Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Energy Suppliers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

http://www.clareherald.com/business-and-finance/consumer/2598-esb-disconnects-elderly-woman-who-never-missed-a-payment.html?lang=

Just to clarify ESB Networks physically disconnected her on the basis of an order from Airtricity. I find this unbelievable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Just to clarify ESB Networks physically disconnected her on the basis of an order from Airtricity. I find this unbelievable
    Not at all. ESB Networks only do what they are told to do by the providers.

This person did not read their service terms and conditions. No direct debit means a deposit is needed. She should never have switched if she was unwilling to give them a deposit.

Most of the "problems" with Airtricity stem from customers not complying with their terms and conditions. Customers are told when to read their meters by email and/or text message. People sign up the budget plan not knowing how it fully works. When they get an adjusted bill they run off crying saying that Airtricity is robbing them.

If people can't be arsed to read these things before agreeing then that is their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Not at all. ESB Networks only do what they are told to do by the providers

Absolutely agree about ESB Networks the spark is given an order and he disconnects for all suppliers, what I find unbelievable is that she was disconnected. From what I heard and its been back on local radio. Nice woman pays all her bills within ten days but her bills I gather are small.What would happen if you bounce a direct debit or two and still pay your account before the next bill.?? Essentially are we seeing a sort of apartheid those who can afford to pay in the format that BGe and Airtricity like get the benefit of reduced tariffs whilst "good payers" who pay via the Post office where this lady paid will be pushed back on to higher electricity tariffs of ESBSuppy and of course if ESB dont lose 40% they wont be de regulated.
    Apparently the famous Airtricity door to door salesmen (much discussed on this section of Boards) were those who signed her up, did they mention if you dont do dd or deposit you'll be disconnected, or like our banking bretheren was it all about the sale and bugger the consequences, which now include disconnection and re connection charges They didnt mention it to me when they called to my door.
    Given that the economy is shrinking, more unemployment and the country is going to hell in a hand cart will Airtricity and possibly BGE effectively be the supplier to the "haves" and is that a good thing for a society.Btw I am a BGE customer, looked at moving to Airtricity but wasnt impressed by my interactions with them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The guy who called to our door- insisted that the ESB and Bord Gais were the regulators for electricity and gas respectively- when I mentioned that there was an independent regulator (in theory anyhow)- he doggedly insisted I was wrong- that its always been this way- and this is why Airtricity are able to sign up customers (not sure what point he was trying to make there?)

In short- Airtricity seem to be sending monkeys around to sign up folk- monkeys who haven't a vague foggy notion of what they're selling, and are untruthful at best.

This door to door selling needs to be looked at urgently

This door to door selling needs to be looked at urgently
    Agreed. Customers should not be able to switch at the door.

There should be a cooling off period where a change of mind can occur without penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Blockbuster

Airtricity agents called to my door a couple of weeks ago and i couldn't understand a word they said (both Asians), i told them i wouldn't sign a direct debit, so they left. they came back the next day and tried again, 2 days later they were back on the road again. Commission must have been bad that week. Anyway, i'm waiting for ESB to be de-regulated. I did the same with Eircom and now my phone bill is less than half of what it was. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 boulas

Haddockman wrote: »
    Agreed. Customers should not be able to switch at the door.

There should be a cooling off period where a change of mind can occur without penalty.

What would you like to cool off from?

THERE IS NO CONTRACT OF ANY KIND WITH AIRTRICITY, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS MINIMUM TERM AND SUCH.

If you are not happy from any reason or "just because", you can change back supplier even day after signing.

What is wrong with switch at door? You can ask as many questions as you wish face to face, i believe it's much better then over the phone or internet.

And finally if you are gonna tell me that ESB has such a great service then you have been very lucky in contacts with them.

boulas wrote: »

THERE IS NO CONTRACT OF ANY KIND WITH AIRTRICITY, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS MINIMUM TERM AND SUCH.

If you are not happy from any reason or "just because", you can change back supplier even day after signing.

What is wrong with switch at door? You can ask as many questions as you wish face to face, i believe it's much better then over the phone or internet.

