Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demerit Points

Options
  • 11-05-2009 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Just wondering if your caught speeding in australia with an Irish Drivers License, can they put the points on it, or what do they do with it? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

rebel333 wrote: »
    Just wondering if your caught speeding in australia with an Irish Drivers License, can they put the points on it, or what do they do with it? Thanks

i got caught by a camera a few weeks ago 70 in a 60 , letter in the post with an $81 fine - nothing about points though

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

Me too, $142 for doing 81 in a 70 zone in a hired car (Victoria). No mention of points on the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rebel333

It was a speed camera and I was doing 60 in a 50 zone, so an $81 fine in bold, and I thought that was it, but if you ready the smaller print it says once payment has been received, you get 6 (It was a bank holiday, so double point, ouch!) points on your license, so maybe check ye're letters again! So I'm just wondering what they wil do with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Nothing, they cant go on an irish licence

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

It was a speed camera and I was doing 60 in a 50 zone, so an $81 fine in bold, and I thought that was it, but if you ready the smaller print it says once payment has been received, you get 6 (It was a bank holiday, so double point, ouch!) points on your license, so maybe check ye're letters again! So I'm just wondering what they wil do with them?

6 points for doing only 10km over the limit ... you must be rightly p1ssed! Well I suppose thats what happens when you drive around breaking the law.
    Personally I think it a disgrace that the points don't get transfered on to your Irish license...no lesson learned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Norinoco wrote: »
    6 points for doing only 10km over the limit ... you must be rightly p1ssed! Well I suppose thats what happens when you drive around breaking the law.
    Personally I think it a disgrace that the points don't get transfered on to your Irish license...no lesson learned.

Seriously 6 points for a 10k over offence is harsh. I was told the cameras over here allowed up to 10 over. Anyhow any Aussie in Ireland on his own licence wouldn't recieve any of our penalties!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

I actually got 1 point for doing 81 in 70 zone. It was on Easter Monday too, the weekend when there were supposed to be double demerit points, though that may not have been the case down in Victoria.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rebel333

Thanks for your replies! I know I broke the law, but still it was a harsh lesson to learn! at least I don't get the points!

I was only on the road about 15 minutes, doing a favour for my housemate, dropping her "friend" home!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Thanks for your replies! I know I broke the law, but still it was a harsh lesson to learn! at least I don't get the points!

I was only on the road about 15 minutes, doing a favour for my housemate, dropping her "friend" home!! :D:D

How did you not get the points? Dont tell me you convinced a backpacker to take them, now that would be low!

Not sure how long you were "on the road" for is relevant here.

...If you just dropped the "friend" off and went back home then you wouldnt have got the points...it was after you collected your boyfriend you got the points, nothing to do with your housemate!! By the way, your housemate sounds like she's very understanding...cause she would have had to put up with you whinging about these points for flippen ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

• Advertisement
Advertisement