Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE send Bully Debt Collector to my Door

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 adrem

Contact the guards re the threat - it's illegal

Contact the debt collection agency that the man allegedly works for - they will not tolerate their staff threatening people - it's illegal

Very odd that you would receive your first notification in this way. Also the HSE will not accept this type of behaviour from someone working on their behalf because (as you may have gathered) it's illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Cabaal wrote: »
    Has the OP even confirmed 100% that they didn't receive healthcare?

I think that is almost a moot point (albeit a strange an interesting one:confused: ). If the agent of a state body (or anyone else for that matter) is threatening violence in any capacity whilst attempting to collect a debt then imho it becomes an immediate matter for the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Furious_Daz

It might be worth reporting that guy to the collection company aswell. This is from their own website:

http://www.cashflowservices.com/codeofpractice/codeofpractice.asp

"Appointees will be instructed to avoid acrimony, contention and undue harassment and to act within the law at all times. Failure to comply with these instructions will result in their services being terminated."

I'm sure threating to beat the money out of you is considered against the law, they might take action against their own employee, (probably not but couldn't hurt to report him anyway!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Cabaal wrote: »
    NHS is a different system to that of Ireland so you can't compare it when its nothing alike.

Bottom line is if you receive chargable services from the HSE you myust pay for them, why should I and everyone else in the country pay for them and you get them for free?

So while I understand where your coming from it doesn't change reality that a charge is still valid and accordingly must be paid, the HSE is doing nothing illegal by referring a unpaid bill to a debt collections agency.

Of course if the Debt Collection Agency is not handling it very well thats a separate issue altogether.

Didn't mean to infer that the OP should not pay or indeed either you or i shouldn't pay if we went to hospital.

My point is why should they have the right to charge us for what our own tax euros already pay for.

Agreed the HSE is nothing like the NHS unfortunately even though that has its own issues too.

I know, i know, there will be no such thing as free health care for all in my life time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

+ if the OP wanted to get on the radio this is classic Joe Duffy material :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i wouldn't put it past the HSE to have sent him to the wrong house. My stepdad got a letter telling him he needed tests on his heart(nearly gave him heart failure anyway as he hadn't even asked for tests!) turns out that it was sent the wrong person, with a totally different name!

seriously, if that's the case then i'd be even more angry!!getting threatened by a thug when it's not even the right person!ring the HSE or the debt collecion agency and tell them you're considering legal action for threats of GBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Hang on. Lots of people can't afford to pay for their healthcare. Whether they're pensioners, addicts or people who've just fallen on hard times...it's a sad day when we send round thugs to people who are struggling to pay a bill for their health!

I know the OP doesn't think the bill is legit, but I'm just saying.

But f we just assume anyone who doesnt pay on the spot doesnt have it and let them off, why should any of us pay for anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters, please stick to the topic at hand. No divergent discussions on the government or public healthcare

OP, contact Cash Flow Services, and register a complaint about the behaviour of their agent.

Ask for all documentation that they have pertaining to your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

OP, not sure what the actual collection agents are like, but the girls working in the office are lovely!

You need to do 2 things here.
    1. Firstly, contact Cashflow and ask them about the outstanding debt. Ask them why have you not received any letters or phone calls from them in relation to this debt (typically, the heavies are only called in after letters or phone calls go unanswered). There may be a case of mistaken identity?
    2. Secondly, while contacting them, also notify them of their collectors behaviour. It is against their code of practice, and they do try to find that thin line between being polite and courteous while at the same time ensuring that the debtor doesn't think of them as a pushover. It is important that you are honest in your description of events and do not exaggerate as only make them take a defensive stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

The only people in the state legally able to forceably claim money from you are Sheriffs (public servants), and only with a court order.

Anyone calling to your door claiming to be a debt collector threatening you to pay has no right to be there. Tell them to get off your property, make a report about the threatening behaviour to the Guards and deal with the HSE directly if you do owe money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

jor el wrote: »
    Did he have your name right, and did he have any official letters or bills form the HSE? Did you receive any bills from the HSE in the last few months?

It hasn't been 50 euro for A&E admission in years, it was 70 up until last year, and it's now 100.

Don't pay anything until you have an actual bill (that you can confirm) from the HSE. You should contact them yourself, and see if there's anything to it.

It was never €50, it went from €45 to €55 in 2005. If the OP has a GP he/she might have some record of the hospital visit (if there was one) and it could be quicker to get it from them than the HSE. BTW if a GP refers a patient to A & E the charge does not apply, it's only for people who go directly to the hospital.

Just wonder if this debt (if it exists) is say 4 or 5 years old what is the legal position if the debtor was never asked for it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

dudara wrote: »
    Posters, please stick to the topic at hand. No divergent discussions on the government or public healthcare

OP, contact Cash Flow Services, and register a complaint about the behaviour of their agent.

Ask for all documentation that they have pertaining to your case.

+1
    I have gas alot of dealings with cashflow services before(unfortunately:o), and have found them to be easy to approach and to to deal with. I would go with the advice above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

if you did get get a beating from a debt collector that the HSE sent out and you ended up in hospitable would you then get a visit from another debt collector looking for you to pay your second hospitable bill?

Just wondering

Advertisement