Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dj's/Groups you hope to see in 2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    jtsuited wrote: »
    yeah love babicz's stuff. he's a regular poster actually over on the gearslutz forum. seems like a nice guy.

Gearslutz? Do elaboarate......i need more good ance music forums to get mne through the day.........

On another note i liked his remixes of Joris Voorn's "Dark Flower" and Gui Boratto's "Mr.Decay"

Certainly a producer to look out for....
    gearslutz is a production forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

in his defence jonny pete tong has been plying nothing but sheer horror for a long time now...

if you want to hear old school music, or at least hear someone play a set that's drawn from a knowledge and involvement and love of a few decades balls-deep in the craft then it's the likes of larry heard, bill brewster, osunlade, and any of the old proper house legends who still make it over here every once in a while that are really who you want to be going to check out...

danny rampling retired didn't he? and pete tong was always more of an oppurtunist and a business head and a broadcaster than he was ever a first rate club dj (IMO)

there's no point in being old school for the sake of it unless you really want to get to grips with the roots of the music you're into - but harping on about tong in 2009 doesn't make you look like a wise old veteran, it makes you look like you're looking in YOUR past at good times YOU had rather than looking at the amazing MUSIC those times came with...

just an observation - i have the utmost respect your love for what you do and your unflagging enthusiasm...

(until we get to the hardcore breaks thing)

That's your opinion about Tong mate and your welcome to it, but aren't you primarily into Drum & Bass & Dubstep?

I personally have seen Tong a number of times and have never seen him play a bad set and have always liked and rated him hence my opinion until some fool came on and thread spoiled (funny the person is relatively new as well mmm:rolleyes:) Tong's BBC show is still exceptionally popular and he is credited as being the man who can make someone in dance music and has made stars out of many people in dance music aka the essential new tune on his show and the person or act in question have gone onto to big things so that doesn't sound like someone who doesn't know the score nothing to do with me at all.

Danny Rampling did indeed retire about 2 years back and bought a restaurant and tried his hand at some other business ventures but said he still never lost touch with the scene so has decided to make a comeback which is fair enough, Rampling is an immensely talented DJ in fact one of the best ive ever seen and i don't say that lightly either so i totally refute that he is not a first rate DJ,he was very good broadcaster as well.

I respect your views man at least your not patronising like others you always put your point across in a decent manner, no one here asides from a few would be into HCB and i wouldn't expect otherwise,it's a very underground scene an i hope it stays that way, i love it and that's it as far as im concerned.

Wise old veteran, jaysus you make me sound like some old wizard with a long grey beard standing around a magic ball or something im not that bleedin old man.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Have to agree with Johnny here folks, i don't rate Tong as a DJ, but he has a great eye for talent, there are many producers out there who have him to thank for a career

Have to agree with Johnny here folks, i don't rate Tong as a DJ, but he has a great eye for talent, there are many producers out there who have him to thank for a career
    id be quietly confident that tong has some minions who bring him tracks.i doubt he actively seeks out new talent.seen him a few times and must say he was very dull(and i was looking forward to hear him)his dj skills are questionable also anytime ive seen him.
    i dont think hes as relevent as some of the other djs on the radio 1 roster.id say annie mac is better at breaking new tracks these days than tong.
    as for rampling,i wont bother typing much.hes definitely past his prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Bloody hell:rolleyes:

Sean that's true - i doubt he spends the time unearthing all the new tracks...but still, credit where credit is due. In fairness to him he sounds great on radio.....talking about the essential mix guests and the like. Wouldnt pay to see him though....

On another tip, someone please book Dennis Ferrer...legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Photojoe

jonny68 wrote: »
    That's your opinion about Tong mate and your welcome to it, but aren't you primarily into Drum & Bass & Dubstep?

I personally have seen Tong a number of times and have never seen him play a bad set and have always liked and rated him hence my opinion until some fool came on and thread spoiled (funny the person is relatively new as well mmm:rolleyes:) Tong's BBC show is still exceptionally popular and he is credited as being the man who can make someone in dance music and has made stars out of many people in dance music aka the essential new tune on his show and the person or act in question have gone onto to big things so that doesn't sound like someone who doesn't know the score nothing to do with me at all.

Danny Rampling did indeed retire about 2 years back and bought a restaurant and tried his hand at some other business ventures but said he still never lost touch with the scene so has decided to make a comeback which is fair enough, Rampling is an immensely talented DJ in fact one of the best ive ever seen and i don't say that lightly either so i totally refute that he is not a first rate DJ,he was very good broadcaster as well.

I respect your views man at least your not patronising like others you always put your point across in a decent manner, no one here asides from a few would be into HCB and i wouldn't expect otherwise,it's a very underground scene an i hope it stays that way, i love it and that's it as far as im concerned.

Wise old veteran, jaysus you make me sound like some old wizard with a long grey beard standing around a magic ball or something im not that bleedin old man.:)

The hardcore breaks scene? haha, there is none, you read about it online or in some magazine and thought you would attach yourself to it as a gesture to staying modern. Why do you even bother with this forum. Its clear that you are not actually into electronic music.

This thread was supposed to be about who you personally were planning to see this year, but it seems to have decended into bashing peoples choices.....so I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome all the Dance Music Ireland crew to the forum.

;)
    Most of us, myself included, have been here for over 6 years so the welcome is unnecasary. The 35+ demographic and polite circle jerk banter has kept me away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Photojoe wrote: »
    Most of us, myself included, have been here for over 6 years so the welcome is unnecasary. The 35+ demographic and polite circle jerk banter has kept me away.

Don't worry, there's enough of us who don't see the Asylum/Sides as the pinnacle of human development to keep it interesting :D

Wouldn't mind seeing Nathan Fake, James Holden, Extrawelt or any of the Border Community crowd in Dublin. Might hit fatboy slim in August, weather permitting. Hoping to be doing stage crew for Orbital as well, so fingers crossed.

As for the other argument... I think that, in relation to both DJ's,
    po2005613178993.L.jpg

• Advertisement

Jimi you can lob Jive Bunny himself into that category as well. How that prick is still getting big gigs over a decade after his ****ty big beat hits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

finally good to see this place is getting a little edgy.

I've always wondered if the whole 'hardcore breaks' stuff johnny goes on with is really more a figment of his imagination than anything actually real or relevant.

Anywho, anyone going to see Martin Buttrich next weekend?

The hardcore breaks scene? haha, there is none, you read about it online or in some magazine and thought you would attach yourself to it as a gesture to staying modern. Why do you even bother with this forum. Its clear that you are not actually into electronic music.
    don't even know im bothering entertaining a troublemaker like you but again your making a fool of yourself which you appear to do everytime you post on this website.:rolleyes:

no hardcore breaks scene is there :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcore_breaks

http://www.imorecords.com/Products/hardcorebreaksnurave/full-catalogue/0/
    http://www.hardcorebreakbeat.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

That is music is tripe! Id associate it with blokes in baseball caps an tracksuits driving their glanza's, your not exactly doing yourself justice here johnny.

Edit: went back for a second listen and its still terrible! :D
    Different strokes I suppose

+1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

• Advertisement

Sean that's true - i doubt he spends the time unearthing all the new tracks...but still, credit where credit is due. In fairness to him he sounds great on radio.....talking about the essential mix guests and the like. Wouldnt pay to see him though....

On another tip, someone please book Dennis Ferrer...legend
    he has his place but i imagine any of the other radio 1 jocks could easily slip into his spot and present the show.its a self sustaining institution now.
    not trying to claim tong hasnt done a great job but you could compare him to the likes of judge jules.
    agree about dennis ferrer.
    chuck love is one i want to see again

That is music is tripe! Id associate it with blokes in baseball caps an tracksuits driving their glanza's, your not exactly doing yourself justice here johnny.

Edit: went back for a second listen and its still terrible! :D
    Different strokes I suppose

no problem mate your entitled to your opinion and that's fine, i like it and that's all i personally give a fcuk about.:)

don't even know im bothering entertaining a troublemaker like you but again your making a fool of yourself which you appear to do everytime you post on this website.:rolleyes:

no hardcore breaks scene is there :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcore_breaks

http://www.imorecords.com/Products/hardcorebreaksnurave/full-catalogue/0/
    http://www.hardcorebreakbeat.com/

A troublemaker? **** sake, are you my teacher or something?

From that wikepedia.
    Hardcore Breaks together with Rave Breaks and J-tek is considered to be part of the Nu-Rave scene.
    Come off it, some **** just made up all those names on the spot. Rave breaks? ha. I'm sure they do exist in the mind of 3-4 producers out there in the world but I will repeat it. There is no scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

Anyway back on topic.

I hope the Djs I want to see fall into the category of "acceptable" by
    the clicky brigade and Im not ridiculed from a height by said people.

Anyway I'd love to see
    2000 And One, havent heard any of his live sets but love his release "Heritage" and if his sets have tunes anyway similar to whats on this I'd be lepping round the place..

Mark Farina is another DJ I'd love to see.

And yes if Danny Rampling was playing anywhere I would go to see him.
    Haven't said that Mixmag Live #1 is possibly the worst mixed Cd I've ever heard. I still would go and see him however for sentimentality more than anything.

Tony Humphries was possibly the best gig I was at last year so would love to see him again.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Lots I'd love to see but most pretty unlikely and some been here over the last while and I didn't make it...

Monolake (I can dream!)
    Deadbeat
    Echospace
    Convextion (here a few weeks ago but missed him)
    Move D (also missed him :( )
    Mikkel Metal
    Anders Ilar
    Pendle Coven

To name a few!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 drim3r

Chemical Brothers
    Depeche Mode
    Kraftwerk

Sander van Doorn
    Greg Downey
    John O'Callaghan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Anywho, anyone going to see Martin Buttrich next weekend?

I would have been but am heading over to Edinburgh for the Leinster match instead. Should be a great night.

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    I would have been but am heading over to Edinburgh for the Leinster match instead. Should be a great night.

ah a fellow techno and rugby fan! Good man. If I had the tickets/time to go to edinburgh I'd be there in a heartbeat.

A techno loving rugby fan? That's a rarity....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

Why? I'm one and know plenty of others!

As do I.

Think it ties in with the fact that some people see both techno and rugby as being the interests of the elitist middle class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Gregor tresher
    James zabiela (again)
    Sasha (coming up soon loved the involver2 album)
    Trentemoller
    Chymera
    Ladytron
    Gaiser

Edit: Progidy at slane should be a good day. Few more im sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

As do I.

Think it ties in with the fact that some people see both techno and rugby as being the interests of the elitist middle class.

in fairness, southsiders love both.

My 2 favourite things. I think they go hand in hand personally but understand what you mean. You dont hear many people in the Horseshow House or Searsons trying to rise the troops to head off for a rave up after the Leinster match on a Friday night.

My 2 favourite things..
    and mine. only time I'm not working on music is when there's a match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think it's just that the stereotypes don't match.

And we all know that stereotypes are gospel, roysh!

and mine. only time I'm not working on music is when there's a match.

Good man. What you think our chances against Leictster? The way he is playing I wouldnt want to be standing between O'Driscoll and a Heineken Cup medal.

Good man. What you think our chances against Leictster? The way he is playing I wouldnt want to be standing between O'Driscoll and a Heineken Cup medal.

agreed. it's gonna be a whopper of a game. and most likely a very close result.

I'm the same and shall be over in Edinburgh that day. Anybody who is surprised by a techno loving rugby fan hasn't got their stereotypes right.

yeah i'm a little confused why somebody is surprised by this.

As far as stereotypes go:

Rugby fans - middle class, somewhat educated, snobs

Techno fans - middle class, somewhat educated, snobs.

Unless you are referring to 'techno' in the sense that jonny refers to 'techno'. Then I can see why it would seem odd.

Unless you are referring to 'techno' in the sense that jonny refers to 'techno'. Then I can see why it would seem odd.
    Its a fair appraisal. Being middle class rocks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Interesting point... I'm not a rugby fan, but unfortunately for me, most of my mates are. I am a big techno fan however, but unfortunately most of my mate's are not. I wish it was the other way around...

What annoys me is that the average person associates "Techno" with nackers.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Zascar wrote: »

What annoys me is that the average person associates "Techno" with nackers.

That's because the average person doesn't know what techno is! Best left that way too probably :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I get an awfull slagging of my mates for my interest in the genre.
    Your Order Is Complete
    Thanks for using Ticketmaster. Your order number is 32-25902/UK2

Qty Event/Item Venue: Delivery
    1 Boys Noize
    Sun 31 May 2009, 23:00
    The Academy
    Dublin, Mail *

• Advertisement

I get an awfull slagging of my mates for my interest in the genre.

I'll see ya there!

Id also like to see Dimitri From Paris as he was supposed to play here a few months ago in Tripod and i was on the guest list but he canceled at the last minute, also Joey Beltram and Juan Atkins as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Mau5

Deadmau5, Crookers, Japenese Popstars, Tiga, Boys Noize, Digitalism, Dr.Lecktroluv, Felix Da Housecat, MSTRKRFT, Bloody Beetroots.

seen MSTRKRFT, Boys Noize and Bloody Beetroots before and they were great!

Mau5 wrote: »
    Deadmau5, Crookers, Japenese Popstars, Tiga, Boys Noize, Digitalism, Dr.Lecktroluv, Felix Da Housecat, MSTRKRFT, Bloody Beetroots.

seen MSTRKRFT, Boys Noize and Bloody Beetroots before and they were great!

Are you my twin sir? :eek:

Given the name, how come ya didn't catch the mau5 at Tripod last October?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

My wishlist.

Mr Scruff( in June, thankfully)
    London Elecktricity
    Plump DJ's
    Toxic Avenger
    Hype
    Soul of Man

That would be ****ing sweet.

SRFC90 wrote: »
    Are you my twin sir? :eek:

Given the name, how come ya didn't catch the mau5 at Tripod last October?

I didnt know who he was then! im kicking myself now for not going though.. couple of my mates went and said it was one of the best gigs they had been to!

seeing him this summer though cant wait! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Mau5 wrote: »
    I didnt know who he was then! im kicking myself now for not going though.. couple of my mates went and said it was one of the best gigs they had been to!

seeing him this summer though cant wait! :D

He will be old news by the summer hopefully :pac:

Unfortunately he will more likely be the new Tiesto. Cue the deadmouse debate

Edit couldn help myself:

I was at that gig in tripod although it was a great gig, in the time from when I bought the tickets and the gig taking place I had totally gone off him. He has the stars in his eyes and he will do anything to drain every penny he can out of his career.
    His music has gone from excellent to rubbish as he realizes alot of people will buy his stuff because he wears a stupid hat.

To cover myself this is my opinion. And to add I recommend he loses the hat and get back to DJ'ing.

On topic id really love to see Gaiser :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Saw dj steffi tonight, very good, will be hoping to see her again

He will be old news by the summer hopefully :pac:

Unfortunately he will more likely be the new Tiesto. Cue the deadmouse debate

Edit couldn help myself:

I was at that gig in tripod although it was a great gig, in the time from when I bought the tickets and the gig taking place I had totally gone off him. He has the stars in his eyes and he will do anything to drain every penny he can out of his career.
    His music has gone from excellent to rubbish as he realizes alot of people will buy his stuff because he wears a stupid hat.

To cover myself this is my opinion. And to add I recommend he loses the hat and get back to DJ'ing.

On topic id really love to see Gaiser :)

yeah i agree with ya there a bit, he has gone a bit too commercial although i still think his music is quality.
    in fairness though, say if you were in that position, youd milk every penny you could get from it!

another one i want to see this august is fatboy slim :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dish

Deadmau5
    The Prodigy
    Swedish House Mafia
    Sasha
    Eddie Halliwell
    Mark Knight
    Kim Fai
    Dubfire
    Sven Vath
    Richie Hawtin
    Eric Morillo
    Pete Tong
    John Digweed
    Adam Beyer

Ibiza here i come!:D

A richie hawtin fan who likes eddie halliwell!? When u goin man? Im off 6th June-September.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement