Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

post grad study in uk- grants etc

Options
  • 11-05-2009 2:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

Im looking into some courses in the uk

1 year Masters mainly in Engineering

what is the situation with funding for this? do the institutes themselves awards grants to students who are accepted or is there aid available from here in Ireland.?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Universities normally have bursaries and scholarships, the websites should have all the info. There's no Irish grant for studying in Britain.

Maybe a sticky for this kind of thing might be useful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Also looking for information on taking on a post grad in the North of Ireland.
    I believe Dublin Corporation have something, anybody know anything about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

The grants system covers Northern Ireland the same as it would in the Republic; if you're eligible for local authority support for postgrad studies you'll get it regardless of whether the course is at UCD or QUB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 herself.there

For elibibiliity for grants you can check studentfinance.ie or ring stuedent finace section of department of education on 057-9324381. I just rang them there because i have been accepted for masters in UK too and they say I get nah'ting!

I looked into a career development loan but you have to be resident in uk for over 3 years (flippin freestaters!)

I'm off investigating other sources though so I'll report back with my findings (and anyone who finds out anything too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 BrendanMG

I'm off investigating other sources though so I'll report back with my findings (and anyone who finds out anything too)

Any developments on this? I'm faced with the same predicament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭crinkley

BrendanMG wrote: »
    Any developments on this? I'm faced with the same predicament.
    if your eligible you will get hte grant but you won't get your fees paid if the college isn't in Ireland or NI

Whats HTE??

Whats HTE??

its a typ is should be THE

crinkley wrote: »
    if your eligible you will get hte grant but you won't get your fees paid if the college isn't in Ireland or NI

Can you still get the grant if you study in the UK? I thought I wouldn't get it if I were studying in the UK. Are you sure of this?

That would be a bit of good news at least.

BrendanMG wrote: »
    Can you still get the grant if you study in the UK? I thought I wouldn't get it if I were studying in the UK. Are you sure of this?

That would be a bit of good news at least.

Assuming we're all talking about postgrad study...

Yes, you can get a grant for NI too, but not for the rest of the UK for postgrad study.

• Advertisement

Yeh that's what I thought, it's available for NI but not for the rest of the UK.

And yes, I meant postgrad study alright.

you can still get the maintenance grant but your fees won't be paid for the UK. check out citizeninformation.ie and they will tell you everything you need to know

i rang them weeks ago, they said that for an MA in the UK i'm not entitled to anything, grant or fees. that I would only qualify if studying in NI or being an undergrad in UK

i rang them weeks ago, they said that for an MA in the UK i'm not entitled to anything, grant or fees. that I would only qualify if studying in NI or being an undergrad in UK

This is exactly what I've picked up from the various forums & websites I've hunted on for information.

Neither fees nor grants maintenance is an option if studying a postgraduate Masters outside of Ireland or Northern Ireland. If it was being studied in Ireland, either north or south of the border, then grant maintenance would be available, but fees would not be paid for because a postgrad. is considered as a second run through the education system, and the State has already paid the fees for your undergraduate degree.

This brings me onto the next question. Assuming UK bursaries are not an option for me, and the postgrad route is an effort to try better myself & get off the dole queue, is there any other sort of funding available, or can I continue to avail of the dole while I study the postgrad?

Advertisement