Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Energy Suppliers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Meelich

Dahamsta, have you seen this? ESB Customer Supply set it up last week: It might help you come to a conclusion (under Biz/Talk To in case link doesn't work).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1349

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thanks Meelich. It's a bit too focussed on the ESB for me to make a decision, but interesting nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Airtricity reps round again today spouting their nonsense, fourth time now in two months, these guys not take a hint :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

The Airtricity advert is quite annoying...

My house no longer uses electricity supplied by ESB... it uses Airtricity! Sure doesn't electricity sound like airtricity if you really slur it?

Seriously though what does swithcing involve? To either Bord Gais or Airtricity? And, prices aside, would you reccomend it?

Also, while we're on the subject, is there any gas supplier besides Bord Gais? Their prices are a joke!
    airtricty now do gas u can get 23% in total savings on both of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

u can get 23% in total savings on both of them

how do you work that one out
    are you one of their sellers.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 kennyp

Recently I have had alot of door sales guys call to my door from Bord Gais and Airtricity - each one is saying they are cheaper but don' t seem to quote rates, just percentages. Who is actually cheaper????

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It depends on what options you go for, also if you get gas with electric as this can get you further discounts. Nobody knows which may suit you best only you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

As cabaal pointed out, it depends on which package you go for or if you want direct debit, Airtricity offer 13% off if you decide to not get an invoice in the post and only get it online and choose direct debit, or bord gas save you 14% if you have gas and direct debit. See https://www.thebigswitch.ie/savings.htm , http://www.airtricity.com/roi-domestic-natural-gas/ and http://www.airtricity.com/roi-domestic-electricity/ .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

for both electricity and gas, airtricity are your cheapest option. 10% gas discount and 13% electricity discount.

(With BG you have to have gas with them to get the 14% discount on electricity, so you get slight -1%- cheaper electricity at the cost of much - 10%- dearer gas).

If you dont like the option of 1 bill for both utilities, you could take the best of both worlds option, like I did. Airtricity 13% discounted electricity and Flogas 9% discounted gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

Max Power1 wrote: »
    and Flogas 9% discounted gas.

Flogas is now up to 11% Discount.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged

dudara

rameire wrote: »
    Flogas is now up to 11% Discount.
    indeed it is :o, got the literature in the door the other day with the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Flogas wanted to charge a hefty 250e deposit, Bord Gais 200e for gas, 100e for electricity.
    Load of nonsense when you've been a customer on and off for years and years.

Went with Airtricity for both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dganly

Been with Airtricity for a while (about 6 months or so). Very happy with the price for elec. Just about to go with them for gas now too. No problems with the service or customer service since joining.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Flogas wanted to charge a hefty 250e deposit, Bord Gais 200e for gas, 100e for electricity.
    Load of nonsense when you've been a customer on and off for years and years.

Went with Airtricity for both.
    Flogas dont charge a deposit if you are a "homeowner". If you catch my drift.

dganly wrote: »
    Been with Airtricity for a while (about 6 months or so). Very happy with the price for elec. Just about to go with them for gas now too. No problems with the service or customer service since joining.
    A word of warning - when you have airtricity for both gas and electricity, you get one combined bill for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Flogas dont charge a deposit if you are a "homeowner". If you catch my drift.

Got the impression that you wouldn't get away with just claiming it, especially if living in an apartment.
    Maybe I'm incorrect though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

A word of warning - when you have airtricity for both gas and electricity, you get one combined bill for both.
    Dangerous if you were in money trouble as they would cut both off very quickly.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Got the impression that you wouldn't get away with just claiming it, especially if living in an apartment.
    Maybe I'm incorrect though.
    Well, (without putting up too much info in case they read this :p) Thats what my situation is.
    Haddockman wrote: »
    Thats the main reason im not with airtricity for gas aswell as electricity. Miss one direct debit and bam - no power at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dganly

Thanks for the heads up. My other half's been organising it and didn't mention that. Surprised that they don't offer the option of splitting. Must query that with them and see what/if there are alternatives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Trigger007

Can you just switch your Gas to them or do you have to have electricity with them first?

Bord Gais are requesting a 200e deposit because one of our housemates are moving out and the rest of us have never held an account in our name for long enough! Such rubbish! Ususally its better to have direct debit details, instead BG charge for it! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Ehram

You have to have electricity with them first to switch the gas. There's no deposit with Airtricity though- they take direct debit details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I was an airtricity customer at my previous address. Gave them due notice (via the website (to which I received no acknowledgement), then via email (again no response) and then by telephone of our intended move. Then emailed them again with the final meter readings and a forwarding address to send the final bill to.

No final bill received but I kept persisting in trying to log in to the website and noticed a bill there - and it was wrong. Continued on over a week after the date I had provided them and the meter readings I had provided had also been ignored.

I emailed them. Waited over a week for a response and then ended up having to call them again. Finally received an email informing me that the incorrect invoice was cancelled (I verified that online) and I was told that a new one would be sent. No new invoice was sent and I couldn't log in to myairtricity to see if there was one there. Then, with one thing and another it slipped my mind to follow up. That invoice was to have been dated 18th March, and I have an email from Airtricity customer care verifying that.

This morning I get a call from a collection agency, out of the blue, they have my name wrong and tell me that I have failed to pay an Airtricity invoice dated April.

I emailed them this morning, forwarding on all the past email correspondance.

To add to my current irritation with Airtricity the apartment block I live in was terrorised by their sales people for over a week recently. They buzzed our apartment every day for the entire week. One of the days I was home sick and we told their representative in the morning that we were not interested and asked them to stop disturbing us, only to have to repeat ourselves to a particularly persistent (or deaf) agent again that afternoon - it took 3 conversations over the intercom, and about 10 minutes, to get through to him that we had no desire to discuss anything with him, least of all becoming Airtricity Customers.

Probably just as well they've stopped calling round or I'd be sorely tempted to throw things at them from the balcony :P

Airtricity is not worth the hassle. Easy to switch but the billing and customer care are poor.

I registered for ebilling and sometimes would have to keep trying for hours to sign in to view my bill.

When my husband and I moved earlier this year I found their customer care to be completely inept and incompetent. The only response we received to numerous emails and telephone calls during our time as their customers was a reply to an email that was sent 12 days after the original, and even that was only sent because I insisted they emailed me after I had managed to speak to them on the phone.

We kept them fully informed, provided end date, final meter readings, forwarding address etc. and they failed to send us a final bill, the ebill issued was incorrect, they cancelled it and seem to have failed to send us the replacement, we couldn't access any further ebills and now, with no reminders sent to us either, they have passed it on to a collection agency.

Anyway, buyer beware, but I suggest avoiding. I'm very happy to be back with the ESB, who have never, in the 14 years I've been their customer, and through 8 changes of address, messed me around or been slow to respond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Just tried to download my bill and this is the message:
    Sorry, we are not able to process your request.
    Please try again later.
    :mad:

Just tried to download my bill and this is the message:

:mad:

Beware, they'll have the debt collectors after you !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

+1 on crap billing and CS with Airtricity. It's like they took all the bad coders and CS staff from BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I know a guy working there and he says they cant handle their cust service calls,they are losing thousands of calls a day purely because they cant cope with the volumes, worst kept secret in the organisation that their CS is shambolic.

Their email responses are just as bad ! Had email tennis with them over a 3 wk period on a simple pricing question they couldnt answer so just left them and went back to bord gais for the "new" customer discount :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

On Prendeville on 96fm radio Corks Answer to Liveline. Airtricity got a terrible kicking , poor customer service but more worryingly disconnecting customers if they hadnt signed a contract I didnt hear it in full and the site doesnt seem to have a playback section but they were talking about those who were already with Airtricity having to now sign contracts. Anyone else hear this or anything like it. Also heard a case of a person who was disconnected as they hadnt signed dd or paid a deposit, they did pay their bills as they came out but obviously they were not the kind of customer you want if your Airtricity. Lots of complaints about not getting ebills as well. Anyone any experience of any of this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement