Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation "Felix"

• 11-05-2009 10:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

As the gateway to the Mediterranean and the significance of a naval base serving the Atlantic also,why was Gibraltor not pursued sooner by the Axis powers,when the North African campaign had already been planned,I know the invasion of Russia interupted Operation Felix finally to the point where it was abandoned later on but what were the major factors before this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

I think i can remember reading somewhere about tension between General Franco and the Axis over Gibraltar, and Francos refusal to assist by allowing Axis forces attack Gibraltar from the Spanish Mainland, or something like that.

I'll have a dig around and see what turns up regarding this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Cheers for that,it seems strange that such a key position wasn't attacked more up till the Axis defeat of North Africa,I know that the Vichy French attacked twice with bombers with limited success and the Italians attacked with there airforce,of course the Italians did have success with commando raids on the shipping.Also as far as I'm aware Germany had planned to bomb Gibraltor from France and then land in Spain,I guess Spains neutrality and Franco's stance may of put heed to these plans,one part of WW2 I never really looked at and would be interesting to know more.I must have a look into this.

Advertisement