Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Energy Suppliers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭UsedtobePC

Another thing to bear in mind is that Bord Gais guarantees 10% disc (plus DD disc of 2%) on year one and 5% on years 2 and 3 while Airtricity only guarantees the existing 11% until the 31st of Jan 2010 (not even one full year considering anybody signing up now won't be switched for at least 2 weeks) wihtout any discounts on subsequent years. That reason alone made my mind up for me in favour of BG.

By the way, I didn't get asked for any deposits, but then again i'm already a BG customer

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Also, don't forget to factor in DEPOSITS...
    This will be an upfront charge, that you'll get back (sometime) - but still something that you have to pay NOW.

I went with Airtricity for this very reason....no deposit... and they're almost on par as BG in cost. BG however, insist on a deposit... feck that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭broadsheet

At what stage are the ESB allowed to start fighting back?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

broadsheet wrote: »
    At what stage are the ESB allowed to start fighting back?

Have you not read any of this thread so far?
    There are some very good posts here explaining things.

Without going into too much detail, BG contractually promise to be a minimum of 10% below ESB rates in year one, 5% in years 2 and 3.
    There are no switching charges.
    Its a no brainer in my opinion, no matter how much you analyse when/if/why cant the ESB "fight back".
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Has anyone heard of another entrant for the market on the way? I heard a rumour of it today.

Yes that rumour is true. However the company haven't made a final decision yet. They're weighing up the options as to whether it's worth the trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

kippy wrote: »
    Have you not read any of this thread so far?
    I have my doubts anyone does. The amount of braindead "stick it to the esb despite the fact i know sweet fanny adams about them" posts is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Anyone here that switched on the first day of release still waiting on a final ESB bill ? I switched the first day, three weeks ago now and haven't got a finally ESB bill or any letters from Bord Gais :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I switched on first day in the end, nothing from ESB yet but Bord Gais advised me application has been approved

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

soc wrote: »
    Also, don't forget to factor in DEPOSITS...
    This will be an upfront charge, that you'll get back (sometime) - but still something that you have to pay NOW.

I went with Airtricity for this very reason....no deposit... and they're almost on par as BG in cost. BG however, insist on a deposit... feck that.

Not in all cases - I signed up with DD and they didn't look for one from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 beeper

Has anyone received any letters from ESB stating that they are closing off your account? Looking for some samples of these types of letters if anyone has any, from electricity/phone/Internet etc.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I got my final bill from the ESB alright, but I'm moving to Airtricity, not BG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

beeper wrote: »
    Has anyone received any letters from ESB stating that they are closing off your account? Looking for some samples of these types of letters if anyone has any, from electricity/phone/Internet etc.
    Thanks.

I got an email from Bord GAis welcoming me, but nothing yet from ESB.

Re telecoms, the losing operator can send out an approved letter (anti-slamming) but this is an option, and not always done.

By the way although when you switch in telecoms, the wholesale contract should cancel your retail one, it often doesn't, so cancel this too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭carlowguy32

Cabaal wrote: »
    I switched on first day in the end, nothing from ESB yet but Bord Gais advised me application has been approved

when i registered for bg last night it said it could take up to 60 days, i am with bord gas already for the heating, just wondering will we now get one bill every 2 months with gas and electricity combined or will we still get 2 separate bills??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭happy09

Just switched to Bord gais electricity! Hope it will save some €€€.

Irish Recession Blog -come on in and leave your comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

amtc wrote: »
    I got an email from Bord GAis welcoming me, but nothing yet from ESB.

Re telecoms, the losing operator can send out an approved letter (anti-slamming) but this is an option, and not always done.

By the way although when you switch in telecoms, the wholesale contract should cancel your retail one, it often doesn't, so cancel this too.

What you will get from the ESB is a bill and it will be marked Closing (or Final) Account. You will not get an exit or any other kind of letter. Maybe when the ESB are allowed to compete on a level playing field with the other suppliers (likely to take a few years) they will send out a "farewell and come back soon" type of letter but they are not allowed to at the moment.

I don't know what you mean by a wholesale contract as well as a retail one. All you need do when switching is quote your MPRN number and give a meter reading. Your new supplier will do the rest.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Changed last night to Board Gais.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Fnergg wrote: »
    What you will get from the ESB is a bill and it will be marked Closing (or Final) Account. You will not get an exit or any other kind of letter. Maybe when the ESB are allowed to compete on a level playing field with the other suppliers (likely to take a few years) they will send out a "farewell and come back soon" type of letter but they are not allowed to at the moment.
    Regards,

Fnergg

Wrong there Fnergg.

I got my final bill from ESB alright, marked Closing Acount.

Also got a letter from them confirming my a/c was being closed, which also stated:

"I would like to thank you for your business and should you require our services in the future, we would be more than happy to assist you.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at anytime by calling our Customer Care Centre, Mon to Sat 8am to 8pm, the number is......"

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

mick_irl wrote: »
    Wrong there Fnergg.

I got my final bill from ESB alright, marked Closing Acount.

Also got a letter from them confirming my a/c was being closed, which also stated..........

Thanks. I stand corrected!

Regards,

fnergg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭billyhead

As a matter of interest. I signed up to take part in the Smart Meter campaign with ESB two months ago. The meter has not been installed as of yet. I wa just wondering would it be too late to switch to Bord Gais i.e am I committed to staying with ESB now and would there be a breakout penalty if I tried to switch. If anyone knows the answer to this it would be much appreciated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's unlikely, as meters are handled by ESB Networks, not Customer Supply. However they're the people to ask, not us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

changed too, roll on 14%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

cgarvey wrote: »
    You might have more luck ringing them. I haven't received any response to 2 different queries.

I thought that was going to be a problem but in fairness they have just come back to me and confirmed that they will pass on the recent additional 2% reduction.

I'm not bothered about what is being promised next year as I will review again next year and switch if needs be. As I can't get 14% reduction (not currently BG customer), I'm happy enough with the best possible alternative - airtricitys 13%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

parsi wrote: »
    Isn't it an offence to quote ex-VAT prices when the advert is directed towards Home users?

I thought so, for about 10 years now

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

billyhead wrote: »
    As a matter of interest. I signed up to take part in the Smart Meter campaign with ESB two months ago. The meter has not been installed as of yet. I wa just wondering would it be too late to switch to Bord Gais i.e am I committed to staying with ESB now and would there be a breakout penalty if I tried to switch. If anyone knows the answer to this it would be much appreciated.

We got a smart meter installed about 2 days before we switched. There were no problems although obviously we're not taking part in the campaign anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭broadsheet

does the smart meters feed information back to the supplier thus avoiding meter reading?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

broadsheet wrote: »
    does the smart meters feed information back to the supplier thus avoiding meter reading?

Not for domestic customers yet. Its done already for people with a usage of 200 Kva or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I got my last ESB bill and "sorry to see you go" letter yesterday and the "Welcome to Bord Gas" letter today. So they are not taking long if you signed up online.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Untense

When this thread was originally started Airtricity were offering 10% discount (excluding Vat).
    They're now offering 13% (Including Vat) for Domestic Customers, and are now also giving the same guarantee to match ESB prices as BG are providing.

They are also by far the greenest option.
    So, on that final point I am going to go with Airtricity. I will still make great savings over what I was paying, with the bonus of having sweet dreams of polar bears tap dancing on ice bergs, knowing I'm now spewing 2 tonnes of carbon less per annum. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

I dont like Bord Gais, I pay a minimum fee every 2months which is to pay someone to come out to my house and check my meter. Have been paying this for 2years now and never have anyone out to my house and as a result I'm getting these ridiculous estimated bills in the door, getting over charged by 100euro sometimes. And as far as I know, if I dont check if what im being charged is or is not correct and i pay the bill than I have no arguement. IE its my fault. So whats the point of this monthly fee im paying???!!

Never have a problem with ESB they always charge the right amount, never have a hassle. Why would I want to save 10% on my bill when they are just going to estimate it and over charge you anyways??

Yes ESB do estimate as well but when they do check my reading they implement any refunds in your next bill. Bord Gais don't and expect you to check and charge you a bi-monthly fee for....me to check it??!! :(

I will pay the extra 10% to ESB as a tip for better service :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Just switched to Airtricity. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement