Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plants for bad soil

Options
  • 11-05-2009 12:54pm

Hi Im in the lucan area, and the soil we have is very dry.
    Im hoping to find colourful plants that would grow well.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

I had the same - quite ****ty soil that was under paving slabs - I didn't have the time to dig up the lot and do it properly but at the very least I bought a bag or two of good soil - you can get bags of compost / potting stuff for shrubs and beds by john innes that cost about a fiver each - Might be worth getting some moisture retaining compost to deal with the dryness. Dig a hole for the plant you're going to put in about twice the radius of the pot it came in, pour in some of the good soil and use a fork or spade to mix it in with the rest of the soil - then pop your plant in the new hole - it'll grow far better than just sticking it right in. I'd love to have done the entire thing properly and dug all of the soil but I didn't have the time then - would have reaped dividends in the growing of the plants though.

Thanks for that . Ill give the John Innes a try , anything else its just eating up, and turning dry too .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i am using a diy mixture, 1 bag geup, i bag westfield, 1/2 bag of sand, the old saying you spend a quid on a plant then you dig a 20 quid hole, i dig a very large hole 3/4 fill with the mix, place the plant in position, i then add a fistful of organic pelleted chicken manure, then i top up with the mix.

Advertisement