Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Energy Suppliers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

els27 wrote: »
    Rang them explained that my average esb bill was bout 60 euro so they changed that monthly amount to 25 euro which is grand.

How is that grand? If your average monthly bill is €60 then you want your monthly amount to be €60, no? Having your monthly amount set to €25 is going to result in a huge final bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 els27

Hi Kotek,
    Sorry, I didn't made that clear. I meant ESB bill for 2 month period was about 60 euro, so that means about 30 euro per month. That was the highest ESB bill I ever had, it's usually even less than that. Hope it makes sense now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fordefitz

I'm hoping somone can advise. I've finaly got around to making the switch but I can't find any savings on the websites. Bord Gais don't give a unit rate, just their expected overall savings. Airtricity's unit charges have the ESB rate incorrect which makes their rate look good but when I checked my most recent ESB bill I've found their unit rate is 01410. this means I'd be making the switch for a saving of 0.017 per unit? I like the idea of using (mainly) renewable energy but was also put of by the fact that they are advertising on their site to donate towards the LauraLynn House charity but if you read the small print below this it says that the donation is only valid until Feb the 5th, so there's no donation now!

any advice? have I got my facts wrong?

Check if VAT is included or not when the rate looks lower.

Check if VAT is included or not when the rate looks lower.

Aaaahhh, now it makes sense. thanks. I should've known better. am still concerned by the 'average' method of billing. might seem good at the moment but they've got to collect in the end!

anyone know what the current unit price is from BGE? it's not on the website

• Advertisement

fordefitz wrote: »
    anyone know what the current unit price is from BGE? it's not on the website

https://www.thebigswitch.ie/how-much-can-i-save.htm

Click "Switch to detailed tariff view" (on the right).

https://www.thebigswitch.ie/how-much-can-i-save.htm

Click "Switch to detailed tariff view" (on the right).

Doh! thanks

wingnut wrote: »
    Anyone with airtricity find their billing odd. I gather they average it out over the year etc, I have supplied one reading since we moved to the new house. They are taking €76 a month which is very steep, but online it states we are €176 in credit. It seems an odd way of doing things.

on the BGE website it states in FAQ
    'Who will read my electricity meter?

Your electricity meter will still be read by ESB Networks. They take readings of all the electricity meters in the country for all suppliers.'

if that is so then why the need for 'average billing'

if that is so then why the need for 'average billing'

Does Bord Gáis do average billing? I thought that was just Airtricity myself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Does Bord Gáis do average billing? I thought that was just Airtricity myself.

It is Airtricity.
    They reckon by averaging billing- customers are less likely to fall into arrears (electricity usage spikes horrendously here during the winter months).

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    It is Airtricity.
    They reckon by averaging billing- customers are less likely to fall into arrears (electricity usage spikes horrendously here during the winter months).

but from what I've read here they seem to be under estimating the average resulting in people being lulled into a false sense of comfort by unrealistic low bills. the balance of which will have to be paid at some stage. I bought my home 2 years ago. the house had been largly unused and no readings had been taken. the previous owners faced a bill of over €5,000 when the meter was finally read.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

but from what I've read here they seem to be under estimating the average resulting in people being lulled into a false sense of comfort by unrealistic low bills. the balance of which will have to be paid at some stage. I bought my home 2 years ago. the house had been largly unused and no readings had been taken. the previous owners faced a bill of over €5,000 when the meter was finally read.

Fecking hell- thats unreal......
    I guess it pays to do a meter reading yourself and send them in.......
    5 grand in one go? I'd almost emigrate!

I know! guess it's best to face the pain! just try to make it a little less painful.

looks like I'll give BGE a try. at least they have some sort of garauntee re next two years.

motto - if it looks to good to be true, sounds to good to be true then it probably is too good to be true!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

What is clear from the above is the need to keep a close eye on the meter readings on your bill.

ESB Networks are charged with reading meters for all suppliers and they try to call to all premises 4 times a year. That means that 2 billing periods will be based on estimated readings. The latter are not an issue provided that actual readings are obtained for the other 4 periods.

That is not always possible due mainly to access difficulties. In such cases the onus is very much on the customer to contact his/her supplier with actual readings on a periodic basis. Otherwise, there is the danger of being significantly undercharged for your usage culminating in a huge bill when a reading is eventually recorded.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

how do they accurately estimate readings for new houses with no history? or houses that have been lying empty for a year or two? estimated readings do not work and esb networks should be doing what they get paid for and read all meters every two months!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    how do they accurately estimate readings for new houses with no history? or houses that have been lying empty for a year or two? estimated readings do not work and esb networks should be doing what they get paid for and read all meters every two months!

ESB Networks are not paid to read meters every two months. If they were to do so, the approval of the CER would be required and the additional costs would have to be passed on to the customers.

I agree that it would be a better system and the move from six reads a year to four several years ago was, in retrospect, a mistake. Whatever reading costs were saved were more than offset by an increase in queries from customers getting estimated bills.

There is no appetite for a reversal of the policy however and the view now seems to be that the advent of smart metering in a few years time will eliminate estimated readings - and meter readers - anyhow.

In the meantime, check the reading on your bill and contact your supplier if the estimate is out of line.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To be honest is it that hard to submit the meter reading yourself...after all its in your interest :)

I made some calculators in Excel, for estimating how much my next bills are likely to be.

I use Flogas for my gas, so the Flogas one is based on their standard tariff. I use Airtricity for my leccy, so that calc is correct for their Airtricity Budget Plan with eBill, General Urban tariff. If you use something different, you can amend the standing charge / unit rate as necessary.

Should be easy enough to use, just enter the date on your last bill, meter reading on last bill, current meter reading and next bill due date. The rest will be worked out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

what is standing charge from Boar Gais? (how moch for day) and how often is bill (every month or every two like in ESB) ?
    Can yoo back alter to ESB without any problems and extra costs (after one month etc) I only renting the apartment so in few month can change for other

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

I won't touch Bord Gais with a fourty foot pole. I had some serious issues with them overchardging me and I had to contact the energy board to get my money reimbursed back to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Hi All,
    Some interesting reading on this thread. I wonder if someone can clarify this for me: -
    I'm currently with Bord Gais for Gas and Elec. The initial 12 months for Elec with Bord Gais is now up, so I've gone on to the 5% discount. (I have the Direct Debit discounts too)

It seems to be the case that the best option for me now is to go with Flogas for Gas and Airtricity for Elec.

Can someone confirm if I'm right??

I also notice that Airtricity looks like they will be providing Gas soon. Is this worth holding out for?

Cheers,

DC.

dcGT wrote: »
    It seems to be the case that the best option for me now is to go with Flogas for Gas and Airtricity for Elec.

Can someone confirm if I'm right??
    You are right.
    dcGT wrote: »
    I also notice that Airtricity looks like they will be providing Gas soon. Is this worth holding out for?
    I would go with Flogas for now and move to Airtricity once they start doing gas. It'll be gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Thanks Kotek,
    I assume Airtricity will have some kind of discount for obtaining Gas and Elec from them when they start selling gas. Will be interesting.

Also, I assume I lose the 2% discount on my Bord Gais Elec when I no longer have Gas with Bord Gais??
    Elec:
    old: 5% + DD discount + Gas account = 9%
    new: 5& + DD discount = 7%

Am I right?

Cheers,

DC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Just to let people know..like most, I made a BIG switch this time last year, so my year of 14% savings is now up so it goes down to 5% ( its actually 7% cos im also a boards gas user), so I rang them up just to say that I would be moving to Airtricty to get the 14% for the next 12 months.

She said there is away around this !! Account is under Mr G Wac & Mrs P Wac, so cos my name is first, I am the account holder. She told me to get Mrs Wac to ring up and change the account into her name as she will then be treated as a new customer ( my name still on account ) so we get the savings of 14% for another year :)

Might help someone out :D

gaz wac wrote: »
    ....She said there is away around this !! Account is under Mr G Wac & Mrs P Wac, so cos my name is first, I am the account holder. She told me to get Mrs Wac to ring up and change the account into her name as she will then be treated as a new customer ( my name still on account ) so we get the savings of 14% for another year :)

Interesting.

The account is in joint names so you are both "jointly and severally liable" to use the legal term. Saying that only you are the account holder doesn't make sense.

Let us know how you get on. I find it amazing that an agent acting on behalf of BGE should be instructing people on a dodgy stratagem designed to retain the 14% discount for a further year.

I'm sure the Commission for Energy Regulation would take a poor view of such advice. Then again, maybe not. They seem to be only concerned at ensuring the ESB are playing by the rules; they don't appear to be too worried about some of the sharp practices - such as this - being perpetrated by the other suppliers.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Fnergg wrote: »
    Interesting.

The account is in joint names so you are both "jointly and severally liable" to use the legal term. Saying that only you are the account holder doesn't make sense.

Let us know how you get on. I find it amazing that an agent acting on behalf of BGE should be instructing people on a dodgy stratagem designed to retain the 14% discount for a further year.

I'm sure the Commission for Energy Regulation would take a poor view of such advice. Then again, maybe not. They seem to be only concerned at ensuring the ESB are playing by the rules; they don't appear to be too worried about some of the sharp practices - such as this - being perpetrated by the other suppliers.

Regards,

Fnergg
    bit of an unfair comment there fnergg? I seriously doubt that the BGE csr was authorised to say that and I would doubt its the "company policy". Perhaps a case of a little knowledge on the agents behalf is more harmful than good in this case

Max Power1 wrote: »
    bit of an unfair comment there fnergg? I seriously doubt that the BGE csr was authorised to say that and I would doubt its the "company policy". Perhaps a case of a little knowledge on the agents behalf is more harmful than good in this case

Perhaps.

But then again, BGE's customer service is done by Fexco in Killorglin and they are a very professional call centre operation. I would be surprised if individual agents are winging it along the lines described. It may well indeed be company policy to retain customers at any cost.

I think the CER should carry out a full audit of the operation.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jfmulroy

em does anyone understand what a competitive market is? i hear airtricity and bord gais are offering a percentage discount for new customers. so if the ESB changes their rate then to honour a percentage discount i imagine the others change their rate. unless percentage means something different from what i learned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If you switch away from BG after the first year and go to Airtricity for the big discounts. Are you a new customer if you switch back to BGE after a year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Bond-007 wrote: »
    If you switch away from BG after the first year and go to Airtricity for the big discounts. Are you a new customer if you switch back to BGE after a year?
    Thats a good question!
    The way it works (with regards to commercial SME busniess anyway) with BGE is once you leave, and you have to be signed back, you are classed as a new account and eligible for the highest discount. I wonder if they are applying the same prinicple to domestic accounts, as its a somewhat different customer base and market

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement