Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mantra Nightclub Maynooth.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

snomsnom wrote: »
    I was in there last night and had a ****e time - shoulda gone to Time!!!

Eventhough we didn't have any hassle with the door-staff I did notice that they were VERY rude to some younger boys and girls (18-20) particularly one of the door-men with a South Afircan accent.

The main entrance got jammed up pretty quickly because when you walk in the doors into the bar downstairs there's a bar with a queue right infront of you with limited space to either side to get around it.

Not enough bar staff were working.

Was THE BIGGEST sweatbox I've ever been in in this country. It was awful. It wasn't even overly packed, but there was no a/c or even air circulating.

It will take something pretty special for me to go back there. I like Time as a club but I live in Maynooth so I don't get down to Naas very often (I rather going into town for a night out) - but I'd take Time every time over Mantra... pity as I'd hoped it was going to be a bit better than it turned out to be.

I love how your post was thanked by one who's hardly impartial to Time :p :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

What age group where the folks stopped for wearing trainers? I had no problems getting in with runners on during the day. I found the security(bouncers) okay but i did know a few of them so my opinion does not really count here. Might explain why nothing was said about my trainers but will i ask them next time.

Any word of when the air conditioning is being commisioned?

In Glasgow just now and it drives home that the price of drink in Ireland is well overpriced. My local pub is doing a pint of lager for £1.40 Mon to Thurday. The prices in the town centre (east kilbride) was £2.50 which is still great value compared to the 4.95euro I am charged in the Penny Hill, Lucan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

my mate is 30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭SQ2

A few issues...
    Inside the place is absolutely ROASTING! I'm told that it's not going to get any better either.
    The only way around it is to go out to the smoking area where you're backtothe old days of dodging smoke clouds, and today my clothes STINK! Damn you smokers!

AND the bar staff just don't have any get up and go about them! Go upstairs to bradys to get an idea of how it's done!
    You can get 2 drinks at once-You don't HAVE to hold that pint glass until it's fully poured, learn how to put it down to go get something else!
    You don't have to measure the ice going into the glass, LASH it in to the glass, if there's not enough in it then LASH more into it! If you miss the glass the ice will end up in the ice bin again.
    You ARE allowed to break a sweat and possibly into a canter to serve folk!! (this was looking at the smokers bar last night, about 5 bar staff strolling painfully around)
    Rant over.
    Good craic and will be back, would appreciate the bar improvements if anyone can fwd this on to the staff there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

In fariness to them, they could have been told not to do any of those things. Happened to me in a bar I worked once.

No shoveling the glass into the ice box, never leave a drink unattended amoung other things. You'll see it alot in fancy hotels. But if this is how they're gonna be, then they should have an appropriate amount of staff working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

6 of us made our way down there on saturday at 12am. We were told by two bouncers that we couldn't go into the bar but that we had to pay €15 each and go upstairs to the nightclub.

Considering that €90 would probably pay for the rest of our drink between us for the night we decined their offer. On the way back out we asked another bouncer what the story was with not being allowed into the downstairs bar and he gave the signal to the first bouncer to allow us into the bar.

Crap attempt at a complete scam if you ask me.

Like someone said in a previous post, the place was an absolute sweatbox when we went in. I asked a few of the bar staff why there was no air conditioning and they said that it was broken.

Air con seemed to be working fine the next day (sunday) when we decided to check out the restaurant for food - this was a disaster in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭SQ2

That thought had occurred to me alright about hotel style staff but this is a busy bar, I'm pretty sure the barstff over in time have their skates on when it's busy.. I thought the food was nice actually by the way.

Like I said, I'll be back, but an improvement in service would be a step closer to a more enjoyable night.
    We all started somewhere behind a bar and I'm sure they'll get it together eventually..

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

SQ2 wrote: »
    Go upstairs to bradys to get an idea of how it's done!

Woop! Go Brady's!!!! :D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

I was in for a while on Friday night and spoke to the bouncers about the trainers situation. The reply was "there are trainers and there are trainers, people turning up with scruffy and dirty foot wear will not be getting in" Sports wear is a no no too. I asked about getting in pished after a Celtic game and they said no a feckin hope:).

The air conditioning not working? Possible scam to have people drinking more before they are granted the full late licennse?

Never once had a problem being served at the bar. Bradies upstairs was bad to get served unless of course you where in the clique. I heard its pretty easy to get served in there now all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 lucanhoop87

right well i've read through this whole thread and i cant find the answer, does this place not open proper club hours? i.e close at half 2??

cuz if its circa a tenner in and closes at 1ish like the rest of maynooth thats a disgrace

also does anyone know if they've stopped that ridiculous policy of keeping the temperature at 21 degrees?? thats a grand temp if you are gonna be sitting down not moving a muscle but as a temp to dance in its far too hot, especially for blokes who cant get away with wearing short shorts to keep cool :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

Was there last night & was blown away!

Time might be bigger but it's full of 18-22 year olds falling around the place.

The staff where great & plenty of them on.

As far as I know it's a 20 or 21's or older policy which is understandable as they're not looking for 18-19 year old students but the slightly more mature students & locals.

I live in Lucan & hate going to town. Lucan has to be the most boring place in the country for a pint. If I fancy a few late drinks then it won't even be Courtney's for me as I'll be straight up to Mantra.

Did you know that on Fridays & Saturday they have 1-2 full time paramedics on site in the first aid room upstairs? Now if that's not piece of mind I don't know what is!

Mantra will no doubt drag in the crowds from miles around & I for one will be sending all my friends there from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

barochoc wrote: »
    Was there last night & was blown away!

Time might be bigger but it's full of 18-22 year olds falling around the place.

The staff where great & plenty of them on.

As far as I know it's a 20 or 21's or older policy which is understandable as they're not looking for 18-19 year old students but the slightly more mature students & locals.

I live in Lucan & hate going to town. Lucan has to be the most boring place in the country for a pint. If I fancy a few late drinks then it won't even be Courtney's for me as I'll be straight up to Mantra.

Did you know that on Fridays & Saturday they have 1-2 full time paramedics on site in the first aid room upstairs? Now if that's not piece of mind I don't know what is!

Mantra will no doubt drag in the crowds from miles around & I for one will be sending all my friends there from now on.

Don't have a stake in the place do ya? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I was there for the first time on Thursday. I managed to get in with runners. I walked in with a group of people wearing suits. And in fairness the bouncer didn't look at my feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

So is Mantra definitely not targeting students under 21 during the college year. Its madness if they dont.

Harpie wrote: »
    Don't have a stake in the place do ya? :p

Absolutely not. I sell lighting or light bulbs for anyone who wants to know. Haven't a bean to my name at the moment. Actually own nothing other than my clothes, my laptop & my car (which is 14 years old).

I rent so no mortgage (thank fook)

I just hate town (Dublin city) it's a hole. Must be one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Guaranteed a fight or a blade if you're looking for it.

Maynooth is not too bad & not too far from Lucan. I'd never go there as all other pubs/clubs are crap. Mantra however is well worth the trip for me. I'm 34 so I like a bit of a mix. Not kids falling over after too many Fat Frogs or Vodka Red bulls (both the drinks of a pikey)

I'm into the late bar but would have to be blind drunk to pay €15 in to the night club. This is the only negative comment I have to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Teabag!

I just hate town (Dublin city) it's a hole. Must be one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Guaranteed a fight or a blade if you're looking for it.

Its hardly Kabul, or London for that matter. Dublin City Centre in no worse than anyother cosmopolitan city. And to say its one of the most dangerous in the world is a bit ott,

it has to be asked why would you be lookin for a "blade or a fight" this is just stupidity,

i find dublin city to be fairly ok, though pissheads, pukers and people who cant stand after a night out do annoy me, that said i'm teatotal so i dont sympathise with these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭misstierney

'Peace' of mind is knowing the clientele aren't the type to drink themselves into a stupor, thus needing one or two paramedics on site....

'Peace' of mind is knowing the clientele aren't the type to drink themselves into a stupor, thus needing one or two paramedics on site....

Well if you know of such establishments where nobody ever gets intoxicated I love to know where this is.

Also a place where there's 100% guarantee that nobody could ever fall over & hurt themselves, have an epileptic fit, slip in the toilet, fall over a handbag or jacket..... etc.. I would also love to frequent such an amazing establishment!

For the time being, I think paramedics on-site is good piece of mind :)

" slip in the toilet" no chance of that, the toilets are more crowded than the dancefloor...............note to self -- when i do finally build my dream nightclub, better make sure i have enough toilets:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Yeh, toilets are woefully inadequate in Mantra. Mantra sucks

• Advertisement

anyone meet the owner yet, nice chap but seriously dude lose the white suit..the man from del monte says no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

ya mantra is crap, i go there every single weekend and im just sick of it

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭misstierney

Well if you know of such establishments where nobody ever gets intoxicated I love to know where this is.

Also a place where there's 100% guarantee that nobody could ever fall over & hurt themselves, have an epileptic fit, slip in the toilet, fall over a handbag or jacket..... etc.. I would also love to frequent such an amazing establishment!

For the time being, I think paramedics on-site is good piece of mind :)

I didn't say "intoxicated", I said "drink themselves into a stupor"-there's a big difference. Also, as regards "slip in the toilet, fall over a handbag or jacket..... etc.." you can't have paramedics on call wherever there's likely to be clumsy people.

And in terms of epilepsy, it is thankfully far from a common occurance, and it is massively, massively inpractical to be have paramedics on call for whenever this happens. Very few people ever witness someone personally having an epiletic fit because bad as the condition is, it is not common.

Back to my original point, if you want to drink in a place where so many people drink themselves unconscious or become so violent when drunk that paramedics are required on standby, you're welcome to stay there! I will stay in regular clubs where only a handful of people are this bad by and large. Unless of course the clubs you go to are full of clumsy epiletics, not drinkers. That place sounds like a barrel of laughs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

You sound like some craic.

The bouncer directed us all upstairs saying to go quick its free. It wasn't. So I went down and and told him, he denied he ever said that. What an arse, I wouldn't have minded if he said sorry i made a mistake and that I must have just missed out (it was literally a minute after 10.30) but tried to kick me out then. Nice!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Now if only they'd been there the night I fell down those bloody stairs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Plattsy

Now if only they'd been there the night I fell down those bloody stairs!

Hahaha! Amazing you survived actually! Falling own stairs does tend to be rather on the dangerous side.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Plattsy wrote: »
    Hahaha! Amazing you survived actually! Falling own stairs does tend to be rather on the dangerous side.....

seeing as I'm pretty sure u are who i think you are you saw the state of me afta that! I couldn't sleep on my side for two weeks! I was in bits!

seeing as I'm pretty sure u are who i think you are you saw the state of me afta that! I couldn't sleep on my side for two weeks! I was in bits!

I am indeed who you think I am. Yes, I knew that. Ouch....

Went up there last night. Got sent on my way at the door for being 18 instead of 21- despite many 18yr olds being let in. Later on in the night I went up there again and the same guy turned me away with no explanation. So I was pretty angry at this point- I went up there again. Another one of them went "No, not tonight. Too drunk."
    "I am in full control of my faculties. That's rubbish. What is the real reason for my not being let in?" He wouldn't say. I kept asking him. Eventually the first guy let me in anyway, presumably to be rid of me. It's true what they say about the boorishness and "selectiveness" of the doormen etc there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

Went to Mantra on Wednesday night... Was so disappointed! I had never bothered going upstairs before so we said we'd give it a go that night. We got in for free and didn't get our ID checked. (I do not look 18!) When we got up there, half of us were told we had to put out coats in the coakroom, the other half weren't. They charged us €2 a coat which isn't bad I suppose, but they also wanted to charge extra for my scarf! I had put my coat inside my boyfriend's one and put them on the same hanger and I thought she was going to kick me out for that! My coat was so not big enough to constitute its own hanger!

Then we headed in, and all of the seats inside were taken. We headed out to the garden part (at which stage I was freezing, because I didn't have my coat!) and I went to get a drink. I ordered a Captain Morgan and Red, but they didn't have any red, so he put a dash of 7up in it instead... Then charged me €7!
    It was the scabbiest shot I've ever seen!

After a while, myself and my boyfriend went to dance (we were the only ones). Four other people got up and started to dance but as soon as everyone got into it, he put on a sh*t song. That pattern was to continue for the entire night! He was the most pathetic DJ I've ever heard! When there were barely any people on the floor he started putting on anthems that you couldn't dance to. Then, at around 12 o' clock, the fire alarm started going off and all of the lights came on. No one seemed to move and a minute later, the music came back on. This pattern continued ever 2 minutes for the next 45 minutes that we stayed there until we left. It was the worst club experience I've had.

Manta, you suck.

Advertisement