Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Core i7 running hot?

Options
  • 11-05-2009 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I have just had a machine built with a Core i7 920 on an Asus P6T motherboard. I replaced the stock CPU fan with a Cooler Master V8 heatsink. However, the cores idle between 47 and 50 C, and when any stress at all is applied (e.g. video encoding), they jump to 78 C!

I have installed a further 2 fans in the case, with little effect. The case is a Lian-Li, plenty big.

I know that i7s run hotter than Core 2 Duos, but this seems a bit much. Does anyone have any experience with the Cooler Master heatsink on this chipset?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

That's a bit high all right. My Core i7 920 idles surround 34-38C on average and the cores rarely go above 60C under a heavy-ish load. Probably a good idea to reapply your thermal compound (I got the same temperatures as you're getting now due to incorrect application of thermal compound on the first attempt).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭tazire

is agree with mystical rain. im running mine at 3.5 and its not the D0 stepping. it idles at 37-42 and prime95 load maxes out at 75-80. im using a v8 also. and its just ****ty termal paste. i really must invest in some arctic silver. stupid me thought i had some when building.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 s0uthpaw

Thank you gentlemen. I will give some new thermal paste a go.

Advertisement