Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog barking torment

Options
  • 11-05-2009 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭

I live in Balbriggan and some people have moved into new houses near me.
    Albeit it is a different estate the back of their house faces out to mine and their dog barks 24/7

All last week when I was off he kept me awake in the mornings and has been barking most days too.
    Last night he was barking at 11am and was still at it at 2am when I finally broke and stuffed my ears with cotton wool.

Has anyone experience of dealing with this issue and did you find anyone in Fingal Council of any help to you ?
    The facts on how to deal with are are minimal on their website.

I will probably call round this evening to chat to them bearing in mind I don't know what kind of people they are I will risk it.

I had to do the same last year and all I got was " he's being trained "
    Quite what for I shall never know.

Anyways - views / opinions / advice welcome.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

First id talk to my neighbours and not prejudge them.
    Then id call Fingal, if they refused to take on board your complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I've got moron dogs/neighbours each side. Bark bark bark 365/24/7. Get used to the xxxers eventually. Stick in headphones. They are not getting exercise enough. <snip> Householder might not be sleeping on the side the dog barks and does not notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Fingal CO Co won't get involved unless you talk to your neighbours first.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Just a word of warning that the mention of harming dogs as a method of resolution will not be tolerated. HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

If they are directly behind you, could you reach them with a water hose? when they are barking you could use it as a deterrent.

With the owners permission of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

JJJJNR - Do not ignore mod warnings in this forum in relation to what is or is not acceptable in a thread. "With the owners permission of course" doesn't circumvent what I said. HB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

good luck suzy - its a crap position to be in.
    I'll watch how you get on.

The owners have got to be completely selfish to
    1. leave their dog out unhappy for so long
    2. be aware that the barking has to be annoying to the neighbours but not care enough to do anything about it.

Do you know what you're going to say to them?

I've got a barker next door to me - it can drive me demented and I get really angry.

I'm waiting for the chance meeting when we see each other so I can mention it casually - because luckily I think they're the type to do something about it.

I wonder what you can do though if your neighbours don't see it as a problem and tell you to put up with it.

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pepperds

Am in very same position - our garden faces another garden where, every night between 10-11pm and every morning at 6am a small dog is let out and barks constantly with a very high pitch.

Forget cotton wool, headphones etc - because it should not be up to me to work around someone elses noise!

I'm not in North County Dublin am in Dublin 5 - I have no interest in going to the owners because a) I don't know them b) what I see of them does not please me and c) they will probably put the dog out more...

Is there an official channel in Dublin City Council that I can go through - have checked dublincity.ie but can't seem to find any route to make an official complaint

Anyone with experience please give any info that you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

pepperds wrote: »
    I'm not in North County Dublin am in Dublin 5 - I have no interest in going to the owners because a) I don't know them b) what I see of them does not please me and c) they will probably put the dog out more...

Is there an official channel in Dublin City Council that I can go through - have checked dublincity.ie but can't seem to find any route to make an official complaint

DCC won't intervene until you approach your neighbours first yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pepperds

Do I need to intervene personally or would a letter suffice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

pepperds wrote: »
    Do I need to intervene personally or would a letter suffice?

I would thread very carefully. You dont lnow your neighbours or what they are like. I would be inclined to drop them a nice note. If you met them out walking you could say something.

I dont think Fingal or D.C.C should be turning their back on you. What you can do is make a complaint to a local rep/councillor. From what I was told you have the right to remain annon, and they are obliged to follow up your complaint.

SuzyS1972. Have you tried the Balbriggan town council? Or drop a note to Fingal Independent. They are good at covering stuff like this. You could then cut out the article and drop it in their letterbox.

Getting a new pup tomorrow, hope he aint a barker:(. I get up at 5.30am but no neighbours on one side so not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Do you live in Castlelands behind the new school by anychance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 b.skytower

I would ring the D.S.P.C.A and tell them your neighbours dog is locked in the garden all day and is going crazy and you think this is cruelty. I dunno, but they might send someone out to inspect. This might scare the neighbours and make them realise somethings got to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭rs

Generally, I don't think the council get involved.

I had this problem once, and ended up taking the dog owner to court. Once we got there, all was sorted. Never heard the dog bark again.

Had to go down to the district court office and summons him (and deliver the summons myself)

Advertisement