Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headphone socket on top of case

Options
  • 11-05-2009 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a new case, I like the look of the Antec 1200 and Coolermaster Cosmos because of the positioning of the power buttons etc on the top.

I am not sure if this is a stupid question or not, but it occurred to me that perhaps the headphone socket on these cases is for the onboard sound rather than the sound card?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Same as all cases - frontpanel audio jacks work with what you connect their cable to. In most systems you just stick the cable onto the mobo's audio header and it'll use the integrated audio. Some more expensive sound cards replicate the audio header and sticking the cable there will send the signal from the sound card to the front jacks. The cheapest and most expensive sound cards have proprietary headers instead which AC97 front panels won't work with without a hardware hack. In those cases you just have to stick the headphones in the back of the sound card (hope you have a long cable! :P) and live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Solitaire wrote: »
    Same as all cases - frontpanel audio jacks work with what you connect their cable to. In most systems you just stick the cable onto the mobo's audio header and it'll use the integrated audio. Some more expensive sound cards replicate the audio header and sticking the cable there will send the signal from the sound card to the front jacks. The cheapest and most expensive sound cards have proprietary headers instead which AC97 front panels won't work with without a hardware hack. In those cases you just have to stick the headphones in the back of the sound card (hope you have a long cable! :P) and live with it.

Hmmm, the cable is long enough but its just a pain in the ass having to plug them in there! :(

What sound card do you have? Doesn't it have an AC97 header?

I have a Hack-Fi (Audigy LS with modded X-Fi drivers) and I know Creative's budget cards don't - instead they have a proprietary Dell header instead. Yes, Dell. Its just the mobo audio connector with a different pinout but while I'm too lazy to go play with cutting up my frontpanel audio connector others could - I thought I saw a pic for doing it somewhere out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

py2006 wrote: »
    Hmmm, the cable is long enough but its just a pain in the ass having to plug them in there! :(

then get a splitter so your speakers and headphones can be plugged in at the same time to the audio out port on your soundcard and quit your bitchin :pac:.

A splitter can be picked any where half dacent for audio parts. I manged to get one in tesco of all places....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

or you can buy speakers with a head phone jack in them. That's what I have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Solitaire wrote: »
    What sound card do you have? Doesn't it have an AC97 header?

I have a Hack-Fi (Audigy LS with modded X-Fi drivers) and I know Creative's budget cards don't - instead they have a proprietary Dell header instead. Yes, Dell. Its just the mobo audio connector with a different pinout but while I'm too lazy to go play with cutting up my frontpanel audio connector others could - I thought I saw a pic for doing it somewhere out there...

I am using Creatives XtremeGamer! I am not sure if it has an AC97 header and I aint even sure what that is! :confused:
    uberpixie wrote: »
    then get a splitter so your speakers and headphones can be plugged in at the same time to the audio out port on your soundcard and quit your bitchin :pac:.

A splitter can be picked any where half dacent for audio parts. I manged to get one in tesco of all places....

I was looking at them splitters on ebay just now! Do they output the sound through speakers and headphones at same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

py2006 wrote: »
    I was looking at them splitters on ebay just now! Do they output the sound through speakers and headphones at same time?

Yes they do.

With most versions of the XtremeGamer the usual frontpanel audio connector that goes to your mobo's audio header should work. See the pin headers at the front of the board?

23249_23249-1.jpg

Hook up the frontpanel connector to whichever port fits/works - probably the AC97, maybe the HD/Azalia

On the other hand if you have a certain version you're screwed as Creative wanted you to buy an expensive 5.25" breakout panel for it... :rolleyes:

Advertisement