Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Energy Suppliers

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Why are people saying that by switching to airtricity you're going for the greener option when in reality they're only producing a small amount of the power needed
    But it's still more than the other providers, and that's a principle some people want to support.
    Fnergg wrote: »
    An Airtricity customer is getting the exact same mix of green and brown electrons down the wires into his/her house as his/her next door neighbour who is with another supplier.
    That's as maybe but Airtricity is still the company that produces the most green energy, and again that's a principle some people want to support.

You've been very good at posting facts and clarifying misconceptions and misleading statements Fnergg, please don't go down the route of those you're trying to correct, even if it's not meant maliciously.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

dahamsta wrote: »
    But it's still more than the other providers, and that's a principle some people want to support.

That's as maybe but Airtricity is still the company that produces the most green energy, and again that's a principle some people want to support.

You've been very good at posting facts and clarifying misconceptions and misleading statements Fnergg, please don't go down the route of those you're trying to correct, even if it's not meant maliciously.

adam

No problem at all with the principle, Adam. Yes, by supporting Airtricity one is helping them to further increase their green generation portfolio and that is perfectly laudable. I just wanted to dispel the naive and unscientific notion that by being an Airtricity customer one is getting green electricity while one's neighbour is getting brown electricity. You'd be amazed at the number of people who think that is the case.

Regards,

Fnergg

Thanks Fnergg.
    Fnergg wrote: »
    I just wanted to dispel the naive and unscientific notion that by being an Airtricity customer one is getting green electricity while one's neighbour is getting brown electricity.
    Airtricity aren't exactly innocent on that front, it has to be said.
    Airtricity wrote:
    How renewable is my electricity?

Airtricity is No.1 for Renewable Energy. We generate our electricity from wind. In order to meet the demands of our customers, we must top up our electricity at peak times. 79% of the electricity that we supply is renewable compared to only 9% being supplied by the ESB. More information on our renewable energy . We invoice our residential customers bi-monthly.
    It's not exactly making it clear. Still, the difference in renewable levels is enormous.

I might file a request for them to be more transparent on their website when I'm actually a customer. I'm in complaining mood.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

dahamsta wrote: »

I feel you.

This is from the Airtricity website FAQ:

"How does the electricity from Airtricity get to my house?

Wind turbines convert the kinetic energy in the wind into mechanical power, a generator converts the mechanical power into electricity. A windmill works the exact opposite of a fan. A fan uses electricity to make wind and a wind turbine uses wind to make electricity. The wind turns the blades, which spin a shaft. The shaft is connected to a generator which makes electricity.

Our electricity is transferred to the National Electricity Grid which is then supplied to all electricity customers. The ESB Networks manage the National Electricity Grid and is also responsible for all networks (meters / power lines etc)"

ESB Networks do not manage the national electricity grid: that is the responsibility of Eirgrid.

See where they state that their green generated electricity is supplied to *ALL* electricity customers. In other words, it is supplied into the generation "pool" from which all our individual electricity requirements are obtained. That electricity is a mix of all types of generation - wind, coal, gas, oil, etc.

Your Airtricity neighbour is getting the same type of electricity as you - from a mix of generation sources.

The idea that he/she is getting it from purely green sources is just marketing puff.

Still, Airtricty has invested significantly in wind and that is to be lauded even though wind generated electricity has to have conventional fossil fuel generation as a backup and so is not as green as people might think.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Advertisement

I saw that answer as well, I'm just making the point that they're not really making it clear to the people you're alluding to above. It all hangs off just one word in your quote for example "all", and it's still just a suggestion, not clear and transparent. It's nothing that would stop me buying from them, I just like my suppliers to be completely straight with their customers, and Airtricity is being a bit Del Boy in their marketing. Again, I'll have a word with them about it. Other people should too.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Well if this article is anything to go by, I'd run a mile from Bord Gais! The residential customer is obviously not a priority in terms of cost-saving

The CEO of Bord Gais thinks residential consumers should pay more in electricity to subsidise industrial consumers. :mad:

And these people get rewarded with bonuses for idiocy like that. What a moronic thing to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Hi, does anybody know if there is an initial deposit payable to Bord Gais for a customer seeking to avail of the "12% non direct debit current gas customer pricing"?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

has anyone actually switched to bord gas electricity and received a bill yet?was thinking of switching but wanted an idea of their bills first

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thier bills are 10-14% less than ESB (depending on if you are paying DD and are a Bord Gas customer already) whats to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

i applied online to bg on 21st feb, got an email from them 10 days later thanking me for joining them,
    still have received nothing.
    no closing bill from esb or welcome letter from bg yet.
    nearly 2 months down the road.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

rameire wrote: »
    i applied online to bg on 21st feb, got an email from them 10 days later thanking me for joining them,

I received my final bill a few weeks after transferring.

Thankfully it has been a much quicker (and more informative) process than my broadband/phone changeover.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

mike65 wrote: »
    Thier bills are 10-14% less than ESB (depending on if you are paying DD and are a Bord Gas customer already) whats to see?
    yes their bills claim to be 10-14% cheaper than esb but i was simply asking had anyone gotten their first bills from BG out of interest to see if this claim is true.

I currently get my bills at the start of every second month, esb last week, gas due beginning may.its handy as both bills dont come at the same time wondering if anyone is in the same situation and has changed over, are your bills still coming like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

In the same situation :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

mike65 wrote: »
    Thier bills Rates are 10-14% less than ESB (depending on if you are paying DD and are a Bord Gas customer already) whats to see?

They cant take 10-14% off the bill.
    They can take 10-14% off the Kwh rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

I also applied after a few days, got a holding email, and nothing since then. I wonder will I be better going with Airtricity?
    Not hearing good things about customer service @ Bord Gais, but I never had any need to contact them in 12 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

Brilliant customer service. They have an account here and are all ninja-like. I got a PM from Bord Gáis asking me did I want them to check the status of my switchover :)

You sneaky cats

• Registered Users Posts: 42 I.K.Brunel

The standard switching process that operates in the electricity market is that a customer is moved from one supplier to another at the next scheduled meter read date. It's the responsibility of the new supplier to implement the change on behalf of the customer

BGES claim 120,000 customers have so far "made the switch" but the actual numbers that have been processed is only about a quarter of this. BGES are seriously backlogged with applications.
    It takes time and customers should not assume that they have moved across from ESB to BGES/Airtricity until they receive a closing bill from ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

I.K.Brunel wrote: »
    The standard switching process that operates in the electricity market is that a customer is moved from one supplier to another at the next scheduled meter read date. It's the responsibility of the new supplier to implement the change on behalf of the customer

BGES claim 120,000 customers have so far "made the switch" but the actual numbers that have been processed is only about a quarter of this. BGES are seriously backlogged with applications.
    It takes time and customers should not assume that they have moved across from ESB to BGES/Airtricity until they receive a closing bill from ESB.

my last scheduled meter reading was one month after i applied which was now one month ago.
    and i have received a bill from esb, but not a closing bill.
    but received a pm from bg on boards today, just replied so will hopefull have an answer tomorrow.
    and i know it takes time, was just putting it out there to see other peoples reaction and see how many others are out there like me.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 I.K.Brunel

my last scheduled meter reading was one month after i applied which was now one month ago.
    and i have received a bill from esb, but not a closing bill.
    but received a pm from bg on boards today, just replied so will hopefull have an answer tomorrow.
    and i know it takes time, was just putting it out there to see other peoples reaction and see how many others are out there like me.

about 75,000 or more:eek:!

I can understand BG's problems with their backlog as they could not possibly have forecast that level of applications so soon after kicking off their campaign in February.

However, what is unacceptable is Bord Gais' seemingly clueless Conduit call centre staff telling applicants who have yet to be switched over that it is all ESB's fault! Applicants have been told that the delay is down to ESB creating difficulties and delays.

The ESB has no problem with customers moving to Bord Gais. Padraig McManus, ESB Chief Executive said on the news last evening that losing customers was something that ESB had to facilitate as the sooner ESB's dominance in the domestic market was reduced the quicker it will have it's competitive shackles removed by the Regulator.

Once agtain, the delay in switching customers is of Bord Gais' making and they should be honest and upfront with their prospective customers in that regard.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Also waiting two months .... I applied very early on and like others have just had the initial email :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I applied the day BG's offer went live, service changed over a number of weeks back, next bill due at end of May is going to be BG :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i just got a letter from the esb regarding my connection to the electricity distribution system.

it reads:

dear sir/madam,
    esb networks, as a seperate business within tesb froup, builds, owns ans maintains the electricity network throughout ireland. we connect all customers the electricity distribution system regardless of supplier. esb networks welcomes you as a customer and is writing to inform you of some pertinent points regarding your connection

the connection aggrement is for a connection to the electricity distribution system only. you will also need to apply for an electricity supply account if you do not have one already. for more information and a full list of suppliers please visit......

the letter continues...

this has confused me slightly, does it mean that im now a bord gais customer for electricity and the esb is just letting me know about my electricity connection?

thanks

i just got a letter from the esb regarding my connection to the electricity distribution system.

this has confused me slightly, does it mean that im now a bord gais customer for electricity and the esb is just letting me know about my electricity connection?

thanks

Basically, yes. Anytime there is a change in a customer's connection - including a change of supplier - ESB Networks are required to write and inform the customer of his/her connection details.

It seems very odd that they should be welcoming you as a customer seeing as you were a customer of their's already anyhow so I think the wording leaves a lot to be desired.

You can ignore the letter.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

ESB Networks sent you the letter. They provide the wires and meter to your house. You buy your electricity from an electricity supplier (ESB Customer Supply, Bord Gais Energy, Airtricity) and should have signed up to one of those suppliers. ESB Networks were simply welcoming you as a customer ( as all electricity users are, irrespective of who they buy their electricity from) and to inform you that you need to, if you have not done so already, sign up for a supplier. ESB Networks don't know if you have contacted a supplier. ESB Networks will be your port of call if you have a power outage, meter readings, etc but your supply company will bill you for your electricity usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 eoinmadden

My understanding is that the Commission for Energy Regulation ensure that the ESB must sell power at a higher price than its competitors, until competition is deemed to be fully established in Ireland. Therefore, Eirtricity and Bord Gais customers can look forward to cheaper prices than ESB customers for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

"My understanding is that the Commission for Energy Regulation ensure that the ESB must sell power at a higher price than its competitors, until competition is deemed to be fully established in Ireland. Therefore, Eirtricity and Bord Gais customers can look forward to cheaper prices than ESB customers for the next few years"

I agree with your comments EXCEPT the Head Guy in ESB McManus I think his name is made a comment on the news the other day, the day ESB announced all those jobs, something along the lines that he hoped that that CER would very soon agree on the number of customer who should be allowed leave before ESB would be allowed compete. Call me suspicious but given what the ESB pledged this government in terms of Jobs and the Green agenda, I think they will be allowed compete sooner than most people believe

• Advertisement

discostu1 wrote: »
    I agree with your comments EXCEPT the Head Guy in ESB McManus I think his name is made a comment on the news the other day, the day ESB announced all those jobs, something along the lines that he hoped that that CER would very soon agree on the number of customer who should be allowed leave before ESB would be allowed compete. Call me suspicious but given what the ESB pledged this government in terms of Jobs and the Green agenda, I think they will be allowed compete sooner than most people believe

I think you're right but not necessarily because of the proposed jobs and the green agenda. Competition has taken off in the domestic sector and ESB should now have the regulatory shackles lifted and be allowed to fully compete.

Why should large numbers of ESB customers have to pay higher prices than those with Bord Gais and Airtricity? I refer here to those customers who do not have the option of switching either because they are unbanked (and thus unable to pay by direct debit) and/or cannot afford to pay the security deposits required by those companies. These are the customers who could most benefit by lower prices but they are effectively excluded from availing of them.

Let Bord Gais and Airtricity compete with the ESB on a level playing field. They are both big boys (Airtricity is owned by the powerful UK company Scottish and Southern) and should not need to be protected from the ESB. Real competition would benefit all customers and not just those with the wherewithal to switch.

Regards,

Fnergg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement