Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Issue with newspaper

• 11-05-2009 12:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭

My story:

I was at an event a few weeks back taking photos. I submitted a few of them to the news editor of my local provincial newspaper so that they could use them in the paper if they wished. I never mentioned the words free or frr for use. They printed some of the photos although they changed my caption and removed my name from it.

Anyway, I emailed her to ask about getting paid for them as they had printed some. SHe hasn't replied to the email. I have called her office now twice and she hasn't returned my calls either. I'm not going to get any response from her I would imagine. Now I wasn't comissioned by the paper to cover the event for them but I didn't supply the photos for free either and she knows that.

Anyone have any idea how much a provincial newspaper pays for a printed photo so I can just invoice her? Anyone have any other advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Why did you submit them, put a water mark or a big SAMPLE across the front of them.

If I was on the other end of that email I would have assumed they were free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Tallon wrote: »
    Why did you submit them, put a water mark or a big SAMPLE across the front of them.

If I was on the other end of that email I would have assumed they were free
    Indeed, however taking the photographers name off them and changing the captions was well out of order (imo).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Just send them an invoice. Give details such as the date of the paper, the page the image was on, and what the image was of. Pick your own price, maybe €100. They should have a rate card and they should respond quickly after the invoice.

Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Rb wrote: »
    Indeed, however taking the photographers name off them and changing the captions was well out of order (imo).

I do agree with that, that was bad form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Just out of curiosity, do you have to be a company or have any professional/legal standing to make money from newspapers in this way? I mean, if you issue an invoice, Im assuming you've to pay tax on the money you make on it, no?

Can a non professional punter like myself submit pics and make money without any legal set-up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, do you have to be a company or have any professional/legal standing to make money from newspapers in this way? I mean, if you issue an invoice, Im assuming you've to pay tax on the money you make on it, no?

Can a non professional punter like myself submit pics and make money without any legal set-up?

Anyone can issue an invoice for anything to anybody (it usually helps if they are in receipt of goods or services from you). Any money you make less expenses will be liable for income tax. It happens all the time in all walks of life. Nothing different about a newspaper i'd expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Oh sorry, meant to say to the OP - This comes up regularly on the forum - the search will yield many related threads such as this one which you should find interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Anyone can issue an invoice for anything to anybody (it usually helps if they are in receipt of goods or services from you). Any money you make less expenses will be liable for income tax. It happens all the time in all walks of life. Nothing different about a newspaper i'd expect.

Exactly.

On the subject of selling to newspapers, it is safer to make all the conditions clear at the start and do not, unless it is for a charitable cause, offer any work for free.
    Or so it seems to me, as I spent years writing for a living.
    The photographers were often short-changed, as editors in a hurry grab the first photo to hand.
    It's important to not take this personally, btw.
    Many publications are put out in a frenzy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I have had an issue with papers requesting images from me but expecting them for free, I always decline to be honest as by me submitting pictures for free means that their staff photographer gets less work as they would ecxpect them again. Many local papers refuse to pay. Send an invoice and persist in calling htem. One paper I had an issue with eventually gave me a free advertisement instead of payment of which I received wedding bookings for so it in the end was more valuable.

If you send an invoice you need to do tax returns. I have to do tax returns for last year even though I only registered as a sole trader in August my profit for the month was less than 800, if you are charging for a service you need to pay your fair share of taxes.

In future state that pictures are not for free, that there will be a charge, they will chance their arms on everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

hcnyla wrote: »
    My story:

I was at an event a few weeks back taking photos. I submitted a few of them to the news editor of my local provincial newspaper so that they could use them in the paper if they wished. I never mentioned the words free or frr for use. They printed some of the photos although they changed my caption and removed my name from it.

Anyway, I emailed her to ask about getting paid for them as they had printed some. SHe hasn't replied to the email. I have called her office now twice and she hasn't returned my calls either. I'm not going to get any response from her I would imagine. Now I wasn't comissioned by the paper to cover the event for them but I didn't supply the photos for free either and she knows that.

Anyone have any idea how much a provincial newspaper pays for a printed photo so I can just invoice her? Anyone have any other advice?

Did you expressly say they were not free?

Sending a newspaper a bunch of photographs without caveats or specific license could be seen as granting them a license for use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

charybdis wrote: »
    Did you expressly say they were not free?

Sending a newspaper a bunch of photographs without caveats or specific license could be seen as granting them a license for use.

In the same way, if you didn't say that they were free, then they should expect to pay.

Without expressed terms, they are not free to make any assumptions.

You are well within your right to seek payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Paulw wrote: »
    In the same way, if you didn't say that they were free, then they should expect to pay.

Without expressed terms, they are not free to make any assumptions.

You are well within your right to seek payment.

I agree, that's sort-of what I was saying.

When offering images for publication, I recommend making the terms of use very clear from the outset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I've had similar problems with 2 regional papers (on the west coast - Mayo) - they hired me to cover football games in Dublin (involving teams from Mayo) .... that was in Jan/Feb - I'm still awaiting payment (and its May now !!)

I have supplied their rivals with images as they have paid their bills.

make sure you make a note of the regional paper and if they are stuck for an image or stuck for a photographer you can kindly remind them that they never paid you for "X" images sent and used on this date ..... WHEN they tell you they will pay ask them to put it in an email with the details of job they want you to do.

I have a number of regional papers that I refuse to send stuff to..... its part of the game.

OP.... you can try persue them and attempt to get some money (some regionals pay 10-15euro per pic) ..... or you can chalk it down to a learning curve.... and make sure you keep a note of it for WHEN they need a photo from you. (Karma !!! Life's a b1tch)

Advertisement