And finally if you are gonna tell me that ESB has such a great service then you have been very lucky in contacts with them.
    An Airtricity salesman writes. :rolleyes:

discostu1 wrote: »
    On Prendeville on 96fm radio Corks Answer to Liveline. Airtricity got a terrible kicking , poor customer service but more worryingly disconnecting customers if they hadnt signed a contract I didnt hear it in full and the site doesnt seem to have a playback section but they were talking about those who were already with Airtricity having to now sign contracts. Anyone else hear this or anything like it. Also heard a case of a person who was disconnected as they hadnt signed dd or paid a deposit, they did pay their bills as they came out but obviously they were not the kind of customer you want if your Airtricity. Lots of complaints about not getting ebills as well. Anyone any experience of any of this

There is no such thing as contract with Airtricity, for both new and existing customers. When you are switching and signing Agreement Form you can choose 2 options:
    - Paying by Direct Debit (12% saving on units)
    - Paying by Post (5% saving + 300 Euro deposit required)

Also additional 1% saving if choose to receive eBill instead of paper one.

On the back of each Customer Agreement Form there are detailed T&C it is each person fault, if he is not making sure that he understands everything.

eBill means that you are is no physical bill (e=electronic), all you get is the reminder (not containing any personal data) on your email address that your bill is available online. To check that bill you have to go to https://my.airtricity.com/ews/welcome.jsp?nt=roidom and login to your account. In there you can access all your bills since you have switched. Also you can access there many other useful options, and submit your meter reading if you wish.

The CER has mandated that a person can only switch suppliers once you have been with them for a minimum of 1 month. So to say there is no minimum term is wrong.
    Because it is a high pressure sale. At least on the internet you have time to consider all your options and to decide in your own time. Not an option if you have a pushy salesman at the door. I do however disagree with the door to door sale of utilities.
    Where did I say I was an ESB customer. For the record I am with Airtrcity. I signed up online with no ones help. I get good service from them. I follow their terms and conditions. I would have no time for the incumbent supplier at all.

• Advertisement

An Airtricity salesman writes. :rolleyes:

Indeed I'm one of this "monkeys" as smccarrick was happy to call me.
    Important thing is that whatever I'm writing here I'm not taking it from air. You can check all that at www.airtricity.com YOU DON'T HAVE TO TAKE MY WORD FOR IT.

Most important part of switch for me (I switched myself over a year ago way before I've started selling for Airtricity.) is source of energy that you are getting. About 70% of electricity is supplied from wind farms. . And that's what everyone should take into consideration, as long as, they care about them children's future.
    With coal and oil running out, and polluting environment it is great alternative to use one of the sources that will never run out, and does not cause almost any pollution (just the one from manufacturing of mills).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

To check that bill you have to go to https://my.airtricity.com/ews/welcome.jsp?nt=roidom and login to your account. In there you can access all your bills since you have switched. Also you can access there many other useful options, and submit your meter reading if you wish.

Which is fine, when it is working, which, in my experience wasn't often. I also submitted meter readings (which were totally ignored), requests for information (likewise ignored), customer service requests (to which I received no response), you get the idea...

Update on my situation: Airtricity finally responded to my email (a week and two reminders later) and admitted that they sent my corrected final bill to the wrong address (our former residence) even though they had been provided, on no less than 4 occasions, with the current one and had agreed (in writing) to send it to that address. They have also admitted that they posted it online, even though I no longer had access to the online tools as a former (and not current) customer. So, basically, although they had a valid address, phone number and email address for me, they decided to make it impossible for me to end my dealings with them.

They finally posted a copy of the correct invoice to me a few days ago, so hoping that by mid next week at the latest I will never, ever, have to try to deal with them again.

Because it is a high pressure sale. At least on the internet you have time to consider all your options and to decide in your own time. Not an option if you have a pushy salesman at the door. I do however disagree with the door to door sale of utilities.

Unfortunately in rural areas many people dose's not even have internet access , not even mention that they would be able to sign up on-line. (especially elderly people).
    And if someone feels like he is being "pushed to buy", he can just say to salesman that he needs some time to think about it (or just tell that he is not authorized to make decision himself/herself). You can ask then to call you back in day or two, so you can check all details.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

boulas If you are an Airtricity employee, then you should declare your interest when replying to any topic of this kind. It ensures that everyone is aware.

dudara

dudara wrote: »
    boulas If you are an Airtricity employee, then you should declare your interest when replying to any topic of this kind. It ensures that everyone is aware.

dudara

I thought I've made it very clear in my previous posts.
    If not I'm sorry. And to be exact I'm not employed by Airtricity.

You are hardly impartial then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I thought I've made it very clear in my previous posts.
    If not I'm sorry. And to be exact I'm not employed by Airtricity.

Just curious,
    Ok so your likely employed by one of those door to door company's or something.

Have you told your direct employer AND Airtricity that you are posting on boards pimping their business?

My guess is you haven't and when they do find out about you they won't be happy and rightly so.

There seems to be a lot of these salespersons for Airtricity pimping away on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Allie G

I moved to Airtricity for electricity and gas. My electricity bill is a quater of wat it was!! i love airtricity! it's cheap and good for the envoirnment!! if irish ppl don't wanna save money don't switch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Allie G wrote: »
    I moved to Airtricity for electricity and gas. My electricity bill is a quater of wat it was!! i love airtricity! it's cheap and good for the envoirnment!! if irish ppl don't wanna save money don't switch!!

well your bill couldn't be 75% cheaper, get a grip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Allie G

well da esb wer estimating my bills n now i actually hav da control to submit my own readings!!! so get a fukin grip yourself!! plus airtricity are obviously more loyal to their customers dan another energy provider!! At least aall their customers are getting the same reduction!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

well da esb wer estimating my bills n now i actually hav da control to submit my own readings!!! so get a fukin grip yourself!! plus airtricity are obviously more loyal to their customers dan another energy provider!! At least aall their customers are getting the same reduction!!

Wow, you are right they are absolutely brilliant you have changed my mind with you insightfulness. Because you couldn't be bothered submitting a reading to ESB you think Airtricity are saving you 75%. Now thats what I call a logical assumption.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Airtricity more loyal to their customers than other energy providors? I seem to recall that the OAP disconnected in Cork last week- who didn't owe a red cent on her bills, was an Airtricity customer?

Anyone, a customer of any electricity supplier- can submit a meter reading to correct an estimation- its entirely your perogative whether you do so or not.

So what that all customers get the same reduction- most companies offer additional discounts to folk who pay their bills by direct debit- they don't go cutting off people who don't wish to pay in this manner (irrespective of whether they owe money or not).

With regard your electricity from Airtricity being greener than that of your neighbour- thats horse manure- the exact same electricity is being delivered to both homes- Airtricity may be feeding renewable energy into the national grid- but so too are other providors- and feeding it into the national grid is not the same as it being delivered to you personally, because it most certainly isn't.

In addition to all of this- all customers, irrespective of who their supplier is, will be hit with a 'green energy levy' of approximately EUR35 a year- so even the most foul inefficient users of power- will be subsidising the environment. This is in addition to the Public service obligation levy- which everyone also pays- which goes towards keeping inefficient energy production online......

You're not as green as you think you are........

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

I could scarcely believe my eyes when I read this today:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ryan-advises-customers-to-save-money-by-leaving-esb-2321354.html

If ever there was evidence that Eamon Ryan is hopelessly out of touch with ordinary people this is it.

He must know as Energy Minister that thousands of unbanked customers with ESB do not have the option of switching as they (a) do not have a bank account and thus cannot pay by direct debit and (b) they will therefore be charged a €300 deposit by Bord Gais and Airtricity.

These are the very people who would benfit the most from a price reduction but they cannot avail of it because of the Government's/Regulator's policy in relation to competition in the electricity market.

That policy is essentially: force the ESB to keep its prices higher than its competitors so that customers will switch to BG/Airtricity. The customers who are switching are those who can avail of the direct debit requirement or can pay the €300 deposit. Those who can't have to stick with the ESB and pay the higher prices.

An elderly unbanked woman in Mallow was disconnected by Airtricity a couple of weeks ago because she did not pay the deposit (even though her bill was paid up to date). She had switched to Airtricity on foot of a visit by one of that company's door to door salespeople who evidently promised her the sun, moon and stars but conveniently neglected to point out that unless she had a bank account she'd be liable for a €300 deposit. She has since returned to the ESB suitably chastened by her experience of switching. I'm sure she'd love to tell Eamon Ryan of her experience.

Ryan could simply instruct the Regulator to lift the price regulation on the ESB now and this would hopefully free the way for the ESB to reduce its prices for all its customers.

Meanwhile, we have a Green Minister for Energy and a Regulator who evidently do not care a fig for the huge unbanked section of society who are struggling to pay their ESB bills and who cannot switch because of the €300 deposit requirement.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭JDxtra

People still don't have bank accounts and direct debit facilities...???

Fair enough I agree Eamon is a twat and the Airtricity sales people can bend the truth.

But ESB prices have to remain relatively high to encourage customers to be move. Otherwise, there would be no incentive.

I don't see the problem here - these new energy companies may have no previous relationship with the customer and the customer refuses (for what ever reason) to use direct debit. I imagine they get stung a lot by people not paying (e.g. renters), so a deposit seems fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Fnergg wrote: »
    Ryan could simply instruct the Regulator to lift the price regulation on the ESB now and this would hopefully free the way for the ESB to reduce its prices for all its customers.

Lifting the controlled price on the ESB would leave them free to increase their prices too. You have no idea if it would actually make them reduce their prices at all. That is pure speculation.

What's the big deal with getting a bank account anyway? If people don't want a bank account then they can't avail of the discounts that go with direct debit payments. That's the reason you get the discount.

JDxtra wrote: »
    People still don't have bank accounts and direct debit facilities...???

Fair enough I agree Eamon is a twat and the Airtricity sales people can bend the truth.

But ESB prices have to remain relatively high to encourage customers to be move. Otherwise, there would be no incentive.

I don't see the problem here - these new energy companies may have no previous relationship with the customer and the customer refuses (for what ever reason) to use direct debit. I imagine they get stung a lot by people not paying (e.g. renters), so a deposit seems fair.

Ireland has one of the highest unbanked populations in the developed world. Direct Debit is not an option for thousands of customers.

Bord Gais and Airtricity are hardly new energy companies. Bord Gais is a long established semi-state while Airticity are owned by the powerful Uk company Scottish and Southern.

Competition has been well bedded in to the market at this stage with something like 600,000 customers having moved from ESB.

It is high time therefore to allow ESB to compete on a level playing field with BG and Airticity and let customer service and customer offerings be the differentiator between the companies.That is how real competition works.

Regards,

Fnergg

jor el wrote: »
    Lifting the controlled price on the ESB would leave them free to increase their prices too. You have no idea if it would actually make them reduce their prices at all. That is pure speculation.

What's the big deal with getting a bank account anyway? If people don't want a bank account then they can't avail of the discounts that go with direct debit payments. That's the reason you get the discount.

It wouldn't make any sense for ESB who have been clamouring for de-regulation in the interests of winning back customers to increase prices post-deregulation.

What's the big deal with getting a bank account? There are still thousands of people for whom it clearly is a big deal, who for whatever reason regards themselves as alienated from the banking system.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It is high time therefore to allow ESB to compete on a level playing field with BG and Airticity and let customer service and customer offerings be the differentiator between the companies.That is how real competition works.

This will happen, but the regulator will only it when the percentage of customers with ESB reaches a certain level (I think it's <60%, possibly lower).

Ireland has one of the highest unbanked populations in the developed world. Direct Debit is not an option for thousands of customers.
    Why on earth do people not have bank accounts? Direct debit is so convenient and it works perfect, well - most of the time! :)

I know my parents COULD set up direct debits as they have bank accounts, but simply REFUSE to. They prefer to trek down to the post office, have a chat with the postie and hand them a lump of cash. Most people (like me!) don't have time for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Maybe at the next election, the good citizens of Dublin South might make the Big Switch from Eamon Ryan to anyone else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement