Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFIV Regular Fightstick - Any good?

Options
  • 11-05-2009 4:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Hi there. I'm giving serious thought to getting a stick because I've learnt that its much easier to execute certain moves or combos (Akira's true dragon lance combo for example) from trying out the thumbstick on the 360.

Anyway, I've heard about a few sticks (EX2, SFIV fightstick and TE edition stick). I heard the EX2 breaks easily which is a shame because only costing round £40, its nearly half the price of the next one up which is the SFIV Regular Edition stick.

Anyway, because I can't afford the TE edition, I thought that I should just go for the middle one which is the regular fightstick. However, I've read some worrying reviews about the joystick screwing up because of some dodgy washers. Now, of course, if that were to happen, I can always send it in to Mad Catz to sort out but that means more money needs to be paid for postage and packaging and even if it didn't cost much to send, its just a hassle that I'd rather avoid.

So, what I'd basically like to ask, has this problem been fixed with later sticks or is it a lotto with all sticks? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

IIRC it's a lotto.
    But a replacement stick from Seimitsu or Sanwa costs <€20.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If you're new to stick, then you won't even notice the difference between stock and sanwa parts.

If it's in your price range go for it.

I've not heard any bad reviews about the EX sticks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Ordered myself a Regular MC Fightstick the other day.

I remember seeing an hour long preview vid for SF4 on 1up with a couple of top US players who were using the regular and tourny stick. At some point they talked about them saying both sticks were really good and if you really could afford to throw money away then get the TE stick, but there is very little difference between both and they didn't care which one they used.

When ordering mine I had the same logic as chopper. I'm new to sticks so I wont notice a difference at all, and if it gets to the stage where I've become so advanced at the game and I notice the stick hindering me (unlikely to happen) I'll be willing to invest in an amazing stick of some variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Well, when I say screwing up, I don't mean like a small fault in the calibration or anything like that. One guy said that UF and UB stopped working altogether so thats something I think anyone would notice.

Well, about the EX2, its not from what I've read but from what I heard when I was at the SFIV tournament. Two guys brought in their EX2 sticks and both said that a button broke. Although, I now remember reading that a review where it was said that if you're a serious gamer who plays (or aiming to be) a high level, then the EX2 would break after a while.

Generally, although I take my gaming more seriously than the average player, I am a careful owner of all my gaming stuff.

I did consider getting the EX2 then just buy Sanwa parts so that way I'd have the same hardware thats used in the TE edition but at a fraction of the cost but I heard that getting Sanwa parts would actually add up to the price of the TE edition altogether.

I guess its not the end of the world if I have to send it back in to Mad Catz to repair it. You never know, they might replace the parts with Sanwa parts out of good will :p

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Well, when I say screwing up, I don't mean like a small fault in the calibration or anything like that. One guy said that UF and UB stopped working altogether so thats something I think anyone would notice.

Well, about the EX2, its not from what I've read but from what I heard when I was at the SFIV tournament. Two guys brought in their EX2 sticks and both said that a button broke. Although, I now remember reading that a review where it was said that if you're a serious gamer who plays (or aiming to be) a high level, then the EX2 would break after a while.

Generally, although I take my gaming more seriously than the average player, I am a careful owner of all my gaming stuff.

I did consider getting the EX2 then just buy Sanwa parts so that way I'd have the same hardware thats used in the TE edition but at a fraction of the cost but I heard that getting Sanwa parts would actually add up to the price of the TE edition altogether.

I guess its not the end of the world if I have to send it back in to Mad Catz to repair it. You never know, they might replace the parts with Sanwa parts out of good will :p

Almost everyone I know (including myself) who has had an EX2 has had issues with one button or more after extended play.If you intend to get an EX2 and modding it you're going to need to solder the buttons as it doesn't come with quick disconnects like the MadCatz sticks.

If you did get the regular MadCatz stick it would be extremely easy to switch out the buttons and stick as it does have the quick disconnects and the cost of a seimitsu/sanwa set of buttons and stick is only gonna cost around E30 from somewhere like arcadeshop.de.I'd go for the regular MadCatz if I were you,get a feel for it first before doing any mods and if you think it's necessary buy the seimitsu or sanwa pats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Regular fightsticks are back up on Amazon.co.uk @ €90 delivered (only 3 left.)
    Just ordered one myself there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭MarthaT

The Wal wrote: »
    Regular fightsticks are back up on Amazon.co.uk @ €90 delivered (only 3 left.)
    Just ordered one myself there.

thats a good price

ipod.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Is there any chance we can keep this stickied and people post links as to exactly where we can still get these?

Tried to purchase em from gameseek but the amount of issues I've been having with the paypal system.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Ivan wrote: »
    Is there any chance we can keep this stickied and people post links as to exactly where we can still get these?

Tried to purchase em from gameseek but the amount of issues I've been having with the paypal system.

Theres been 2 SE sticks in stock in Forbidden Planet in Belfast for £99 each(down from an even more ridiculous £120),I think they only have PS3.

They have the pads for PS3 too @ £35.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

i'll be getting my hands on a regular stick shortly. Will report back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

an ex 2 is fine in reality. the buttons will wear out and need soldering desoldering to replace, but that will be a good bit in the future plus its an excuse to learn how to solder :)

you wouldnt spunk all your money on 59 strat if you couldn't actually play guitar now would ya.

All I want is one of those bog-standard Madcatz fightsticks, the ones that RRP for €80 and preferably not with 20-40 quid mark-up from the likes of Amazon...

And gameseek really are a fail delivery company from what little interaction I've had with them, well maybe the fault is more Paypals, but nonetheless I still dont have my joysticks :(

All I want is one of those bog-standard Madcatz fightsticks, the ones that RRP for €80 and preferably not with 20-40 quid mark-up from the likes of Amazon...

And gameseek really are a fail delivery company from what little interaction I've had with them, well maybe the fault is more Paypals, but nonetheless I still dont have my joysticks :(
    You're a constant dissapointment to me.

Jim wrote: »
    You're a constant dissapointment to me.
    I aim to please... but my aim has been a little off lately, I must admit. Still, all those angry spiteful people who have paid me to disappoint you are quite happy. So I think overall, it all works out... ;

But On-Topic: I need some fightsticks, like 6-7 of them at this stage... Gameseek have been utterly fail thus far especially since they wont deliver outside of the UK and my efforts to circumvent this by having it delivered to a friend in the UK have met with some serious resistance :(

My SE Madcatz fightstick arrived Friday, have put in 5 or so hours on it and so fare am really pleased with it.
    The difference in charge characters vs pad (I was using a madcatz fightpad,) is huge, every charge move and ultra is way easier.

Getting used to a stick is bloody hard though, especially the button lay out.

Where did you order yours, The Wal?

Where did you order yours, The Wal?

Got it off Amazon of £69 (RRP I think.) Plus 5 odd quid delivery.
    Was €90 all in after delivery and conversion.

You have to be quick, they sell out from Amazon themesleves quite quickly, and then the resellers are left and the going rate for them is £100 it would seem.

Edit - They have 6 in stock right now direct from Amazon - £69 here

You'd want to be quick though!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Make that 5! Impulse buys for the win. It's about €93 all together when you factor everything in, just so ye know.

I tried to buy 5, for me and some others in work looking for them, but only seems to let me order one at a time...
    They deliver them to Ireland too, which is cool. So cheers for that The Wal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

After playing with it for a couple of hours, seems like a decent stick - good weight to it, better buttons than the EX2 (better in every way than the EX2 really, not difficult :pac:). Hope the washer issue is really fixed and I don't have to mod it too fast.

edit: Just noticed there is a definite weird squeaking noise when moving from right > up-right > up. Feck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Decided to make the big switch from fightpad to fight stick, anyone know where to get these for less than 100 squid?

amazon.co.uk had the regular madcatz sticks in for around 95-100 delivered the other day, check there occasionally I guess - though if you get the same problem I think I have you may have to change the stick which'll cost you another 20 quid.

Buy an EX2 otherwise, cheap and good enough to learn to play using a stick on.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    amazon.co.uk had the regular madcatz sticks in for around 95-100 delivered the other day, check there occasionally I guess - though if you get the same problem I think I have you may have to change the stick which'll cost you another 20 quid.

Buy an EX2 otherwise, cheap and good enough to learn to play using a stick on.

TBH I think I would prefer to have the 4 set of buttons for ultras, but what do you guys think? Is it at all necessary or it it easy enough to pull them out by pressing all three buttons?

It's best to learn how to play on 6-buttons, as this way you're teaching your fingers how to deal with only that amount of inputs -- handy if you ever go to Japan or the like ;)

I learned on an EX2 and have no problem pressing all 3 buttons to do ultras - now that I'm on the Madcatz stick I just set the last buttons to "No Function" in the SF4 options. And this is playing as Zangief who probably has to press PPP/KKK more than any other character except for Gen. :pac:

Savage EX2 it is, now to track one down...

Interesting.
    I'd advise anyone thinking of dual-modding (making sticks work on PS3+360) to buy 360 sticks, as it's much easier to make a 360 stick compatible with PS3 than vice-versa.

Advertisement