Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interleaving and such...

Options
  • 11-05-2009 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

Firstly, apologies if this has already been covered - I couldn't find the exact info myself...
    I'm trying to understand the deal with Eircom and interleaving...
    I have a line capable of 2M max, and currently set on 1M_128K_RL (1M download, 128k upload)

Apparently R of F mean Rate Adaption® / Fixed (F) and H or L mean High or Low Interleaving...

]Thing is, I still don't have a clue which would be best to try... apparently the options on my account are shown below (all taken from a friend who has access to the Eircom Gateway, so should be correct - he's none the wiser, apparent :p)

160K_128K_FH
    1M_128K_RH
    1M_128K_RL
    256K_128K_FH
    512K_128K_FH

Anyone any advise on this?? (google didn't know too much... :rolleyes:)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd suggest you post up your SNR levels for people to know what your line quality is like

also I've fixed the formatting in your post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭zacseph

SNR levels (i think this is them, anyway):

Down Actual Bit Rate: 1024
    Down Attainable Bit Rate: 1888
    Down Attenuation: 64
    Down Noise Margin: 23
    Up Actual Bit Rate: 128
    Up Attainable Bit Rate: 832
    Up Attenuation: 35
    Up Noise Margin: 20

and thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'd ask your friend in eircom for the attenuation figures for your line. Modem attenuation reports can be suspect. The SNR is accurate for your modem, as it's a measure of how well the modem can understand the signal.

I'd say that line can do more than 2 mbps based on the noise margins. But check that attenuation first.

The line settings you're on are standard for most lines. Ping times will be good.

My line is the same except with high interleaving as it's a long line. The interleaving adds to stability but ping times to boards are 50 or so milliseconds.

Advertisement