil Delamer, who was ten times worse as far as spectators go. Paddy Courtney was the best, as the first trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUCZolUibvs) may have shown, he just really got into it! The next thing to be filmed is a bit strange, as I'm filming with someone whos been blind their entire life. I think it holds some really fascinating potential.
    How are things your end zuroph? have you been at this game a long time?

about 9 years now, with lazy patches in between ;). I'd love to take the time to go about it properly, as i've some nice ideas, but its getting the motivation together is tough. I have a residency in a nightclub which isnt too bad, and gets me practise when i want it. Next thing to start practising hard is hypnotism after doing the course in the uk with Anthony Jacquin. I've set myself a goal of a radioslot with hypnotism/mentalism, and I'm hoping i'll have the balls to follow up on it!

First trick i did for Karl he really didnt pay much attention to, so after that I said id stick to quick and easily remembered, so I linked some polo mints for him and left him with them. he recognised me a year later in a bar and asked me to do some more stuff for him :)

also, I've granted you access to the private forum, check ur PM for details.

First off Paul, hello and fair feck to you for taking the criticism on board. Lot of people get pissy and refuse to accept it!
    Hey all,
    Thats an excellent routine, and thanks a million for suggesting it. Personally the routine I enjoy the most is the one performed here, which is a variation of a variation of Anneman's original, performed by Canada's Shaun Farquhar. I saw it at Blackpool 2008 and loved it!

If you don't like it, say it properly!!! Hahaha nah it's grand, I just didn't think it felt like a final phase to an ACR if you get my meaning? The internal logic of the card jumping places wasn't present in it.
    "I'm not a fan of ambitious card, it's over done for these sort of things and unless the performer makes it interesting with patter or a nice twist, it's just a 'look at how clever I am' sort of thing, it's in no way 'magical'."

I guess your right in saying that the ACR is somewhat overdone in alot of specials and shows, with Thanks to Blaine (street magic/dive of death). However, in saying that, it is a great fun routine to perform, and it always gets great reactions. I also think that its only a 'look how clever I am sort of thing' if the performer acts that way? And I really hope I didnt come across like that. Plus, I thought the Omni deck ending might've added a nice finisher, instead of the Braue pop-up, or card to mouth. And yes, your right, my patter was off, as I was a bit put off as Karl Spain had done something to really mess me up in the minutes previous to this performance.

You didn't come across as look I'm cleverer than you, I just mean the trick as a whole doesn't lend itself to people putting their own spin on it. Patter is also a huge issue with it as what can you say!!! You should check out Adlibicious Card by John Allen, it's a twist on an ambitious card routine that's slightly more ballsy but more fun and the matter is more natural.
    "Worst of all, in my opinion, he got upstaged by the spectators. It doesn't matter if they're famous comedians, he should have been in charge of that situation and not let them feck around".

Again, your right in saying that the comedians put in a bit more than I do. I understand what your saying about crowd control etc, but these guys are professional entertainers-if I didn't let them have a laugh and be themselves, then they wouldn't have had any fun. which is what I'm going for. Karl was very tough at the start (he was cut from Close Encounters with Keith Barry because of the same reason), but he lightened up. I think magic should get people excited and hyper. Now, I'm no comedian, so I just left the humour up to the pros. Criticism taken onboard.

Granted, I'd say they're twats to perform for. But as with all of these sort of things, you're not really playing to Karl Spain, you're playing to the audience beyond the camera. If he doesn't enjoy it, it doesn't matter much as long as you come across well!!!
    "Now I've probably been a little zealous with my criticism but don't take it personally! I'd say it was just a bad video rather than a real reflection on Paul's abilities."

Everyones opinion is valid, as long as it is constructive! And I'm thrilled to get some from another practicioner. Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt, and hopefully you'll enjoy some of the other stuff we release.

I do indeed, and everyone is entitled to the benefit of the doubt! Until I've seen you live!!!
    Just a note: we are just second year students, finding our feet with all the tech, and programs etc.That why it has a raw feel to it. None of the crew are magicians, so occasionally they catch the wrong moment by accident. Which is my fault for not letting them in on the secrets:)!By the way, Dublin has many amazing magicians: Aidan Toomey/Jack Wise, Brendan Byrne, Shane Black, and of course Keith Barry, and I encourage everyone to check these true professionals.

Did you not consider getting another magician on board? I run absolutely everything that I do by John on this board and my brother (both who know the workings), and take their opinions on board! I film everything and then it's straight in to Joe Daly for his feed back on it. I find it's a great help. Even Derren Brown has Andy Nyman!!!

Is there going to be a grand premier of the full thing? If so I'd love to come along!

• Advertisement

I understand what you mean about the motivational aspects. Though I find it extremely rewarding when certain effects receive fantastic reactions! That does it for me! Though I'm only young, 21 years of age! I started out with a nightclub residency too in Dublin, but lost it when ownership of the venue changed hands.
    Hypnotism seems to garner a bit of interest on this forum. I think its a fascinating field, but really really vast! Its something I'd love to get into when I'm a bit older. Right now, suggestion ala Luke Jermay and Knepper is the closest I'll get. You're aiming for a regular Hypnosis spot on the radio? That sounds like a really interesting concept actually! I'd love to hear more!
    Comedian's and magicians arent the best combination. As we all know, they just dont want to feel as though their been made a fool of .
    Thanks for the invite to the subforum, I look forward to some discussions there.

Pah 21! I'm 19 like!!! You don't need age for it, just balls of steel!!! What club did you have a residency in?

I'll definitely check out Adlibicious Card (spelt right!?!)! I've only ever heard of the Heckler, and Sankey's dvd based on the ACR. I totally get your meaning about the final phase. I think it came across badly on camera, as the shots were off. I might have to re-film it now to make myself feel better:)!
    I would love to have had someone to run a few ideas by for certain things, but I just dont know any magicians in Dublin! My own fault really! I've been to one Circle meeting all year. Keith Barry was supposed to lend a hand with a few ideas, but he escaped to Vegas! The English Performer Daniel Madison is the only magician to suggest a few things for me so far, which I'll be taking on board!
    Wow, a nineteen year old hypnotist! thats really impressive! I think I may have seen an advertisement for a show in a venue called the Ivy, near DCU and st Pats a while ago? Was that you? (The photo of the performer looked younger than most hypnotists!there was no beard;-)!).
    When the show is fully edited, we're going to look into possibly having a small premiere of it, if theres even enough interest!
    I had a residency in the V.I.P room of Spirit, but then it changed hands to the Academy. I also did a few performances in Lillies, but again, thats changed hands now, and after Dave Knight left, they havent been interested in hiring a magician!

sounds good Paul! Well theres a good few of the users here based in Dublin, and as for the rest of us, we're always up for bouncing ideas around and brainstorming here, or via youtube links. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Welcome to the boards man.

Looking forward to see how this project goes.

Yeah that was my show! No beard yet, trying to avoid the trend!

In John Allen's effect you get them to write a word rather than their name, you then ad-lib (hence ad-libicious) the patter for your ambitious card throwing in as many bad puns on their word!!!

I've never had any issue with my age for either mentalism or hypnotism, odd I suppose but never had trouble!

If you can handle it, you could try joining the IBM ring. I only tracked them down a few months back but there's some good people there, Aidan's a regular as is Brendan, Pat Fallon and a load of others.

Thanks a million King Mob (and at 1,918 posts, you certainly must be the king!). And thats exactly what White Rabbit is: a Project! Its a learning experience for myself and the others involved. It has picked up a bit of attention in the televison realm, with thanks to an individual who Produced Keith Barry's series. So apart from that we've just been enjoying ourselves! And I//we genuinely intend on taking every criticism on board, so that we can make this enjoyable for anyone who sees it too.

Ah it was you! Small small world! How did the show go!?! I've never been inside The Ivy, but I saw a sign saying there was a theatre there as well!
    Age shouldn't ever be a problem I dont think! unless your a 12 year old hypnotist-that might take your abilities into question:)! yeah, Hypnotism fascinates me! Especially Derren Brown's stuff (commercial example! I apologise!).
    I'll look into the IBM! As mentioned, Pat Fallon brought me to one of the Magic Circle meetings last year! It was actually really constructive! I had never seen any other Irish magi apart from keith and Joe Hoey! Aidan blew me away!he is something else!

right, I'm off to bed, dont burn the place down while I'm gone.

Again, welcome Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Hey guys now that Zuroph is gone, let's burn the place down. :pac:

"In what appeared to be a freak flash paper accident, Irish magicians have burned down the internet" , or something! haha! I just read a thread you started a while ago asking what trick some1 would perform if they had a bottomless budget? well, I answered the second scenario anyway! The first is too difficult!

• Advertisement
Advertisement