Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute less than 8km? Why don't you cycle?

• 10-05-2009 11:37pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

As per the thread title: Commute less than 8km? Why don't you cycle?

If your commute is less than 8km, what don't you cycle? 116 votes

Too dangerous
    0% 0 votes
    Too much effort
    36% 42 votes
    Too far
    17% 20 votes
    Irish weather
    3% 4 votes
    Have to carry laptop, books, files etc
    28% 33 votes
    Need my car/van for work
    6% 7 votes
    Need to drop children to school
    5% 6 votes
    Never considered it
    2% 3 votes
    Other (please post why)
    0% 1 vote
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Honest answer - Scared of the traffic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My 'commute' these days is from my house to where I've parked my van and I have skateboarded it once... (I've absolutely no extra parking spaces near my house)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

monument wrote: »

Im about a 1km from work. I drive because I dont particulary like walking and I work 12 hour shifts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I walk to work usually, only driving about 10% of the time. I'd imagine a lot of people don't cycle because of rain, cold, traffic, sweat and discomfort. After a hard day's work I'd say a lot of people would resent having to cycle home in horrid conditions too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Poll added.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm on maternity leave at the moment, but when I go back to work in June, I'll have to walk to the childminders with the baby and then get the bus to work... it just wouldn't be convenient for me. My childminder wouldn't let me keep a bike out her back everynight!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

How about an option "I do!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

tech2 wrote: »
    Im about a 1km from work. I drive because I dont particulary like walking and I work 12 hour shifts.
    You drive 1km to work ??? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

monument wrote: »

I am alot more that 8km from work but if I was I would still probably drive or get the bus...
    Irish weather, turning up for work sweating and no shower facilities in most workplaces yada yada take your pick :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

I use to cycle, byt now my job moved too far to even consider it.

I use to love the cycle home in the evening, espeicially if I had a tough day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 lukasbasic

I do 30% of the time.
    This is the 30% where the weather allows it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I wouldn't contemplate cycling in Dublin as the roads are far too dangerous and it rains half the time and is too hilly and dangerous and bosses won't tolerate long absenses due to cycle related injuries, much more likely than cars....
    I know one or two cyclists who broke wrists falling off their bikes on the Luas rail tracks and a few others hit by car doors etc.
    Where such injuries might be tolerated in the boom times I don't see them being tolerated now. Who wants to put themselves to the head of the queue for a P45 just to keep the Greens happy????

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Colm R wrote: »
    I use to love the cycle home in the evening, espeicially if I had a tough day.

That did it for me, after a hard day nothing beat hoping on the bike for a nice 20k cycle back home.

I miss cycling :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I do cycle to work. Dalkey to Dun Laoghaire, only 2-3km.

But I voted other because if i were cycling 8km I'd be all sweaty and horrible when i get to work and there are no changing or shower facilities. Can't really be sitting in a shirt with swaet stains all over it everyday:o

That and when it rains it's even worse then you're sweaty and wet:pac:

EDIT: Those who say it is unsafe, can you explain why? I can't see how it is tbh...

Alun wrote: »
    You drive 1km to work ??? :eek:

Yeah the last thing I want to be doing after a 12 hour shift is walking down the road. Plus I pay taxes to drive a car so why wouldnt I. Carbon Emissions is the least of my worries. We could be hit with an ice age in a few years time so it doesnt really matter. Its actually well overdue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Poll should be multi choice since people may have more than one reason and you may want to add Too Lazy

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I agree I took most people are just too lazy.

All these excuses of it being too wet or too dangerous (or Dublin too hilly!!!!!) are just that, excuses by lazy people.

I cycle almost every day, for the past 10 years, never once had an accident.

Also Ireland isn't as wet as people think, I only get wet a few times a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

tech2 wrote: »
    Yeah the last thing I want to be doing after a 12 hour shift is walking down the road.
    You poor thing, walking a whole 1 km, I mean, that'd take you what, all of 10 minutes. Jeez :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,317 ✭✭✭markpb

doolox wrote: »
    I wouldn't contemplate cycling in Dublin as the roads are far too dangerous and it rains half the time and is too hilly and dangerous and bosses won't tolerate long absenses due to cycle related injuries, much more likely than cars.... I know one or two cyclists who broke wrists falling off their bikes on the Luas rail tracks and a few others hit by car doors etc.

I've been cycling around Dublin for five years and I've never had an accident. For half that time I cycled 20km a day between suburbs from Santry to Clontarf, now I cycle 26km a day from Santry to Stephens Green. Occasionally I cycle from Santry to Sandyford via the city centre. I cycle cautiously and legally, I stop at red lights and I give way to buses and HGVs. Even considering that, I do my current commute in 25-30 minutes each way which gives an average speed of 25kph. I know plenty of other people who cycle-commute too and never had an accident. If you're careful and know what you're doing, you would be extremely unlucky to have an accident.

btw cycling along the luas tracks is fine as long as you stay away from the grooves - anyone with half a brain would know to stay in the centre and cross the groves at right angles.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

EDIT: Those who say it is unsafe, can you explain why? I can't see how it is tbh...

I've ended up under the wheels of a truck... thankfully I did a james bond and rolled out of the way but could have easily died.

Cycling around town is incredibly dangerous. The amout of cars doors that i've had to avoid at the last second is unrealy, the amount of cars that don't indicate when turning is unreal.

cycling is dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,317 ✭✭✭markpb

I've ended up under the wheels of a truck... thankfully I did a james bond and rolled out of the way but could have easily died.

Cycling around town is incredibly dangerous. The amout of cars doors that i've had to avoid at the last second is unrealy, the amount of cars that don't indicate when turning is unreal.

cycling is dangerous.

Initially yes but as you get more experience and more confidence, you learn how to avoid most of those situations. There are times when, as a cyclists, you have to inconvenience yourself (not staying to the left of HGVs) or inconvenience others (slowing down the traffic flow as you pass parked cars) but if you do it, you'll make yourself a lot safer.

Not passing too close to parked cars will stop you being t-boned by a door. It may put you further into traffic than you'd like but your safety comes before the speed of people behind you.

Likewise if you're going straight through a junction with a left turn, you need to inject yourself into the flow of traffic so there's no-one to your right that can drive into you.

markpb wrote: »
    Initially yes but as you get more experience and more confidence, you learn how to avoid most of those situations. Never passing too close will stop you being t-boned by a door. It may put you further into traffic than you'd like but your safety comes before the speed of people behind you.

Likewise if you're going straight through a junction with a left turn, you need to inject yourself into the flow of traffic so there's no-one to your right that can drive into you.

There are times when, as a cyclists, you have to inconvenience yourself (not staying to the left of HGVs) or inconvenience others (slowing down the traffic flow as you pass parked cars) but if you do it, you'll make yourself a lot safer.

I would agree with you to a certain extent. My first time cycling into town I was sure I was going to get mangled. But as time goes on you learn to expect the unexpected but sometimes you just get unlucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

If there was a shower here at work I would love to cycle every day... Would be a 10km cycle too which would be nice

I dont think I could manage been sweaty and stinky all day at work!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Commute less than 8km, why should I cycle?

That's how I see it.

It's not feasible in a suit, no changing/shower facilities in work, safety,
    commute involves M50 which you can't cycyle on, need car for work,
    poor security for bikes near office... I could go on and on.

If I spend €40k+ on a car plus tax/insurance now way I'm going
    to leave it sitting outside the house and cycle past it each morn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

bk wrote: »
    All these excuses of it being too wet or too dangerous (or Dublin too hilly!!!!!) are just that, excuses by lazy people.

I know a number of people who have been knocked off bikes and one who was seriously injured and lucky not to be killed, through no fault of their own.

After working and cycling in Holland where they have proper, segregated cycle lanes, coupled with motorists who actually respect cyclists, I wouldn't last long on Dublin roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

I used to but gave up, got soaked too many times I'm afraid that and got a bit tired of cars trying to kill me every day lol :D

TBH I couldn't see cycling as a practical alternative for me, carrying bits and pieces for work etc. I switched to a motor bike and then a car, the motorbike probably made the most sense economically and practically.

I do applaud anyone who does tough it out, lecturing others about being lazy or scared serves no purpose other than to self promote.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I can see why people would not be able to cycle as not alot of places in Ireland have showers and I believe the Green party should get some incentive together for companies who wish to put showers in to accommodate cyclist.

As for the weather being an excuse: I cycle all year round and can honestly say I have not got wet more than a handful of times - and if there is a shower in work it doesn't bother me anyway. - too wet my a*se !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

bladespin wrote: »
    I used to but gave up, got soaked too many times I'm afraid that and got a bit tired of cars trying to kill me every day lol :D

TBH I couldn't see cycling as a practical alternative for me, carrying bits and pieces for work etc. I switched to a motor bike and then a car, the motorbike probably made the most sense economically and practically.

I do applaud anyone who does tough it out, lecturing others about being lazy or scared serves no purpose other than to self promote.

I cycle, and I love doing it, but then again...

- I have only 4km to commute and it's actually faster than driving
    - I don't have to wear a suit or uniform for work
    - It's not far enough to really get sweaty
    - I'm not in the "dangerous" Dublin traffic
    - I don't have anything to bring to work (files, etc)
    - I don't have kids to bring to schools

If the weather is REALLY bad, I do have a car, which I fall back on, but then I see the other cyclists toughing the rain and hail!

I try to coincide the day I bring the car with doing the grocery shopping and if the weather improves in the afternoon I feel guilty :o If the weather is bad on the way home it doesn't bother me, cause I'm just gonna change when I get home. But hate sitting in wet clothes in work.

I have a friend who is genuinely nervous of traffic though. She won't cycle anywhere on her own. Some people are just not confident on a bike. Some people don't enjoy it. I don't think it's laziness, apart from the person who won't walk 1km!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i'd love to cycle to work BUT have nowhere safe to leave the bike (not even a cycle rack in the town) and dont like walking upstairs in cleats carrying a bike quite often carry a laptop or two in and out of work (which can be overcome) no showers but i dont mind stinking.
    i'd love to cycle out of work in the evening and do a training ride like i used to when i was less fat ( hmm think theres a correlation here)

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    You poor thing, walking a whole 1 km, I mean, that'd take you what, all of 10 minutes. Jeez :rolleyes:

Yes 10 minutes and yes Im extremely lazy. So what there is other workmates who live next door from me and also drive. A car is a luxury i own get over yourself. :p

Advertisement