Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Energy Suppliers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

first bill from BG for elec down 48% but dont for get that includes summer savings rates

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

is_that_so wrote: »
    TBH I reckon that letter has gone out to every Bord Gais customer in the country. As for over-estimating a reading you can call readings in yourself if you are unhappy with totals. No comments on the question as I have yet to receive my first bill.

That is for gas meter readings.

I'd be very interested to learn how BG deal with estimated electricity meter readings.

You should be able to phone and request an amended bill based on your own reading - a service provided by ESB and Airtricity.

Somebody might please let us know how BG react. There was some suggestion that they will not issue amended bills. Surely that cannot be true?

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

yeah for some reason i thought there was one bill.

my bad.

still pissed about my data being left in the hands of the wrong people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Delighted with the switch. Cheaper lecky now and should be a big saving when winter comes. The bill was clear and easy to follow.
    Not happy with the details being stolen but that kind of stupidity can happen with any of these organisations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

first bill from BG for elec down 48% but dont for get that includes summer savings rates

In fairness the saving compared to ESB is a max of 14% so the 48% is irrelevant as you would have had a 40% saving based on useage anyway with ESB. (I know 14% 48% and 40% don't seem to work out but do the maths :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

daheff wrote: »
    i chose airtiricty..13% cheaper than BG...means that my electricity is apparently greener than BG or ESB

Can we get verification on this? not many people seem to know about this price difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Gonzales wrote: »
    Can we get verification on this? not many people seem to know about this price difference.

It's 13% cheaper than ESB, not Bord Gais.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

have been waiting over 2 months to no avail yes, mother is also the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Trinny_Wicklow

According to the NCA:

Bord Gáis says its prices will be 10% lower than the ESB's over the next year. Its electricity prices are a further 2% lower if you are already a gas customer. You also get a 2% discount if you pay by direct debit.

Each of these savings is cumulative, so you can achieve up to a 14% discount on the current ESB tariffs by switching now. But note that these savings are available for the first year only. After that, Bord Gais is guaranteeing discounts of at least 5% against the standard ESB domestic tariff.

Airtricity is also offering a range of discounts. Its maximum is the 13% discount when you opt for its Budget Plan and eBilling (getting your bill online instead of on paper).

These rates are valid until 31 January 2010. There is no current information available from Airtricity about what will happen with its pricing after that. But as there is no minimum contract term, consumers can switch provider with a minimum of difficulty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

done a bit of enquiring about Airtricity's green electricity. it turns out that if the wind isnt blowing enough they have to use the same fuels as ESb to make electricity so its not 95% green, they also supply from the grid which means the electricity you get into your house is the same as everyone else, made the switch to bord gais at least its a bit of security knowing that they are irish and are state owned

have to say making the change was a hell of a lot easier than i thought and got my business changed over aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

bungler wrote: »
    done a bit of enquiring about Airtricity's green electricity. it turns out that if the wind isnt blowing enough they have to use the same fuels as ESb to make electricity so its not 95% green, they also supply from the grid which means the electricity you get into your house is the same as everyone else

Yes, everyone feeds into the same grid regardless how they generate it. If you buy from airtricity your not getting green electricity, your helping to support it.

yea i understand that i just feel the way airtricity go on about it is that they use nothing but air. they practially harassed me in my business to sign over to them saying that all other companies are dangerous and dirty, which is fine but in times like this i would rather support an irish company rather than supporting an english company, i mean no predudice by that i just feel Bord Gais are a better choice for our economy

just out of interest why do people pick ESB in the poll, why stay with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

they practially harassed me in my business to sign over to them saying that all other companies are dangerous and dirty

Well wind generation only supply's about 10% of the countries needs, not all of which is owned by airtricity. If the other companies weren't there the country wouldn't run. A lot of the older less efficient "dirty" generators have been changed for more efficient combined cycle gas turbines.

yea its good to hear that the old power plants were converted and Bord Gáis are halfway through building a power plant which is gas powered too.

anyway its nice to see the bills coming in a lot lower

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Anyone see the piece in the Business post yesterday, saying ESB is pushing to reduce the business rate in the national interest but that the domestic rate would have to be rebalanced. Mullins of BGE is on record as saying the domestic rate must increase but I presume will stay below ESB. What about the ESB vrs BGE vrs Airtricity BUsiness rates and any thoughts on how much ESB could cut off the price. My company are actually changing their gas supplier to Energia so lots of changes

The business market has been going a while i started off with Airtricity put they jacked up their prices without telling any customers. I then moved to Energia but they were even worse, they had different rates on every bill and never gave me what they promised. I have a couple of places so im always looking to save but both of these 2 companies never hounored there deal. i went with bord gais about a year and a half ago and everything has been perfect.

i later found out that airtricity and energia salesmen are paid only on commission and do not directly work for either company so a commission based rep will say anything to you for your signature and bord gais are on a proper salary and dont get commission so they seem to have more time for you and give you proper answers.

i strongly advise you to look at bord gais because they offer the security of a price when the CER makes a rate change and there irish too, hope this helps

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

discostu1 wrote: »
    Anyone see the piece in the Business post yesterday, saying ESB is pushing to reduce the business rate in the national interest but that the domestic rate would have to be rebalanced. Mullins of BGE is on record as saying the domestic rate must increase but I presume will stay below ESB. What about the ESB vrs BGE vrs Airtricity BUsiness rates and any thoughts on how much ESB could cut off the price. My company are actually changing their gas supplier to Energia so lots of changes

They only guarantee to be 3-4% below ESB in year 2 and subsequent years.......

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just got my second Bord Gais electricity bill today, so far so good nice low bill of 104e nice to see a shaving over ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Cabaal wrote: »
    Just got my second Bord Gais electricity bill today, so far so good nice low bill of 104e nice to see a shaving over ESB.

Got my gas and electricity bills yesterday - total of about €120 euro, think about €70 form electricity.

Seemed ridiculously cheap, but it just occurred to me: while the electricity period shows it's for the last 2 months, I'm not sure that period was all with BG - I may have another bill coming from ESB over part of that period.

Mind you, I was paying about 300 between the two previously, looks like getting the boiler upgraded (and summer) is paying off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 I.K.Brunel

discostu1 wrote: »

At present BGE is making 'super profits' on electricity sales as the spot wholesale prices are way below the contracted prices that ESB are locked into paying. This advantage falls away on 1st Oct when the new trading year commences as all suppliers will face new/similar wholesale prices. Obviously BGE would want the ESB Domestic rate to be as high as possible from 1st Oct 2009 to cushion BGE from the imapct of changes in their wholesale costs.

ESB cannot just cut anything off the business rates - all their prices are subject to Regulartory processes and apporval & the regulator will want to ensure that ESB doesn't propose any prices that impact on the independent competitors. The regulator has a reasonably simplistic view that as long as ESB is losing customers to the independents competition is working & is good for the customers. Therefore the regulator tries to ensure that ESB sets rates that provide a benchmark for the independents to measure themselves against, rather than attempt to ensure ESB rates are as competitive as possible.

smccarrick wrote: »
    They only guarantee to be 3-4% below ESB in year 2 and subsequent years.......

the offer a MINIMUM of 3-4%. i got that in business that it would be a minimum of 5% but i am still getting 10%, i asked why did they say 5% and they said after the first year they re-view all prices and if they can they'll give more than the minimum.

Im with Bord Gáis 3 years for my companies and still getting the best offer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

MOH wrote: »
    Mind you, I was paying about 300 between the two previously, looks like getting the boiler upgraded (and summer) is paying off.

dont forget to get a grant for the upgrade
    www.sei.ie for details.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I moved over to BG when the big switch was being marketed to beat the band, then coming on here I realised Airtricity were also in the market. So I just got my first BG leccy bill, went straight onto Airtricity website and have moved across. Got my final bill from Bord Gais already. Airtricity took 3 weeks from start to finish to move me over, it took BG 6 weeks.

I'd rather give airtricity the business to be honest, I hope they make a good fist of it, its nice to see them doing well :)

Sizzler wrote: »
    I moved over to BG when the big switch was being marketed to beat the band, then coming on here I realised Airtricity were also in the market. So I just got my first BG leccy bill, went straight onto Airtricity website and have moved across. Got my final bill from Bord Gais already. Airtricity took 3 weeks from start to finish to move me over, it took BG 6 weeks.

I'd rather give airtricity the business to be honest, I hope they make a good fist of it, its nice to see them doing well :)

i still feel mush better with BG cause of the fact they are irish whereas airtricity are english, i thought that it was ESB who done the actual change over rather than BG?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

i still feel mush better with BG cause of the fact they are irish whereas airtricity are english

Me too. Who do those dirty saxons think they are, coming over here with their cheap, green electricity, under-cutting our beloved ESB.

EDIT: ..and by the way, Airtricity are Irish - formally known as Eirtricity. Their HQ is in Dublin.

benifa wrote: »
    Me too. Who do those dirty saxons think they are, coming over here with their cheap, green electricity, under-cutting our beloved ESB.

oooo i can smell the sarcasim. I dont mean we should all stay with ESB i am speaking from experience that airtricity are a bitch to deal with and screwed me for 1000's over my time with them

oooo i can smell the sarcasim. I dont mean we should all stay with ESB i am speaking from experience that airtricity are a bitch to deal with and screwed me for 1000's over my time with them

Right, that's 'cause (you think) they're English, is it? Irish companies and Irish call centre staff are much nicer to deal with, are they? :rolleyes:

Airtricity are an Irish company, if it matters that much to you mate. I've spoken to a number of their agents over the past few days as I've just moved house and want to continue to be supplied by Airtricity at my new address. Each and every agent has been a pleasure to deal with. (Oh, and you'll be pleased to know - they all had Irish accents).

benifa wrote: »
    Right, that's 'cause (you think) they're English, is it? Irish companies and Irish call centre staff are much nicer to deal with, are they? :rolleyes:

Airtricity are an Irish company, if it matters that much to you mate. I've spoken to a number of their agents over the past few days as I've just moved house and want to continue to be supplied by Airtricity at my new address. Each and every agent has been a pleasure to deal with. (Oh, and you'll be pleased to know - they all had Irish accents).

who owns Airtricity?

i was with them for over a year and had 12 meters with them. in august last year the CER put ESB prices up by 15%, Airtricity realised that they couldnt sell at that price and put my day rate up over 2.5% and put my night rate up 25% MORE than ESB. they didnt once notify me of this they just did it. Considering i use a massive amount of night units i pay thousands more than ESB, now if im running a business why would i want a company like that?

at least ESB and Bord Gáis tell their customers of changes and at least BG track ESB prices. so for this reason is Airtricity still a better choice. and it will be interesting to see what happens at the next price change

• Advertisement

Well that sounds like a pretty bad experience all right, I'd certainly be pi$sed off if something like that happened to me.

You shouldn't come on making anti-English slurs though man, not cool. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement