Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a single roof tile

Options
  • 11-05-2009 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭

Went up into my attic yesterday and noticed the sun shining in through a small hole in the roof. Went and investigated (using my Houdini skills .. it's a bungalow with a very low roof, trusses everywhere!), poked my hand out with my wife outside looking out for it, and discovered that one of the roof tiles had cracked diagonally, and the loose half had slid down the roof a little ways. In addition there was a hole in the membrane or whatever it is, presumably created by birds. Well, at least that explains the mould patch on the ceiling of the en-suite that was puzzling me :pac:

So, any idea how to approach this? I could get someone in to do it, but for such a small job, I'm wondering whether they'd even bother, and who would I look for, a roofer or a general purpose builder?

If I can do it myself, can I even get a single roof tile from a builders merchants, and are they sufficiently standardised that I'd be able to just walk in and get an identical one anyway?

What about repairing the existing one somehow ... is that even a realistic option? It's a thick cement(?) tile. Could it be repaired with some kind of mastic, perhaps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Did it allow in any rain? I suppose depending on the way the wind blows! Must be that time of the year. I have a dormer bungalow with a high ceiling and noticed a wet spot high up on wall and I think it coincides with the flashing, I think it is called, part of which has bubbled up, through wear and tear, me thinks!! But I would prefer to call in an expert, don't think I would even chance going on roof! Anyway, in this present economic climate, you should be able to get someone reasonable enough, depending on where you live. Unless you are absolutely sure I would be calling in, "one who knows".

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thanks. It's only a bungalow, and the tile in question is only 3 or 4 tiles up from the gutter line. It looks like it did let some water in, but luckily it's at the side of the house and is quite sheltered, so the wind wouldn't have blown too much in.

Anyway, I've got in touch with a good friend in the carpentry trade who's recommended a roofer he knows well, so hopefully I'll be able to get it sorted without getting ripped off.

Advertisement