Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mantra Nightclub Maynooth.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

What the feck is with that website? My God they seem well up their own hole.

Went to the LA once, never went back aagain. I'm sure I'll give Mantra a try though for curiosity's sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Or play GTA: Vice City. Less smell of sick I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Or play GTA: Vice City. Less smell of sick I'd imagine

If it manages to translate the Calicio's vibe I'm there

Also needs video poker and slots

Ooooo! Good idea! I LOVE that game!

/me remembers flying along motorways on a boke while Blondies blares through my speakers.

Good times! Actually......I think its in my attic. Oh well.....bye bye practicing. :(

Do you think you do drive bys in Mantra? I do hope so

• Advertisement

If they kept the soundtrack going I'd move in

Blondie, Toto, Frankie goes to hollywood, Spandau ballet, Lazlo...

Gotta get me a white suit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Next Boards session :pac:

**It does look incredibly GTA. I can imagine the same no brainer playlist they you get in The Roost appearing however, don't bank on anything out of the norm. There's room for a club-night for decent music in Maynooth, will it happen? Noooo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Nationalist

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Next Boards session :pac:

**It does look incredibly GTA. I can imagine the same no brainer playlist they you get in The Roost appearing however, don't bank on anything out of the norm. There's room for a club-night for decent music in Maynooth, will it happen? Noooo.

I wish it would have better music, and it should considering that theres so many places in Maynooth.

Mantra looks very Vice City? Like the the Malibu club in it? I dunno, iv never seen anything like Mantra before, I heard last night thats its gona be bigger than time? I know its big but it couldnt be that big, could it?

It couldn't be bigger than Time. There's no space there for it to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 URCHEEEZ

I miss the LA!!! :(

Loved everything about the place... the people, (minus the scumbaggy weekend crowd), the podiums, the killer stairs, the fact that half the smoking area was practically inside, the 2.50 drinks, the bar staff, the bouncers who'd pick you up and help you in the door if you were too drunk to stand, Orla Feeney, the old-school music, the fact that no matter how absolutely fooked you were the chances of getting kicked out were slim to none ...

*sigh* Something tells me "Mantra" isn't gunna be quite the same! Monday night madness is gone!

As for the su ... dunno what the craic is!No matter what they do, they just can't seem to pull the crowds in ... especially in the last 2 years or so! wtf like!?!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Maybe people meant 'bigger' in the 'more popular' sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 crammer123

it may actually be bigger... i passed it the other day and they have built on loads out the back of it..looks like its gonna be huge.. and apparently theres gonna be a 24ft. waterfall inside... :eek: wow.

Just noticed the building out the back today actually. Looks like a fairly large extension. Which in the current economic climate is mind boggling really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Doesn't look like it'll be ready by July 3rd :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭pakblue

URCHEEEZ wrote: »
    I miss the LA!!! :(

Loved everything about the place... the people, (minus the scumbaggy weekend crowd), the podiums, the killer stairs, the fact that half the smoking area was practically inside, the 2.50 drinks, the bar staff, the bouncers who'd pick you up and help you in the door if you were too drunk to stand, Orla Feeney, the old-school music, the fact that no matter how absolutely fooked you were the chances of getting kicked out were slim to none ...

*sigh* Something tells me "Mantra" isn't gunna be quite the same! Monday night madness is gone!

As for the su ... dunno what the craic is!No matter what they do, they just can't seem to pull the crowds in ... especially in the last 2 years or so! wtf like!?!!

Not a truer word spoken.

The LA was the only place that even felt like nightclub albeit a very small one like it had a cloakroom/drink promotions/dark lighting a nightclub. Sure Bradys didnt even have a DJ box the DJ was set up at the very end of the bar.

Though I do admit I went to the LA in 2nd year (last year) I felt it was terrible.

Looked at the 'artist impressions' images and it looks like I will be living in the place next year.

Could it be the end of the jammed packed Brady's/Roost which are badly designed to deal with a big crowd? :eek:

Finally a dance floor :D
    4436_188429110634_184058890634_6964702_6128570_n.jpg
    http://www.mantrabar.ie/gallery.php

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭gra26

Yeah is it actually going to look like that though? Isn't that just an artists impression?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 jane says

gra26 wrote: »
    Yeah is it actually going to look like that though? Isn't that just an artists impression?

In reality it will look more like this.:p

Dancing.jpg

(With perhaps added puke).

Just noticed the building out the back today actually. Looks like a fairly large extension. Which in the current economic climate is mind boggling really.

I think in a town like Maynooth you're bound to make money on a venture like this. People are sick to death of the three pubs option. I imagine they're doing a bit of willy-waving with this one to be honest, if you build it they will come. They'll be rolling in it come September.

Hehehe.

Willy-waving.

PrivateEye wrote: »
    I think in a town like Maynooth you're bound to make money on a venture like this. People are sick to death of the three pubs option. I imagine they're doing a bit of willy-waving with this one to be honest, if you build it they will come. They'll be rolling in it come September.

I totally disagree. Fizz never took off. Caulfields. The SU. All these places had huge refurbishments when I was an undergrad. Just opening a new, fancy, shiny new establishment is no guarantee of making money. Plus what genius decided to open something like this slap bang in the middle of the quietest period in Maynooth?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Nationalist

jane says wrote: »

Dancing.jpg

Skiddle-do-de-do-de-de-da-lo, da-de-loo-de-loo-de-loo-de-da-loo.

More like what? No black people? More old people? More American flags?

Plus what genius decided to open something like this slap bang in the middle of the quietest period in Maynooth

Yep, there are questions in that regard alright. I don't understand that one either.
    Potentially an effort to pull people in from that 'other' nightclub in Leixlip? I have seen no real advertising campaign to back up that idea however.

As for a nightclub on the mainstreet, I think they're on a winner with that because in truth it's never felt like anything other than drinking in a pub in the past, and for very obvious reasons. The growth in the Uni in the last two years will continue, and I think with it there'll be demand for something different. I seen a fair whack of those NUIM coats and hoodies (You'll never catch me in one, ho ho) around town on my drunken Thursday night wanderings, so I think a half-decent nightclub might clean up...

...but will it be at the expense of the others?

Afterall it may not attract many new nighttimers, but undoubtably if its reasonably priced I think the other three could be forced to take drastic price action.

It looks like a totally new departure for Maynooth, if its anything like the images suggest (and remember it might not be sadly!) I can see it having a huge effect on the business of even the oZone/Zinc/whatever the **** they're calling it now up the road. Not like the death of that place will be a huge loss to anyone, amirite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

Plus what genius decided to open something like this slap bang in the middle of the quietest period in Maynooth?

Lots of clubs do it, open while its quiet so the can iron out the kinks before the busy periods

Anyone know why Fizz never opened during the week?

It did open during the week. Used to go there on a Wednesday back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

It did open during the week. Used to go there on a Wednesday back in the day.

Defo didnt open this year, not sure about the year before

Ah yeh, I've no idea about this year. I'm talking about 2003/2004 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I think there's too many conflicting interests in Maynooth.

There's the people who want to just sit in a quiet pub and chat for a few hours, then there's the disco bar people, then there's the people who want an all out rave with strobes and lasers.

Most places try and cater for everyone, but it's a hard task. Not to mention the fact usually a group of people going out don't all want to sit in a quiet corner, or have a big trance fest.

I totally disagree. Fizz never took off. Caulfields. The SU. All these places had huge refurbishments when I was an undergrad. Just opening a new, fancy, shiny new establishment is no guarantee of making money. Plus what genius decided to open something like this slap bang in the middle of the quietest period in Maynooth?

Why cant we just have a cinema :(

Two thumbs up for the cinema idea! 4 hours between lectures? CINEMA :pac:

• Advertisement

Not much to do anyways if you dont drink the beer

Advertisement