Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a Kilkenny GAA DVD

Options
  • 10-05-2009 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Id liek to make a dvd to sell of kilkennys dvd wins in the 90's.. i have the games on dvd and can edit myself butwho in RTE should I contact regarding broadcasting rights etc?

Do I just agree to pay them a percentage of each DVD sold or a set fee for use of each game?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

Get in touch with RTE library sales. They'll chat with you about what you want to do and give you an idea of costs. You'll also need to be chatting to GAA as they also have rights to their games. RTE won't release materials to you without written permission from GAA.

Bear in mind, if you take existing DVD materials, get the mpeg files into some format for editinga and then reencode, you'll likely have poor enough quality on the final DVD - at least not up to par with what it should be if you edit from Beta or DigiBeta that you would get from RTE Library. Also, I'm not sure what DVDs these are but if they are commercial, the producers have copyright and you'll be infringing that (even if you manage to get permissions from RTE/GAA).

Good luck!

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Old Gill

Thanks Peter..so it will be RTE and the GAA who hold the commercial rights and nothing can be done without their say so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

Exactly

You need to talk to (and likely pay) GAA for the rights to the games and talk to RTE (and likely pay) RTE for access and rights to the actual footage.

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

This isn't going to be an easy task for you Old Gill, just by editing the DVD's you have is breaking the law (if they are originals you have bought) because they will be encoded and you would need to crack the security code in order to access the footage on an edit suite.

As meep has pointed out, you will need all sorts of permission from RTE, GAA and the production company involved in each DVD you are trying to copy.

And let's face it, if those organisations think there is money to be made by putting together a DVD for Kilkenny (or any other county) then chances are they would do it themselves.

Just to give you an idea of the costs that you might be facing.......I heard of a student on another forum who was making a short film for his school project (non profit of course) about the decline of the fishing industry in Ireland. He contacted RTE for some archive footage of Irish fishermen/boats during the 50's & 60's and they wanted something like 200 euro for every minute of archive footage used.

So, can you imagine what they will be looking for when they find out it's for commercial/re-sale purposes? And that's before the GAA get their hands on your wallet ;)

Good luck in your quest anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Old Gill

thanks.. ive sent a few emails so await the responses. I want to do it above board so want to get full permission before trying anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Old Gill wrote: »
    thanks.. ive sent a few emails so await the responses. I want to do it above board so want to get full permission before trying anything

Good luck. I've seen enough episodes of The Simpsons to know Old Gill needs a break :D

Advertisement