Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare area local elections

Options
  • 11-05-2009 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

I see there's a thread on the local elections in Leixlip (not to mention lots of pole posters), so I thought I'd start one on the Kildare area (Newbridge, Kildare Town, Rathangan, Monasterevin, Allenwood, Milltown, Suncroft, Curragh Camp, Athgarvan, Brownstown, Kildangan).

It looks like the following will be the full-list of candidates....

Fianna Fáil
    Cllr Pat Black
    Cllr Suzanne Doyle
    Cllr Fiona O'Loughlin

Fine Gael
    Cllr Micháel 'Spike' Nolan
    Tony O'Donnell
    Mark Stafford

Labour
    Cllr Francis Browne
    Adrian Kane

Green
    John Hardt

Sinn Féin
    Sean Downey

Independents
    Paddy Kennedy
    Murty Aspell

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Cl0ud9

Decisions, decisions....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Xander1971

also Emma Kiernan for Fine Gael, man she's a hotty ...18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Xander1971 wrote: »
    also Emma Kiernan for Fine Gael, man she's a hotty ...18

Emma's running for Newbridge Town Council - the names above are for the County Council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

Well I certainly wont be voting for Fianna fail or the Greens. I still remember Aine Brady standing in the setanta regarding the education cuts trying to talk the government out of the hole they got us all into, and a month later they were announcing more cuts, this time to education for special needs children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Not sure what way I'll be going, but I'll be voting the person NOT the party as these are local elections and we need people in the councils that understand LOCAL issues.

Only problem is I don't see much about their policies & what they want to do except for the standar porr, elderly, disabled & children bullsh1t which is the same as "world peace" in miss world terms!

Which candidates have knowledge and wherewithall of business, business rates & employment?

Which candidates ahve knowledge of traffic flows and parking problems and what do they propose.

And which candidates did good work in the past 5 years and not just the past 5 weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

aodh_rua wrote: »
    I see there's a thread on the local elections in Leixlip (not to mention lots of pole posters), so I thought I'd start one on the Kildare area (Newbridge, Kildare Town, Rathangan, Monasterevin, Allenwood, Milltown, Suncroft, Curragh Camp, Athgarvan, Brownstown, Kildangan).

It looks like the following will be the full-list of candidates....

Fianna Fáil
    Cllr Pat Black
    Cllr Suzanne Doyle
    Cllr Fiona O'Loughlin

Fine Gael
    Cllr Micháel 'Spike' Nolan
    Tony O'Donnell
    Mark Stafford

Labour
    Cllr Francis Browne
    Adrian Kane

Green
    John Hardt

Sinn Féin
    Sean Downey

Independents
    Paddy Kennedy
    Murty Aspell

FF - never again

FG - Spike Nolan came to my door and pretending to write down something when I spoke. Could read the scrawl upside down and it was nothing. Think he is builder so no vote. Others....who ?

Labour - I still grin when I think of Francis Browne coming to my door last election. I caught him mid leaflet drop and run. He said "vote for me", I said "why", he just shrugged his shoulders and said "I don't know", and turned away. I fell back in my door laughing. No vote. Never heard of the other one.

Green - no chance

Sinners - no chance. Mention the North and I will close my door on you. Could'nt give a monkeys.

Independant - Paddy Kennedy. He gets my vote. Came to the door last time and this time round. Actually engaged in conversation instead of leaflet drop and run. Genuine Newbridge person who actually seems to care what happens in the town.

Independant - Murty Aspel. I know the name but still cannot place him ! Probably a no.

Will be voting Paddy Kennedy No.1, nobody gets 2,3 etc.

The Newbridge Chamber of Commerce are hosting a debate between the Kildare area County Council candidates and Newbridge Town Council candidates tomorrow night (Wed May 20) in the Keadeen from 7:30pm. The meeting will be chaired by Ger Colleran, editor of the Star.

Also - Spike is a sales rep, and has never been a builder as far as I know.

aodh_rua wrote: »
    The Newbridge Chamber of Commerce are hosting a debate between the Kildare area County Council candidates and Newbridge Town Council candidates tomorrow night (Wed May 20) in the Keadeen from 7:30pm. The meeting will be chaired by Ger Colleran, editor of the Star.

Must buy some eggs !!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Hardly helpful Damien360. Neither is this "hot or not", folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Francis Brown may not be the sharpest tool in the box but he as managed to get some good work done especially around South Kildare. Personalities may be the way to go as opposed to party lines but I will certainly not vote for FF as a protest for f*****g up the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Does anyone know what the candidates (Kildare area, not Newbridge town council) have actually achieved in the past? I'd like to vote for the more effective candidates but its hard to find out anything other that the usual promises of great things in the future...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Alz®

Lets be honest what has anyone of those electee's done for Kildare ??

I doubt i'll vote any TBH

245 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the candidates (Kildare area, not Newbridge town council) have actually achieved in the past? I'd like to vote for the more effective candidates but its hard to find out anything other that the usual promises of great things in the future...

Some of the candidates are online....

Fiona O'Loughlin - FF
    Tony O'Donnell - FG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Alz®

Damien360 wrote: »

Will be voting Paddy Kennedy No.1, nobody gets 2,3 etc.

You were 100%

He called earlier and seemed quite a gentleman

Didnt promise like other eejits do/did in the past..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

An example of some careless hanging of posters in Celbridge

http://campbells.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=mix&thread=628&page=4

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sillymoo2007

I've been working and living in newbridge now for nearly 2 years and have registered to vote here. I'm not a local so I probably will vote party over person as I dont know any of the candidates and none have called to the door or dropped leaflets in !!

I've been working and living in newbridge now for nearly 2 years and have registered to vote here. I'm not a local so I probably will vote party over person as I dont know any of the candidates and none have called to the door or dropped leaflets in !!

How did you find a place where there are no leaflets. I fill a plastic bag every 2 weeks with the amount of junk mail promising the sun, moon and stars.

Hard to say how you will get to know the candidates but I generally make a point of not voting for anyone who could'nt even be arsed to at least leaflet drop.

Local elections are for local issues. Party aligning makes no differnence. Generally councillors vote without fear of a party whip intervening. On the other hand, they are like sheep and little or no real debate occurs.

If you live in Newbridge then at least give your vote to those who actually reside in the town and beware of any parachuted in to split the vote. Parachuting not really an issue in local elections anyway.

Personally Paddy Kennedy gets my vote. At the very least you must have something needed in your area (speed ramps, lighting etc.), look up kildare co council website or phone book and get his number. Ring and see what he says. If its crap, knock him off the list and pick another. Might cost you a few quid (not much) but don't waste a vote and for god sakes don't spoil it as you have no right to complain when you are unhappy later.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

Only 3 days to the election and I have still not had 1 canditate knock on my door. My wife is there all day - so they have no excuse!

Not going to vote for someone in a 'local' election if they can't be even bothered to call in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 itsadeathtrap

Fianna Fáil all the way guys....
    i no the country is in a mess but the whole world is at the moment and the lonely party with any nohow is Fianna Fáil, might be a bitter pill form some people, but ye all no it.... the country will go straight down the tubes if enda and his buddies get in..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

i no the country is in a mess but the whole world is at the moment and the lonely party with any nohow is Fianna Fáil, might be a bitter pill form some people, but ye all no it.... the country will go straight down the tubes if enda and his buddies get in..

rubbish. years of government and almost zero progress. a windfall of an economic boom squandered. A developement boom ridden until it collapsed and not a single thing done to mitigate the obviously approaching fall from grace. Even when things started to go bad, no plan put forward for months despite calls from all quarters of society and when a plan did come forward, it was so clumsy and badly thought out that they had to gut their own proposals in order to retain popularity. (yeah, good luck). so I fail to see where this "nohow" (its knowhow by the way, or know-how, whichever you prefer) is showing itself. They ignored economists. They abandonded the general populace and pandered to the large businesses/banks. Some fat bejowled git in a hand tailored suit and a gold watch telling me (who has worked all the way through this "boom" with very little benefit to be seen apart from crippling house prices and rocketing inflation) that its "time to tighten our belts" and "we have all been living beyond our means" is a joke.

FF are using the worldwide downturn to cover their own ineptitude and lack of foresight (in local as well as national affairs).

FF do not deserve a single seat in any local or national stadium (or international for that matter). I know there are some extremely good FF councillers but honestly, while I think they have done good work in the past, I wont vote for them unless they run under an independant flag this time.

• Advertisement

twenty8 wrote: »
    Only 3 days to the election and I have still not had 1 canditate knock on my door. My wife is there all day - so they have no excuse!

Not going to vote for someone in a 'local' election if they can't be even bothered to call in.

What part of Kildare are you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ana ng

Thanks! Your articulate argument and elegant prose has convinced me.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 itsadeathtrap

Jesus ye guys must have got out of bed on the wrong side.
    all i am saying is that regardless of who is in power its not going to change the economy regardless of what anyone says, and i feel that FF aer the only party that has the 'KNOW-HOW' to get us out of this mess... i really think if people believe a new government with labour and FG will sort all this out it, will in-fact spell the end for our economy. this is my opinion and i think i am entitled to it... Dont be taken in by FG and labours false promises.

VOTE FF :):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

twenty8 wrote: »

Me either actually. Havent a clue who to vote for. Ive flicked through some of the leaflets that have dropped in the door but the leaflets Ive gotten dont have any policys on them or what they intend to do if you do vote them in. Its all, FF did this...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Damn!!

Sadly the only Candidate in Kildare town who seems to have done any good in the last few years is Suzanne Doyle, I'm stuck between my utter hatred of CowHen's F'nF and the fact that I've only seen the others at election times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MasterPo

Coates id running for office with FF. No vote for that boy. He and all of FF belong under a circus tent and not on any town council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MasterPo

Coates is running for office with FF. No vote for that boy. He and all of FF belong under a circus tent and not on any town council. :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Why is this country voting for them Blueshirts in FG or Labour. Hopefully this trend doesn't follow for a GE. Imagine Joan Burton as Minister for Finance or Richard Bruton for that matter. Brian Cowen is the worst leader of this country in my time. Thank God I'm not from this county. All the blueshirt signs make me sick. Think this county has voted FG because of Alan Dukes. Thank god we have no Blueshirt TD's. I'll give you that one lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Kurtza wrote: »
    Thank God I'm not from this county. .

But your county location says Kildare.?!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Damn!!

Election's over ..time to leave the thread to the trolls:)

Advertisement