Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Energy Suppliers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

I can't remember which month I changed from ESB to Bord Gais, but it is the next couple of months, anyone know if you are informed beforehand that your years offer is about to expire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No is the answer to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

I can't remember which month I changed from ESB to Bord Gais, but it is the next couple of months, anyone know if you are informed beforehand that your years offer is about to expire?

To (mis)quote a former great "Will they F**k" :D

Saw this in last nights Herald, fair play to BGE by ramping this up I presume some customers who they want to shift will beforced back to ESB who then dont reach the magic 60%
    And for the first time ever

A spokesman for Bord Gais did not provide comment at the time of going to print.:D

BORD Gais are ramping up their debt collection services and are looking to use an outsourced agency to follow up unpaid bills.
    The group, which moved into the electricity market last year, has now outlined that it will employ a third agency to urge payments from customers on the phone but has ruled out door-to-door collection for those who cannot afford to pay.
    The energy provider said that it required "the provision of debt collection services to collect outstanding monies owed across electricity, gas and home energy services products".
    The organisation said that the process is currently carried out by a third party service provider for debts of up to 90 days overdue, while an in-house operation follows up older debts.
    "The scope of activity will cover the recovery of various segments of aged debt and associated administration activities," Bord Gais said.

Enticed
    It is expected that the contract will be for a three-year period with an option to extend the contract by two years.
    The Bord Gais Energy debt collections process is clearly defined and aligned with Bord Gais's social corporate responsibility.
    However, the company said that it was vital that "appropriate customer treatment is applied", which would take into consideration customer history, age and value of debt up to 120 days past due.
    Bord Gais Energy has enticed more than 300,000 customers away from the ESB since it entered the electricity market last year.
    Last week, the Commission for Energy Regulation revealed its plans for deregulating the market.
    The new plan which states that ESB will be allowed to compete when it controls only 60pc of the market share. At the moment it has just over 70pc of the market.
    The company must provide inbound and outbound telephone debt collection operations and certain administrative services for debt up to 120 days past due date across residential customers only.
    "It is currently intended by Bord Gais Energy that the "live call handling" aspect of the service provided within this lot will be delivered from within the island of Ireland," the tender outlined.
    "Legal services will be provided by Bord Gais Energy and all debt will remain in the ownership and control of Bord Gais Energy," the tender added.
    "There will not be a requirement for door-to-door activity as part of the collections process."
    A spokesman for Bord Gais did not provide comment at the time of going to print.
    clairemurphy@herald.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

discostu1 wrote: »
    I was looking at the Airtricity website the other day as I may be moving from BGE and saw this, my bold

https://my.airtricity.com/osu/roido
    Terms and conditions apply. % discount and equivalent free weeks based on comparison to ESB unit rates until 31.12.10.
    Only available to new customers until 31.03.10. Click here for more details

I rang and asked what it meant, and didnt get a clear reply I was told the 31.03.10 is a typo and should read 31.03.11 and it would be changed immediately that was about 4 days ago.
    anyway I had clicked on where it says CLick here and saw this my bold again

% discount and equivalent free weeks based on comparison to regulated ESB unit rates until 31/03/11. Offer only available to new customers switching between 01/04/10 and 30/06/10. Fuel mix comparision carried out annually by CER and is subject to change. Click here for further information.

I asked what would the offer be if I signed up after 30/06/10 but was told they didnt know but that the offer would be "good" are they thinking of lessening the offer my year with BGE will be up shortly wondering what others think
    I had a few Airtricity reps round and wasn't impressed with thier marketing skills one bit and for that reason I won't be switching to them.

First they asked who I was with, I said BGE. Then I was asked to show them my bill :confused:, I refused and asked why they wanted to see my bill, they said they wanted to take my details and show me the savings I could make. I replied that I did not make a decision to switch to them and that they did not need my bill to show me the savings I could make.

Then I got the whole green energy lecture, "it's 100% green", to that I replied yes and no. I was asked what I ment by that remake and I said that the electricity coming into my house was not 100% green, I was told I was wrong and that all my electricity was been generated by the wind. So I then asked, "does Airtricity supply the whole of the countries electricity then ?", the rep said no :rolleyes:, so I asked then how can the supply to me be 100% green if you only input a precentage into the grid, "but it is 100% green to your home he replied".

Then it was back to the savings, you will be saving 15%, said I wasn't swicthing as I had gas with BG also and happy at that. "We're doing gas too !" the rep then says, I said again I was't switching and he then comes back saying what part of 15% saving don't you get, you will save 15% over the next year with us. I then asked what happens after that year, he didn't know and I then said I was happy with BGE and wasn't really bothered about a €100 saving for the year. With that the rep replies "well you must be well off, it's your money, do what you want then !" So I just replied, "yes it's my money and with an attitude like that you won't be getting my money or many customers" :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Got my last bill about a month ago from airtricity. 550 euro? estimated. Must have been estimated by bertie aherne. Called them up and what do you know?. Very sorry about that sir. Our fault. Then i get a bill for 109 instead. Would they have said anything if i hadn't called?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Got my last bill about a month ago from airtricity. 550 euro? estimated. Must have been estimated by bertie aherne. Called them up and what do you know?. Very sorry about that sir. Our fault. Then i get a bill for 109 instead. Would they have said anything if i hadn't called?:confused:

They marked it as estimated - so in short, no, they wouldn't. They would have waited for a true meter reading to be recorded before they made the corrections.

Did you not get a text/email from them to send them a meter reading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 debz171980

Anyone here made the switch to Airtricity? Was there any hassle and are you seeing significant price difference? I've heard its 5% cheaper since the ESB price hike due to oil but I'm waiting for them to mail me a price list to confirm.
    If I was you I would stay with who your with I changed in nov'09 and 3 mnths later I asked esb to open my acc again I was told my bill was 40 euro a month yeah right every bill I received was twice that and now they are taking leagl proceedings against me let them they never replied to any emails or phone calls I made over all of the bills and they are still calling to my address asking me to switch never again, they have no idea what they are doing and there customer service is a joke I still have never received a final bill from them yet they say I have not bothered to pay it, well how can you pay a bill you didn't get

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

debz171980 wrote: »
    If I was you I would stay with who your with I changed in nov'09 and 3 mnths later I asked esb to open my acc again I was told my bill was 40 euro a month yeah right every bill I received was twice that and now they are taking leagl proceedings against me let them they never replied to any emails or phone calls I made over all of the bills and they are still calling to my address asking me to switch never again, they have no idea what they are doing and there customer service is a joke I still have never received a final bill from them yet they say I have not bothered to pay it, well how can you pay a bill you didn't get

Translation:

I know I use about €80 per month in electricity, but I've been paying Airtricity only €40 a month. My account is now closed since I've moved to another provider, but there's an outstanding balance consisting of what I owe for the electricity I used but didn't pay for.

Sorry, but that's your fault. You should have either called Airtricity and asked them to adjust your monthly payment or accept that, on closure of your account, you will have a lump sum to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭dowtcha

Hope this isn't too off thread, I was with BGE getting 12% discount for allowing payment by DD, last bill after a year with BGE, discount dropped to 5%, rang BGE to query, waved possibility of leaving them if there was no movement on the discount, I wondered if I left BGE went back to ESB and returned to BGE would I get 12% discount again for another year, anyhow the upshot is BGE & Lucy seemed not overly worried about losing new business so it was adios from me & I've jumped ship to Airtricity, hope I won't be sorry

I did the same and left BGE after the year was up, well I timed it so I was switched at the right time so I never lost the 12% discount. I went to Airtricity and when that gravy train is over I will go back to BGE. You are a new customer of BGE when you switch back.

Don't you just love competition, Irish style! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭dowtcha

Well TBH, I would say it's nuts, I did mention this to BGE, I could return to the ESB and then return to BGE as a "new" customer to continue on at the 12% discount as newbie

BGE agreed this would be the case, but were equally sure that the discount on my account will now be 5% as a +1 year customer

So which marketing genius came up with clear the nest after a year strategy, I wonder what Lucy would have to say about all this? Is this BGE's version of customer loyalty, I can how see Lucy will continue to be busy with the BGE version of "the Big Switch" aka Lanagan's Ball - you stepped in again & I stepped out...???

It does seem rather pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

It may seem pointless, but this is the case with a lot of companies offering discounts etc. Ultimately, they know that only a few will bother to do this so it still works out better for them overall.

Until such time as they gain sufficient market share, they will continue to offer discounts over ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Lads, I realise this is the Alternative Electricity Suppliers thread, but..

Who's cheapest for gas nowadays - Airtricity, Bord Gáis or Flogas?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Lads, I realise this is the Alternative Electricity Suppliers thread, but..

Who's cheapest for gas nowadays - Airtricity, Bord Gáis or Flogas?

I'd hold off on switching gas for a month or two- Airtricity are about to start retail operations for domestic customers and guarantee to undercut Bord Gais prices by 5%

I guess I'm doing more switching in a few weeks time- as I'm out of contract with Bord Gais Electricity too....!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

smccarrick wrote: »
    I'd hold off on switching gas for a month or two- Airtricity are about to start retail operations for domestic customers and guarantee to undercut Bord Gais prices by 5%

I guess I'm doing more switching in a few weeks time- as I'm out of contract with Bord Gais Electricity too....!

Think Airtricity is already doing Gas

http://www.airtricity.com/roi-domestic-natural-gas/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

thinking about switching electricity provider to them... anybody had any issues with them or are they good? Did you notice the bills go down?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They offer a percentage off ESB rates so yes your bill will be affected just as the adverts say, you still get the same power from ESB Networks you just pay somebody else

Rather then starting another thread why not read http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055561431

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Cabaal wrote: »
    They offer a percentage off ESB rates so yes your bill will be affected just as the adverts say, you still get the same power from ESB Networks you just pay somebody else

Rather then starting another thread why not read http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055561431
    dudara wrote: »
    Threads merged

dudara

Thanks!

(its early:D)

I saw a thread somewhere might have been on askaboutmoney, where a guy claimed that he was told by a BGE agent to get his wife/partner to ring and change the account into their name and they would "re qualify" for the bigger discount someone else then said that a BGE saleman callled to their house they were already with BGE but nearing the end of the first year and said the same to them change the name not the supplier. Sounds mad as I presume the door to door salesman was getting commision on this "sale"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

I saw a thread somewhere might have been on askaboutmoney, where a guy claimed that he was told by a BGE agent to get his wife/partner to ring and change the account into their name and they would "re qualify" for the bigger discount someone else then said that a BGE saleman callled to their house they were already with BGE but nearing the end of the first year and said the same to them change the name not the supplier. Sounds mad as I presume the door to door salesman was getting commision on this "sale"

i read that too.
    my bill just dropped to the 5% discount so im going to put the wife on as the account holder.
    not really in the mood to switch over to airtrisdy, with all the not so good stories.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

that could have been me ? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65327371&postcount=745

still havet got around to switching the names yet !!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kaisersosa

Hi There,

Some things to take into account when looking and making a big switch: I used to work on the Big switch for BGE so I have the inside track.

1. The deal:

Despite what you hear on your door step or in your business deals from all providers are basically the same 10% and if your a residential customer you can gain up to 14% provided you jump through a few hoops (direct debit, gas customer, payment plan etc)

What does this mean to your bill at home or in your business about €35 off you 2 monthly bill.

The deal with all providers last a year with Bord Gais offering an extra 5% year 2 & 3. This is not the case with Businesses where the deal only lasts till Oct 10 with all providers, due to the ESB being allowed to compete withing the comercial market (business, shope etc).

Ok what does this tell you:

*All deals are basicaly the same with the exception of the ESB for now.
    *Shop around at the end of year 1 and get the better deal for another year.

2. The company

BGE a semi state Irish company.
    Airtricity owned by a UK company scotish and southern.
    Energia ownd by a Spanish company.
    ESB a semi state Irish company.

Both Airtricity and Bord Gais produce wind energy in Ireland but most of the power is bought on the open market due to the fact wind energy is difficult to store. (electricity is produced and used on demand, if the wind is not blowing you use electricity produced by fossil fules).

3. The employees

Employees involved in the selling of the products are employed through an agency or a broker, despite the Bord gais employees being told to tell the customer they work directly for BGE, this is not the case.

Targets are set extreamly high for employees of BGE almost twice the industry standard and under performance means termination of your contract. ( this in my oppinion is a totaly unethical from a semi state company abusing its subcontracted employees ) and adding on a weekly basis to the long line of people looking for unemployemnt benifit).

Targets for Airtricity employees are more reasonable and are set so employees can achieve and earn a decent living.

The same goes for Energia.

Who to choose:

The deals are more or less the same for one year so take this into consideration. And look around after one year.

Remember sales people under preasure will tell you what you want to hear and when its their job on the line they can come up with some very interesting offers.

I for one am happy to have found another job because some of my friends still working with BGE are fearing loosing their jobs on a daily basis.

Hi Kaisersosa thanks for posting that.
    A couple of questions. I'm with BGE for my leccy, and on this and other forums there are various reports saying when you come to the end of your 14% reduction get the wife/partner ring up and say I want the account put in my name and your back on the high rate. Is this true have BGE any way of checking and if thats the case assuming they are doing it will it bleed them dry or can they afford to continue to give the large discount to most of their customers.
    How much does a door to door guy get for signing up someone and again if the wife partner signs up does the agent get full commision on a house that is already with BGE.
    Just my own experience I actually found the BGE lads sound I thought Airtricity were completelyl over the top and felt very pressured in fact one of my elderly relatives felt very intimidated but that might just be our small experience

All you need do is switch from BGE to Airtricity for 1 bill and then switch back. You are a new customer again with huge discount.

All you need do is switch from BGE to Airtricity for 1 bill and then switch back. You are a new customer again with huge discount.

Yep I've heard that, but I suppose what I'm trying to figure out is, IF BGE or Airtricity will give an enhanced/prolonged discount by just by changing the name on the bill. Surely there must be an additional cost to them for these changes. When you ring them I presume their outsourced call centers are charging for the call, if a door to door salesman calls to the door and signs up the partner/wife is he gettng a sales fee. Dont get me wrong happy with my BGE account but I have seen so many things that didnt make sense in this country in the last 10 years and was told sure its all fine, onlyl for everything to blow up in the last 18 months. From an accounting business view this does not make sensse. BGE is a semi State but I think will be privatised at some stage. Airtricity is private but all this must cost. Maybe I'm wrong but SMart telecom comes to mind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kaisersosa

Yep I've heard that, but I suppose what I'm trying to figure out is, IF BGE or Airtricity will give an enhanced/prolonged discount by just by changing the name on the bill. Surely there must be an additional cost to them for these changes. When you ring them I presume their outsourced call centers are charging for the call, if a door to door salesman calls to the door and signs up the partner/wife is he gettng a sales fee. Dont get me wrong happy with my BGE account but I have seen so many things that didnt make sense in this country in the last 10 years and was told sure its all fine, onlyl for everything to blow up in the last 18 months. From an accounting business view this does not make sensse. BGE is a semi State but I think will be privatised at some stage. Airtricity is private but all this must cost. Maybe I'm wrong but SMart telecom comes to mind

Hi there,

Im not really sure if this will work or not as it is only comming into play over the past few months. I have left the company a few months back and it was not an issue then.

Have a look at the Airtricity offer which now can include GAS also, do your figures and read the small print (nothing too strange in there apart from having to read your own meter).

After getting your discount rate with Airtricity for a year BGE will welcome you back with open arms with a new fresh discount.

KaiserSosa

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement