Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mantra Nightclub Maynooth.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

Its 18s I was there friday and satherday night and I'm 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Jessica xxx

I went there on sat night, we didnt head up to the night club till 12.30
    or something and the fuc*ers charged us E15 fuc*ing euro in!!!!! :eek: Is this right?? Cos im hearing of other people going up there at that time and it being free!! :confused: Like 15 euro, come on, thats way to steep, especailly to be going in at that hour!! Its a nice place and looks well inside but defo not ALL as cracked up as it was made out to be!!!! :mad: The heat in there was rediculas, you couldnt even dance or over exert yourself at all for fear of passing out. :( They also stopped serving drink at bang on 1.30am upstairs and downstairs!!! That is wat to early, most clubs its 2am last orders :mad: whats the story with that??? is it always gona be last orders at 1.30????? :confused::confused: It defo didnt look like it was over 23's never mind 21's, there were 18 yr olds all over the place in there on sat night, :mad: and prob younger than that!!!! i think the whole place should be over 21's AT LEAST........

Mrs Leigh wrote: »
    Hi Guys I know its not what you have been talking about here but I was at the opening of Mantra last night and was shocked at the way I was treated I only had two drinks down stairs We went to go up stairs when we went there it was crowded so we waitted after a while with my husband we got to the door and this tall girl in a black dress looked me up and down with a sneer ie Im to fat in her mind to go up stairs and told me in her words that I was to drunk to go up the head of security seen the look she gave me and heard what she said and told her he was the f**king head of security and I was not drunk that he made the decision not her I was so angery and so hurt everyone seen and heard her I went up stairs and the music and lights died five times that we drank my third drink and left on going down stairs I met the manager and explained how I felt about what happen earlier he was going mad he wants me to go to them and have a free meal on them but that not what I want I want her to be sorry for what she did to me.
    My question to you guys is what would you do if you were me my husband wants me to go to the papers also last night a lot off people were told the couldnt get in cause the were to old now I did hear that myself Im not making it up let me know any way what you think cheers
    You should go to the papers! There was alot of rude people there on sat night, my friend got looked up and down a few times by girls there to!!! There were a few people in there on sat night that deserved a few SLAPS!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Yeah, because their job was hardly stressful, the opening weekend of a fancy new club, nothing better to do but get thick with customers on their carefree job :rolleyes:. Who do they think they are, looking at people.

It was the opening weekend, they said the price would be different than usual (€10/€12). Also, everywhere in Maynooth closes at 1.30am, and it's quite possible Mantra haven't got a 2am late licence yet.

Hmmm yeah true, i think they are going to get the licence till 2am though, i just heard there that there on trial for a few weeks??!! :confused: Yeah 10 on a fri an 12 on a sat is fine, sure most clubs are that price! But fuc*ing charging people 15euro in at 12.45 is NOT ON!!!! Like your paying full whack in for only an hour, i mean for gods sake.... they wouldnt let me use my concessions either :mad: :mad: they said it was too late, How convenient!! :mad: There were a serious ammount of bitc*s in the place..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Hmmm yeah true, i think they are going to get the licence till 2am though, i just heard there that there on trial for a few weeks??!! :confused: Yeah 10 on a fri an 12 on a sat is fine, sure most clubs are that price! But fuc*ing charging people 15euro in at 12.45 is NOT ON!!!! Like your paying full whack in for only an hour, i mean for gods sake.... they wouldnt let me use my concessions either :mad: :mad: they said it was too late, How convenient!! :mad: There were a serious ammount of bitc*s in the place..

It was €10 into Fizz at anytime, including Midnight and on, so not much different really. Also, Mantra looks more like another Roost, rather than a proper Nightclub like Fizz, so the 1.30am closing time seems about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

Nedermeyer wrote: »
    Here Here.

Personally I can't remember the last time i've gone to a fine establishment and just felt the urge to put up a post on boards saying how outstanding it was.

Well done sir.

Seems many here would rather take the opinion of folk who have never been in the club or make judgement before the doors even opened.

I should have posted last week before it was open and called it crap too just to blend in.:)

I probably would not have posted if it were not for the nonsense i read in the last 10 pages or so.

I have never had the urge to post on "a fine establishment" i have not set foot in but that seems acceptable in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

But ******* charging people 15euro in at 12.45 is NOT ON!!!! .

