Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best/Worst Concept Albums

• 11-05-2009 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

What are your favourite/least favourite concept albums? Being a fan of prog - both prog rock and metal - I love a good concept album, something that really draws me in for 45-80 mins. Here are some of my likes and dislikes.

Favourites:
    Opeth - Still Life
    Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory: Metropolis Part 2
    Pink Floyd - The Wall
    Camel - The Snow Goose

Dislike:
    Avantasia - The Metal Opera
    Angra - Temple of Shadows

Although I love most songs on Angra's album, it just doesn't really work for me as a concept album. So, any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Tommy by The Who immediately jumps to mind as one of the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Good topic. I love a good concept album. If I was to choose my favourite 3 they'd be:

Operation Mindcrime - Queensryche
    Streets - Savatage
    The Edge - Eternity X

As for bad ones, you mentioned avantasia's metal opera, I didn't think much of that either. Also Wasp - Neon God 1 and 2 as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

I never really liked Tommy, apart from Pinball Wizard.

Operation Mindcrime is a great album. I can't say I know much WASP

JBnaglfar wrote: »

Operation Mindcrime is a great album. I can't say I know much WASP

Mindcrime will always be up there as one of the best concept albums for me anyway. You can add Mindcrime II to the crap list though.

Wasp's Neon God albums might be a bit sh*te but their 'Crimson Idol' concept album is excellent.

Mindcrime will always be up there as one of the best concept albums for me anyway. You can add Mindcrime II to the crap list though.

Wasp's Neon God albums might be a bit sh*te but their 'Crimson Idol' concept album is excellent.

Right then, I'll keep an eye out for 'Crimson Idol'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Good

Diamond dogs - David Bowie
    Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie
    Dark side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
    Sgt Peppers - The Beatles
    Arthur - The Kinks
    Village Green appreciation society - The Kinks
    In the garden of pharoahs - Popol Vuh
    Autobahn/Radioactivity/Man Machine/Trans-Europe Express/Computer world - Kraftwerk

Bad

Metal machine music - Lou Reed
    Animals - Pink Floyd (Has its moments but generally could do better)
    The Wall - Pink Floyd (Has its moments but generally could do better)
    The Final Cut - Pink Floyd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory: Metropolis Part 2
    Pink Floyd - The Wall
    Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
    Queensryche - American Soldier (although I am stretching what is regarded as a concept album somewhat by including this)
    Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
    WASP - The Crimson Idol
    Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds.

I understand that some of it appears weak, I put this down to the fact that the album is Rock Opera rather than a Concept album. So for the story to work in Tommy it breaks down in places (similarly The Wall also has a lot of this).

However I think Tommy makes up for it with class songs other than Pinball, e.g. Amazing Journey/Sparks, Acid Queen/Underture, and We're not gonna take it/See me feel me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I always thought that Sgt Pepper was a good album, but didn't really follow the concept through. So it could fall in either category.

I am a big fan of concept albums, my favourites would probably be

Mastodon - Leviathan (Moby Dick is the best)
    Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory
    Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good

Dark Side of the Moon
    Wish You Were Here
    Thick as a Brick (parody thats better than most genuine ones)
    The Wall (yes its bombastic but its meant to be theatrical with dramatic peaks and troughs)
    Operation Mindcrime
    Imaginos - thunderous and quite mad concept about the supernatural origins of WW1

Bad
    Yes - Tales of Topographic Oceans

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

horslips - "the tain" and also "the book of invasions"
    jethro tull - "thick as a brick", "aqualung"
    rush - "hemispheres" - "2112" (both had side one of these albums as one big concept.....so i think that counts?!)

worst? not sure,...but KISS had one cant remember the name...i liked a couple of songs on it...but overall was a weak "concept" album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Oh yeah, The Táin of course.

Also ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition, and everyone should check out the original by mussorgsky too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

KISS concept album - The Elder? It was a movie soundtrack too, wasn't it?

Baggio wrote: »
    horslips - "the tain" and also "the book of invasions"

Good choice

rush - "hemispheres" - "2112" (both had side one of these albums as one big concept.....so i think that counts?!)

Half an album I dont think makes a concept album, however Cygnus X-1 is over 2 albums. So perhaps its allowed, the only problem is I think Hemispheres is awful. The lyrics just make me cringe in Cygnus X1 Book II

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

What are your favourite/least favourite concept albums? Being a fan of prog - both prog rock and metal - I love a good concept album, something that really draws me in for 45-80 mins. Here are some of my likes and dislikes.

Favourites:

Camel - The Snow Goose

Such a great album!

Favourites:

Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscient
    Porcuptine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
    Mastodon - Everything from Leviathan to Crack the Skye
    Thrice - The Alchemy Index Vol. 1 & 2
    Among many others already listed

Worst:

Spocks Beard - Snow
    Plus many others already listed

Camel - The Snow Goose

I never got why people love this album, I find it totally dull. It lacks any edge, The music for "Dunkirk" could be about an exhilirating bike ride rather than a supposed depiction of War and loss. II suppose it has some merits and worth a listen. Its a 5 star album according to Progarchives which has always mystified me

damonjewel wrote: »
    Camel - The Snow Goose

I never got why people love this album, I find it totally dull.

Guess it's just a matter of personal taste. I love Camel's style of prog - well, the first few albums in particular. The later albums have some good stuff too. I agree that its not very edgy, but there aren't many better albums to chill out to in my opinion

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

2 that havent been mentiond that I love are

Ayreon - The Human Equation
    and
    Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Ayreon - The Human Equation

Good choice. Ayreon's Into the Electric Castle is another I'd pick, two CDs of awesomeness.

Good choice. Ayreon's Into the Electric Castle is another I'd pick, two CDs of awesomeness.
    Cool, I'll check it out, I have The Dream Sequencer and The Final Experiment aswell, which are both pretty good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

fortuneg wrote: »
    Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscient
    Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

How did I manage to forget those two???:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Two great ones that I like:

Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2
    Ayreon - 01011001

I have to say that I dislike The Metal Opera by Avantasia. Haven't heard it all, in all fairness, but what I heard was a bit cringeworthy. One or two nice catchy songs.

Just listening to Abigail by King Diamond, thought I'd put it in here as a good concept album.

Indeed King has a fair few good concepts, Abigail being my favourite followed by Them.

TSO's 'Beethoven's last Night' is a cracker too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I don't generally like concept albums at all. The songs generally don't stand very well on their own, meaning it always feels like a case of "listen to the whole album or nothing" with me.

Operation mindcrime was great and all when I first heard it but I can't stand to listen to the entire thing in one go anymore. Only one or two of the songs still hold my interest. Is Empire considered a concept album? I think I actually prefer that these days..

Streets by Savatage deserves another mention, as back then they were fantastic. Went a little concept album happy after Criss died though. Nice mix of fast and ballady type songs and the guitar playing is fantastic (hairs standing on the back of your neck good at times - check out Tonight he grins again - Criss Oliva played with a level of emotion that I don't think will ever be matched again )

Heart of a Killer by Winter's Bane is pretty cool (and has early Tim "Ripper" Owens on it)

Nobody else will have heard of them, but Night of the crime by Icon is probably my favourite concept album. It was their second album (the first being very raw sounding standard rock/metal affaird) and actually turned out really well. Like Empire, it was one of those "WTF" albums when you first listen to it, and like Empire, I thought it was pretty crap. It was a total grower and I must have listened to it countless times since first hearing it. It's pretty good for picking a random song and having a listen, but It never ever feels like a chore having to sit through the full thing. Someone else did a review of it here - http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/2786/icon.html it's a bit flowery sounding though! ("willowy guitar solo" ?!?!)

Seventh son of a seventh son would be on my worst list. It's dull dull dull. ( the title track suffers from the usual tired maiden trick of bruce singing the song title over and over and over and over again for the chorus) Do maiden have any other albums that would be considered concept albums?

Still undecided on Nostradamus. The first disc is pretty fantastic but the second one is a bit dull. They could have done with shortening it perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Just listening to Abigail by King Diamond, thought I'd put it in here as a good concept album.

I'll have to give more of his stuff a listen. Only he could make the word "gradma" sound creepy :D

horslips - "the tain"

Definitely, I've had the chorus from 'Charolias' popping into my head now and then for the last week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

can't believe no one's mentioned blind guardian - nightfall in middle earth.

dredg - el cielo is quite awesome as well.

I have to say that I dislike The Metal Opera by Avantasia. Haven't heard it all, in all fairness, but what I heard was a bit cringeworthy. One or two nice catchy songs.

I unfortunately have to agree with you. Love Edguy and I think Tobias Sammet is a cracking vocalist, but Avantasia just dont do it for me, bar one or two songs.

Good call with Nightfall in Middle Earth btw

• Advertisement

Great post Lemonhead.
    I don't generally like concept albums at all. The songs generally don't stand very well on their own, meaning it always feels like a case of "listen to the whole album or nothing" with me.

I think it depends on how obvious it is that the song is telling a part of the overall 'story' if you know what I mean. The problem is songs that can't stand up on their own, without it being obvious that they're part of a larger storyline.
    Operation mindcrime was great and all when I first heard it but I can't stand to listen to the entire thing in one go anymore. Only one or two of the songs still hold my interest. Is Empire considered a concept album? I think I actually prefer that these days..
    I think I'm the opposite, I can't really listen to one or two songs from OM anymore, I really have to be in the mood to take it all in. I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure empire isn't a concept album.
    Streets by Savatage deserves another mention, as back then they were fantastic. Went a little concept album happy after Criss died though. Nice mix of fast and ballady type songs and the guitar playing is fantastic (hairs standing on the back of your neck good at times - check out Tonight he grins again - Criss Oliva played with a level of emotion that I don't think will ever be matched again )
    Although Streets is one of my favourite albums, you have to agree it kind of falls short 'story' wise. It's a bit all over the place and doesn't really have a proper ending. On the other hand, 'Tonight He Grins Again', 'St. Patrick's' and 'Ghost In The Ruins' really show Criss at his best, absolutely stunning guitar playing on those.
    Nobody else will have heard of them, but Night of the crime by Icon is probably my favourite concept album. It was their second album (the first being very raw sounding standard rock/metal affaird) and actually turned out really well. Like Empire, it was one of those "WTF" albums when you first listen to it, and like Empire, I thought it was pretty crap. It was a total grower and I must have listened to it countless times since first hearing it. It's pretty good for picking a random song and having a listen, but It never ever feels like a chore having to sit through the full thing. Someone else did a review of it here - http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/2786/icon.html it's a bit flowery sounding though! ("willowy guitar solo" ?!?!)
    I've never heard of them but I must check that out. Looking at that site I'm surprised to see a review of The Edge on there. I mentioned it in my first post and I recommend it to anyone that likes prog. It's just a fantastic album but unfortuantely just like Icon it seems nobody's heard of them.

Advertisement