Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fluke and worm

• 11-05-2009 9:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

Was feeding some yearling meal yesterday eve... there on grass now 7 weeks..
    Noticed a few of them coughing and hoosing after eating.....
    what is the best all round dose to get for them??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

trodax be the job for the fluke!
    also give a shot of it to all stock-especially cows..on turn-on!

i use virabec/noromectin pour on! most worms are gd..

what i have used is curafluke--dose..back end of last year,for the weanlings,seem ok! just harder to administrate than injection/pour on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I generally, do the weanlings with Noromectin pour-on around early july and then again about 4 weeks before weaning.
    Because of the wet year they are already advising to do them now (early may).
    I notice some of mine coughing aswell. It is well worth doing. If you work out the cost it is very cheap and will re-pay big time with reduced pneumonia etc and generally better thrive.

The best bit of advice I got (Via Farmers Journal) was to do them a month before weaning. They will need some time to cough up the dead worms, in fact the coughing will get noticeably worst after dosing. They will be then strong and healthy when weaning comes around.

Remember also, that some of these pour-ons don't cover for Fluke (Noromectin doesn't as far as I know).

An interesting thing I heard also, on a UK farm vet programme was to delay dosing replacement heifers. This allows their immunity to develop further and will serve them in the future when they become cows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

Just to follow up on previous post, as far as i know there is no pour on that does fluke (i work in a pharmacy that sells dosing) in Ireland. I think there is one in new zealand although i am open to correction!

the best all round dose technically would prehaps be closamectin injection. it contains ivermectin which does worms(hoose) and lice and also contains closantel (i think thats the one) which does adult and late immature fluke (basically fluke which is older than 4 weeks). it is 2ccs per hundred weight / 50 kilos under the skin.
    the alternative would be ivomec super which also contains ivermectin and contains clorsulon which kills adult fluke only (fluke older than ten weeks). Its fairly pricy though.

if you are only worried about worms then just use noromectin/ecomectin/bimectin generally anything with mectin at the end they are all the same. this will take care of worms and less and is generally very cheap. comes in a pour on or injection.

some commentaters recomend that on turn out give them a run of the land for about four weeks first and then dose them. its believed that this will help clean up the pasture as well as provide a good worming. however there is a fair bit of debate about what strategy should be employed. the standard one would be treat all non adult cattle for fluke and worm and treat all adult cattle for fluke. this is based on the assumption that adult cattle develop an immunity to worms although there has been evidence recently of cows suffering from hoose (lungworms).

also levacide injection / pour on is very good for lungworms and is a different drug to the ivomec/noromectin/bimectin/ecomectin (these all contain ivermectin for worms so be aware it is good practice to use different doses to prevent resistance but all those listed contain the same drug so for example using ecomectin instead of noromectin is pointless because they are the same)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

Cheers KrazyClown. This was a very informative post.

What dosing would you recommend for 4-8 Month old Sucks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

flukiver is supposed to be the best for fluke and alot cheaper than trodax and you also dont get the yucky orange staining;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

if you arent worried about fluke then use noromectin/ecomectin/bimectin pour on or injection, injections are usually better if you are happy enough injecting, its 1cc per 50 kilos under the skin, better give too much (within reason) than too little.

if you want a fluke and worm in the injectables there is closamectin, ivomec super or in an oral dose there is albencare, fasinex super and one or two others.

i cant tell you if they will need to be treated for fluke, generally here (mayhoo!) they say if you have lowland you will have fluke (long story short the fluke needs a snail to live in first before it can live in a cow, its part of its lifecycle),they say if you have good upland you wont need to dose for fluke. to be perfectly honest i find it hard to believe any farm around here would not have fluke. i know one of the vets in dawn ballyhaunis and he reckons most of the livers they see are riddled with fluke. i think alot of farmers delude themselves into thinking they dont need to dose for fluke because of the expense and no doubt it is expensive.trodax is pretty much totally dominant in the market. however there is an alternative called Deldrax, by intervet. Believe it or not this is actually manufactured under license by the makers of Trodax (a crowd called merial, they also do ivomec). its usually a couple of euro cheaper and is made in the same factory as trodax so you can be sure its exactly the same quality!

my gut feeling would be to go for closamectin now and in a few weeks time when/if they start coughing again use an alternative wormer like levacide (which is quite cheap) or a white dose like panacur/fenben 10.

Disclaimer: everything i have said has come straight out of my head so i am open to being corrected and apologise if i have got something wrong. please dont take my advice. decide what you want to do, research your options, see whats available, have a chat with a few lads you trust who can give you an honest appraisal and use your own judgement. Know what you are buying and what it does.oh yah they all go into your animal remedies book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mad dog 5

Just a quick note.After reading these articles I found alot of the advice to be inaccurate which would result in unnecessary fatalities. in this instance i would strongly advice talking to the appropriate professional. When animals are coughing you have missed the appropriate interval in good worming programme. Consequence would be chronic ill thrift and deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jsheridan10

if they are coughing already use a white oral dose , the ivermectin types are too severe and will kill too much too quick apparently , wait a month then use an ivermectin plus zanil for liver and rumen fluke , thats according to our vet anyway !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

if they are coughing already use a white oral dose , the ivermectin types are too severe and will kill too much too quick apparently , wait a month then use an ivermectin plus zanil for liver and rumen fluke , thats according to our vet anyway !

Ah I'd say they are much better by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

krazyklown wrote: »
    Just to follow up on previous post, as far as i know there is no pour on that does fluke (i work in a pharmacy that sells dosing) in Ireland. I think there is one in new zealand although i am open to correction!

krazyklown 'Closamectin Pour On' will kill fluke and worms and is a pour on. Is expensive though.

No pouron fluke only product available in Ireland.

Just seen is a 2009 OP- sorry krazyklown

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

in the past we used the closamectin pour on for handiness, to be honest I didn't find it that wonderful :confused:
    Had some sucks coughing last week and we used a "not top brand" white drench on Saturday... coughing was 90% gone by Sunday evening :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

bbam wrote: »
    in the past we used the closamectin pour on for handiness, to be honest I didn't find it that wonderful :confused:
    Had some sucks coughing last week and we used a "not top brand" white drench on Saturday... coughing was 90% gone by Sunday evening :eek:

Personally I prefer the injectable version of Closamectin. Pain in the ass to use but works well. Pour on is popular as so easy to use, especially with the sociopathic cattle on farms these days :-)

White drenches can work well with lungworm but have no residual action.

Advertisement