Eh, why not just stay downstairs? You had the choice.:rolleyes:

The thought never entered my head to go upstairs and pay 12€ in when there was loads of space downstairs.
    I was there Saturday night, there was a good vibe, crowd was about 20-30 so a large variation.
    No queue at 10-10:30 when I went there.
    Pleasant enough on the door.
    Can't remember the price of a drink.
    Electricity did go out for 5/10 minutes but didn't bother me.
    Was not a sweatbox, but then it wasn't overcrowded, just busy.
    Handy getting a drink.

Overall, a positive experience and a welcome addition/competition in the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

I went there on sat night, we didnt head up to the night club till 12.30
    or something and the fuc*ers charged us E15 fuc*ing euro in!!!!! :eek: Is this right?? Cos im hearing of other people going up there at that time and it being free!! :confused: Like 15 euro, come on, thats way to steep, especailly to be going in at that hour!! Its a nice place and looks well inside but defo not ALL as cracked up as it was made out to be!!!! :mad: The heat in there was rediculas, you couldnt even dance or over exert yourself at all for fear of passing out. :( They also stopped serving drink at bang on 1.30am upstairs and downstairs!!! That is wat to early, most clubs its 2am last orders :mad: whats the story with that??? is it always gona be last orders at 1.30????? :confused::confused: It defo didnt look like it was over 23's never mind 21's, there were 18 yr olds all over the place in there on sat night, :mad: and prob younger than that!!!! i think the whole place should be over 21's AT LEAST........

Passing...out...from...smiley...over kill

*thunk*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

guinness11.jpg
    Cost?

• Advertisement

Private Eye's right, we need to discuss more important things, how far would you get with a twenty? Put it to me in terms of double Southern Comfort lime sodas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 marty89

Hey all,

Im new to this site but was just wondering if they asked anyone for ID at the door?? like im 20 and still get asked for ID, was going to go their on opening nite but i was working :mad: all wkend. its open 7 nites a wk, isnt it?? neway, il chat to u soon

marty89 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Im new to this site but was just wondering if they asked anyone for ID at the door?? like im 20 and still get asked for ID, was going to go their on opening nite but i was working :mad: all wkend. its open 7 nites a wk, isnt it?? neway, il chat to u soon

Eh no, they didnt ake me for ID or anyone i was with, infact i didnt see them asking anyone, everyone just seemed to be walking on in. Im supprised i didnt get asked, im 24 but usually get asked EVERYWHERE! ;)

Passing...out...from...smiley...over kill

*thunk*
    Oops, i just like smileys! Ill try and curtail my use of them from now on haha

ixus wrote: »
    Eh, why not just stay downstairs? You had the choice.:rolleyes:

The thought never entered my head to go upstairs and pay 12€ in when there was loads of space downstairs.
    I was there Saturday night, there was a good vibe, crowd was about 20-30 so a large variation.
    No queue at 10-10:30 when I went there.
    Pleasant enough on the door.
    Can't remember the price of a drink.
    Electricity did go out for 5/10 minutes but didn't bother me.
    Was not a sweatbox, but then it wasn't overcrowded, just busy.
    Handy getting a drink.

Overall, a positive experience and a welcome addition/competition in the town.
    I know i had a choice, but we didnt go in downstairs, when we arrived we went straight upstairs. Besides the music was better upstairs and i thought it would have been a later finish up there than downstairs, god was i wrong.....
    Also, at 12.30/12.45 it was overcrowed upstairs, you could bearly move in the place and there was at least a 20min wait for a drink all the time i was there!! It was like an oven in the place and everyone was saying it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭nothing

Went down last night for a mates bday, we had a great time, and loved the atmosphere (even if the lights did keep flickering on and off). We'll def be going back again to check out upstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

they must have got the same electrician that did my house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 snomsnom

I was in there last night and had a ****e time - shoulda gone to Time!!!

Eventhough we didn't have any hassle with the door-staff I did notice that they were VERY rude to some younger boys and girls (18-20) particularly one of the door-men with a South Afircan accent.

The main entrance got jammed up pretty quickly because when you walk in the doors into the bar downstairs there's a bar with a queue right infront of you with limited space to either side to get around it.

Not enough bar staff were working.

Was THE BIGGEST sweatbox I've ever been in in this country. It was awful. It wasn't even overly packed, but there was no a/c or even air circulating.

It will take something pretty special for me to go back there. I like Time as a club but I live in Maynooth so I don't get down to Naas very often (I rather going into town for a night out) - but I'd take Time every time over Mantra... pity as I'd hoped it was going to be a bit better than it turned out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

isn't it meant to be really warm in there? 21degrees all year round? or is that just in the garden bar?

and are they letting 18-20 yr olds in for definite if you're well dressed/not falling about the place? Ad on the radio says "Strictly over 21s" but know a good few people who've been in both weekends now and one of them is only gone 18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,748 ✭✭✭✭L1011

snomsnom wrote: »
    Eventhough we didn't have any hassle with the door-staff I did notice that they were VERY rude to some younger boys and girls (18-20) particularly one of the door-men with a South Afircan accent.

He's worked on O'Neills and The Roost and was quite likely being rude to people who are barred from one or both but not Mantra yet... standard enough when doorstaff move around locally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 2240

was there on the opening night and had great craic! :)
    im 19 and 2 people infront of me were 19,20 and got turnd away.
    there only going to turn people away that are either drunk or look like they are going to cause trouble.

oh and does anybody know the opening times like for a sunday and during the week and what time they stop serving? . . . . . thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I've a huge issue with regional pubs/nightclubs growing inflated egos when it comes to bouncers and door-staff. I've never had trouble with doormen, but just the very idea that getting into a small pub/almost nightclub in Maynooth could come down to the shoes you're wearing? Give me a break.

I'll keep riding the 66 the other direction for the summer anyway.

my mate got refused in their at lunch time by the same bloke for not wearing the right shoes, not his fault he was only following orders. Reminds me of a time years ago when a friend got refused into the Buddha bar in blanch for the same reason and at a similar time, a few hours later a drugdealer got killed in a gangland hit in that place.......he must have been wearing the right shoes anyway......

my mate got refused in their at lunch time by the same bloke for not wearing the right shoes, not his fault he was only following orders.

Are you serious? That is ridiculous. Surely they can't really afford to be turning people away and creating a bad name for themselves? And for lunch? Ffs, I mean, if people are out and about during the day and want something to eat they're hardly going to come prepared in their Sunday best, right? Does that mean they'll turn away all the trainer wearing people when the academic year resumes? They really cannot afford to be so picky,it's not like it's going to be one of those exclusive entry places where people come from everywhere to go to it, especially with this economic climate. Let's hit the Roost/Brady's O'Neills I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Nationalist

PrivateEye wrote: »
    I'll keep riding the 66 the other direction for the summer anyway.

Good Idea. Iv barely been out in Mayn all summer and when I have been in the pubs, well.. I wasnt exactly 'there' if you know what i mean.

Town all the way for the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

The trainer issue is a tricky one, because bouncers are rarely honest, so you never really know why it was that they turned you away.

I've only been in once and that was the opening night, I was in O'Neills all night and some time after twelve I went to the ATM and a few met a few lads I knew who were on the same funds trip as I, but the were in Mantra. Went back in to Mantra with them, and tbh I was fairly locked and not smartly dressed (Yes, runners!) I just walked right in no questions asked, but any other time I might have been turned away. I say there's no point in making your mind up about the bouncers/whole place until things settle down for a while. And by the time things settle down the students are back so it's all up in the air again, and we'll have to wait and see again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Sounds like their other bar in Waterford called Harveys, over priced and owned by a shower of W*****S, There is another thread about Harveys in the Waterford section, they managed to upset a lot of their customers, Im sure this place will quiten down after a few weeks, and they will leave in plenty of students, as they did in Waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Sounds like their other bar in Waterford called Harveys, over priced and owned by a shower of W*****S, There is another thread about Harveys in the Waterford section, they managed to upset a lot of their customers, Im sure this place will quiten down after a few weeks, and they will leave in plenty of students, as they did in Waterford

I'm from Waterford :)

They're the same guys?? Ha! That isnt Tweedy and Co. by any chance?

Harvey's is...hateful

i see mantra is trying to suggest on their facebook site that the REal MAdrid team will be there on the weekend. Not bloody likely! panish embassy is hosting them on sat night and i thinkt hey have a game sat as well so noway will they be out on fri

• Advertisement

Spanish embassy sorry"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I was in there last night and had a ****e time - shoulda gone to Time!!!

The main entrance got jammed up pretty quickly because when you walk in the doors into the bar downstairs there's a bar with a queue right infront of you with limited space to either side to get around it.

Not enough bar staff were working.

Was THE BIGGEST sweatbox I've ever been in in this country. It was awful. It wasn't even overly packed, but there was no a/c or even air circulating.

It will take something pretty special for me to go back there. I like Time as a club but I live in Maynooth so I don't get down to Naas very often (I rather going into town for a night out) - but I'd take Time every time over Mantra... pity as I'd hoped it was going to be a bit better than it turned out to be.

I love how your post was thanked by one who's hardly impartial to Time :p :pac::pac:

What age group where the folks stopped for wearing trainers? I had no problems getting in with runners on during the day. I found the security(bouncers) okay but i did know a few of them so my opinion does not really count here. Might explain why nothing was said about my trainers but will i ask them next time.

Any word of when the air conditioning is being commisioned?

In Glasgow just now and it drives home that the price of drink in Ireland is well overpriced. My local pub is doing a pint of lager for £1.40 Mon to Thurday. The prices in the town centre (east kilbride) was £2.50 which is still great value compared to the 4.95euro I am charged in the Penny Hill, Lucan.

my mate is 30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭SQ2

A few issues...
    Inside the place is absolutely ROASTING! I'm told that it's not going to get any better either.
    The only way around it is to go out to the smoking area where you're backtothe old days of dodging smoke clouds, and today my clothes STINK! Damn you smokers!

AND the bar staff just don't have any get up and go about them! Go upstairs to bradys to get an idea of how it's done!
    You can get 2 drinks at once-You don't HAVE to hold that pint glass until it's fully poured, learn how to put it down to go get something else!
    You don't have to measure the ice going into the glass, LASH it in to the glass, if there's not enough in it then LASH more into it! If you miss the glass the ice will end up in the ice bin again.
    You ARE allowed to break a sweat and possibly into a canter to serve folk!! (this was looking at the smokers bar last night, about 5 bar staff strolling painfully around)
    Rant over.
    Good craic and will be back, would appreciate the bar improvements if anyone can fwd this on to the staff there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

In fariness to them, they could have been told not to do any of those things. Happened to me in a bar I worked once.

No shoveling the glass into the ice box, never leave a drink unattended amoung other things. You'll see it alot in fancy hotels. But if this is how they're gonna be, then they should have an appropriate amount of staff working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

6 of us made our way down there on saturday at 12am. We were told by two bouncers that we couldn't go into the bar but that we had to pay €15 each and go upstairs to the nightclub.

Considering that €90 would probably pay for the rest of our drink between us for the night we decined their offer. On the way back out we asked another bouncer what the story was with not being allowed into the downstairs bar and he gave the signal to the first bouncer to allow us into the bar.

Crap attempt at a complete scam if you ask me.

Like someone said in a previous post, the place was an absolute sweatbox when we went in. I asked a few of the bar staff why there was no air conditioning and they said that it was broken.

Air con seemed to be working fine the next day (sunday) when we decided to check out the restaurant for food - this was a disaster in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭SQ2

That thought had occurred to me alright about hotel style staff but this is a busy bar, I'm pretty sure the barstff over in time have their skates on when it's busy.. I thought the food was nice actually by the way.

Like I said, I'll be back, but an improvement in service would be a step closer to a more enjoyable night.
    We all started somewhere behind a bar and I'm sure they'll get it together eventually..

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

SQ2 wrote: »
    Go upstairs to bradys to get an idea of how it's done!

Woop! Go Brady's!!!! :D:pac:

I was in for a while on Friday night and spoke to the bouncers about the trainers situation. The reply was "there are trainers and there are trainers, people turning up with scruffy and dirty foot wear will not be getting in" Sports wear is a no no too. I asked about getting in pished after a Celtic game and they said no a feckin hope:).

The air conditioning not working? Possible scam to have people drinking more before they are granted the full late licennse?

Never once had a problem being served at the bar. Bradies upstairs was bad to get served unless of course you where in the clique. I heard its pretty easy to get served in there now all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 lucanhoop87

right well i've read through this whole thread and i cant find the answer, does this place not open proper club hours? i.e close at half 2??

cuz if its circa a tenner in and closes at 1ish like the rest of maynooth thats a disgrace

also does anyone know if they've stopped that ridiculous policy of keeping the temperature at 21 degrees?? thats a grand temp if you are gonna be sitting down not moving a muscle but as a temp to dance in its far too hot, especially for blokes who cant get away with wearing short shorts to keep cool :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

Was there last night & was blown away!

Time might be bigger but it's full of 18-22 year olds falling around the place.

The staff where great & plenty of them on.

As far as I know it's a 20 or 21's or older policy which is understandable as they're not looking for 18-19 year old students but the slightly more mature students & locals.

I live in Lucan & hate going to town. Lucan has to be the most boring place in the country for a pint. If I fancy a few late drinks then it won't even be Courtney's for me as I'll be straight up to Mantra.

Did you know that on Fridays & Saturday they have 1-2 full time paramedics on site in the first aid room upstairs? Now if that's not piece of mind I don't know what is!

Mantra will no doubt drag in the crowds from miles around & I for one will be sending all my friends there from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

barochoc wrote: »
    Was there last night & was blown away!

Time might be bigger but it's full of 18-22 year olds falling around the place.

The staff where great & plenty of them on.

As far as I know it's a 20 or 21's or older policy which is understandable as they're not looking for 18-19 year old students but the slightly more mature students & locals.

I live in Lucan & hate going to town. Lucan has to be the most boring place in the country for a pint. If I fancy a few late drinks then it won't even be Courtney's for me as I'll be straight up to Mantra.

Did you know that on Fridays & Saturday they have 1-2 full time paramedics on site in the first aid room upstairs? Now if that's not piece of mind I don't know what is!

Mantra will no doubt drag in the crowds from miles around & I for one will be sending all my friends there from now on.

Don't have a stake in the place do ya? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I was there for the first time on Thursday. I managed to get in with runners. I walked in with a group of people wearing suits. And in fairness the bouncer didn't look at my feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

So is Mantra definitely not targeting students under 21 during the college year. Its madness if they dont.

Harpie wrote: »
    Don't have a stake in the place do ya? :p

Absolutely not. I sell lighting or light bulbs for anyone who wants to know. Haven't a bean to my name at the moment. Actually own nothing other than my clothes, my laptop & my car (which is 14 years old).

I rent so no mortgage (thank fook)

I just hate town (Dublin city) it's a hole. Must be one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Guaranteed a fight or a blade if you're looking for it.

Maynooth is not too bad & not too far from Lucan. I'd never go there as all other pubs/clubs are crap. Mantra however is well worth the trip for me. I'm 34 so I like a bit of a mix. Not kids falling over after too many Fat Frogs or Vodka Red bulls (both the drinks of a pikey)

I'm into the late bar but would have to be blind drunk to pay €15 in to the night club. This is the only negative comment I have to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Teabag!

I just hate town (Dublin city) it's a hole. Must be one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Guaranteed a fight or a blade if you're looking for it.

Its hardly Kabul, or London for that matter. Dublin City Centre in no worse than anyother cosmopolitan city. And to say its one of the most dangerous in the world is a bit ott,

it has to be asked why would you be lookin for a "blade or a fight" this is just stupidity,

i find dublin city to be fairly ok, though pissheads, pukers and people who cant stand after a night out do annoy me, that said i'm teatotal so i dont sympathise with these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭misstierney

'Peace' of mind is knowing the clientele aren't the type to drink themselves into a stupor, thus needing one or two paramedics on site....

'Peace' of mind is knowing the clientele aren't the type to drink themselves into a stupor, thus needing one or two paramedics on site....

Well if you know of such establishments where nobody ever gets intoxicated I love to know where this is.

Also a place where there's 100% guarantee that nobody could ever fall over & hurt themselves, have an epileptic fit, slip in the toilet, fall over a handbag or jacket..... etc.. I would also love to frequent such an amazing establishment!

For the time being, I think paramedics on-site is good piece of mind :)

" slip in the toilet" no chance of that, the toilets are more crowded than the dancefloor...............note to self -- when i do finally build my dream nightclub, better make sure i have enough toilets:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Yeh, toilets are woefully inadequate in Mantra. Mantra sucks

• Advertisement
Advertisement