Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE send Bully Debt Collector to my Door

Options
  • 11-05-2009 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I received a very unwelcome door knock on Friday last. It was from a Debt collection agency working on behalf the HSE.

He claimed I owe the HSE 50 euros for an A & E visit I have absolutely no recollection of.

Apparantly I have two weeks to pay up for else he "will be back, not alone and wont be leaving without the money"

Has anyone else any experience of this? Im considering reporting this matter to the Gardai.

Has anyone any advice on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭raptorman

He probably doesn't work for the HSE at all. I was in A&E a two months ago and it as 100 or 120 Euro standard fee as far as I can remember.

Call the Guards would be my advice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Let me get this straight, you're complaining that a DEBT COLLECTOR is not nice to you and ask you to pay an outstanding amount? What did you expect a debt collector did, come over with flowers, parfume and do your garden while kindly asking you to please consider to pay of 1c a year on the debt?

Ask for the back up of the debt, if it is correct then pay it, end of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 aboutjo1

Sorry I should have said he was only working on behalf of HSE. He claimed to work for an agency called Cash Flow Services.

Think I'll make a phone call to my local Gardai. Just a little frightened in case I do have an outstanding debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭raptorman

I'd be a little more worried if couldn't remember being to A&E to be honest!

Nody wrote: »
    Let me get this straight, you're complaining that a DEBT COLLECTOR is not nice to you and ask you to pay an outstanding amount? What did you expect a debt collector did, come over with flowers, parfume and do your garden while kindly asking you to please consider to pay of 1c a year on the debt?

Let me get this straight. I have no recollection of ever been to the A & E department of the hospital in years. Are you suggesting that I hand over money to anybody that calls to my door threatening to beat me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Have you contacted the HSE about it? Asked for a copy of the bill and why you've never received one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Did he have your name right, and did he have any official letters or bills form the HSE? Did you receive any bills from the HSE in the last few months?

It hasn't been 50 euro for A&E admission in years, it was 70 up until last year, and it's now 100.

Don't pay anything until you have an actual bill (that you can confirm) from the HSE. You should contact them yourself, and see if there's anything to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

aboutjo1 wrote: »
    Sorry I should have said he was only working on behalf of HSE. He claimed to work for an agency called Cash Flow Services.

Think I'll make a phone call to my local Gardai. Just a little frightened in case I do have an outstanding debt.

If you're concerned about the potential debt, shouldn't you call the HSE first and enquire as to where this debt arose from?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Let me get this straight. I have no recollection of ever been to the A & E department of the hospital in years. Are you suggesting that I hand over money to anybody that calls to my door threatening to beat me?

Its ok, people on the internet are quick to blame, throw their hands in the air and scream about how idiotic you are. Ignore them and take the good advice.

Normally you would get an invoice in the post, followed by several other invoices. If you have no recollection of this then I would think this could b e mistaken identity or a scam. I would call the Gardai and if they come back, ask for ID and a copy of the invoice, you will then need time to tell if its legit.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you're concerned about the potential debt, shouldn't you call the HSE first and enquire as to where this debt arose from?

I'd agree, please don't waste Gardai time on something that they will not assist you with anyway

• Advertisement

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Have you contacted the HSE about it? Asked for a copy of the bill and why you've never received one?

I have contacted them. The HSE have said they have multiple debt collection agencys. I am awaiting a phone call from someone who is investigating the matter.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

threatening to beat me?

Wait, did he actually say he would physically assault you, or are you making a giant leap of an assumption?

Yes in words I would rather not repeat. He suggested the next time he called he would beat me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You are not under any obligation to answer your door to debt collectors nor to hand over any cash to them, regardless of how much they kick and scream.

I would report the matter to the Gardai as he was clearly threatening you, regardless of whether or not the debt exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Yes in words I would rather not repeat. He suggested the next time he called he would beat me.

Ok, thats a whole seperate issue, and yes you should report that to the Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If the meat-head is genuine, I wonder if you get free medical treatment were he to beat you to a pulp on your doorstep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Nody wrote: »

Hang on. Lots of people can't afford to pay for their healthcare. Whether they're pensioners, addicts or people who've just fallen on hard times...it's a sad day when we send round thugs to people who are struggling to pay a bill for their health!

I know the OP doesn't think the bill is legit, but I'm just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Get onto the Gardai immediately. Wether or not you owe the money is now of secondary concern.

Under Section 11 of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act 1997 it is an offence to demand payment of a debt in a way designed to alarm, distress or humiliate. This also covers both blackmail and extortion. (Extortion means using intimidation or the threat of violence to obtain money, information or anything else of value from another person).
    If someone is charged with this offence and it is tried as a summary offence (that is, in a District Court by a judge only) the maximum penalty is €1,270 and or 12 months imprisonment. If someone is charged with this offence and it is tried as an indictable offence (that is, in the Circuit Criminal Court or Central Criminal Court before a judge and jury) the maximum penalty is a fine and or 14 years imprisonment.

More info here.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If the meat-head is genuine, I wonder if you get free medical treatment were he to beat you to a pulp on your doorstep?

Nice to see someone got amusement out of it. I wonder if the same person would see the funny side of it if put in the same situation.

Received a phone call from the HSE and the debt collection agency is in fact legit. They deny any threatening behaviour however.

I do in fact have an outstanding debt on their record and they are going to let me know what it is for. I am however certain I do not owe any money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

You should have sent him to A+E lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Received a phone call from the HSE and the debt collection agency is in fact legit. They deny any threatening behaviour however.

If you're talking to the HSE again, tell them you have referred the actions of their agent to the Gardai, and you will be naming the HSE as co-defendant in the civil suit you're taking against the debt collection agent, for the stress you suffered due to their bully-boy tactics and threats of physical violence leveled against you. See what they say to that.

If you do decide to take further action, Gardai or civil action, have no further contact with them until you consult a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Also write down every dongle piece of information that you can remember in relation to him calling to your door and any phone calls you have made or received from the HSE. Try to get the names of the people you are talking to as well.

It might seem silly but could become very important if things get messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

HSE have a bloody cheek in regards charging people for treatment, what the hell are we paying taxes for :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

calex71 wrote: »
    HSE have a bloody cheek in regards charging people for treatment, what the hell are we paying taxes for :mad:

So you expect all health care for free?
    You may want it this way but this is not reality, if you go to an ER and are charged for it its only right you pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Cabaal wrote: »
    You may want it this way but this is not reality, if you go to an ER and are charged for it its only right you pay

It a public service NOT a private one and as such is funded by the tax payer so yes I do feel I have a right to free basic health care, If i went to a private hospital then yes i would expect pay vhi / fees etc.

In the UK even a gp visit is free and the most you will pay for nhs scheme drugs is £7, the reality here is this isnt even remotely possible here due to the extent the government and hse have squandered health funding :(

It a public service NOT a private one and as such is funded by the tax payer so yes I do feel I have a right to free basic health care, If i went to a private hospital then yes i would expect pay vhi / fees etc.

In the UK even a gp visit is free and the most you will pay for nhs scheme drugs is £7, the reality here is this isnt even remotely possible here due to the extent the government and hse have squandered health funding :(

NHS is a different system to that of Ireland so you can't compare it when its nothing alike.

Bottom line is if you receive chargable services from the HSE you myust pay for them, why should I and everyone else in the country pay for them and you get them for free?

So while I understand where your coming from it doesn't change reality that a charge is still valid and accordingly must be paid, the HSE is doing nothing illegal by referring a unpaid bill to a debt collections agency.

Of course iof the Debt Collection Agency is not handling it very well thats a separate issue altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Cabaal wrote: »

Well as the OP didn't get any health care I would hope it would be free.

jhegarty wrote: »
    Well as the OP didn't get any health care I would hope it would be free.

Has the OP even confirmed 100% that they didn't receive healthcare?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I'm amazed the thread has got this far without anybody suggesting you contact the employer of the guy that called to the door ?

http://www.cashflowservices.com/contactus/contactus.asp

Tell them what your position is and indeed confirm if this goon is even working for them, its not beyond the realms of possibility that he was chancing his arm and hoping a little old lady answered the door and simply handed over the €50 for fear of him calling back....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Hey Cabaal, he does have a good point !!

Advertisement