Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can you do for fun in Co.Clare?

• 11-05-2009 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I like to throw this question out there "What can someone in there 20's do in co.clare that doesn't envole drink and that doesn't cost a lot of money":cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Take a surfing lesson up in Lahinch, they're great fun

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Go golfing in any of the top class courses.
    Go fishing in any of the top class rivers or lakes or by the coast
    Go surfing
    Go around the burren
    Go around Bunratty Folk Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Surfing in Lahinch
    Horse riding in Doora http://www.clareequestrian.com
    Tae Kwon Do in Ennis/Quinn/Ballyea
    The Hub Cafe in Ennis (it's just off market place)
    Cinema
    Gigs in Glor

LOL at clareman. You're like a tourism bord catalogue with your 'top class' this and 'top class' that. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I do try Blitz, how about spending some time walking around the world renowned Information Age Town. There's a place in Kilfenora you can do clay pigeon shooting as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Clareman wrote: »
    I do try Blitz, how about spending some time walking around the world renowned Information Age Town.

world renowned? hardly, what did the Information Age Award do other than distribute low end computers to households and schools?

They put in fiber optics all over the town, just cause they never used it for anything doesn't mean it wasn't there, they also introduced Visa cash, that was great, pity you couldn't use it anywhere, they also...........

See, World Famous

You kids don't realise now how extensive the whole Information Age Town project was. When it arrived in 1997 it was like you were living in the not too distant future.

Like 1998 say.

Anyway, back to serious suggestions.

How about road bowlin' in Cloughleigh? Ask for Anto.

If you want to see a great opportunity lost cause of the inept people that were put in charge of something and didn't have a clue, then look up the IAT project, I couldn't believe what a collisol (sp.) missed opportunity that was.

Back, kind of serious, there is some road bowlin' that goes on around the place, but I don't know if I would recommend that to anyone :)

Clare has some of the most scenic geographical sites in the world, you hear of people going down the Coast Road in Melbourne, that's not a patch on what's on offer around Clare, if you really want to do something that's non-drink related that won't cost that much, get a couple of bikes and camping gear, point the bikes West, head to the furthest tip west you can, have a look at the dolphins, then point the bikes north, take in the scenery around the place, when you get to Galway head south eastish through the Burren and take a look at the power of nature. You will have a holiday of a life time and it's not too bad of a cycle if you take your time and just enjoy things.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Another good walking website:

http://www.heartofburrenwalks.com/

I know Tony Kirby & can thoroughly recommend his walks!

• Advertisement

The coast road is beautiful on a nice day alright. Often head up to Lahinch for a few hours and end up driving around the whole thing afterwards. There are a few hills there that would probably kill me if I tried to cycle them in my woefully unfit state.

To save further gushing from Clareman I'll just quote the Visit Ennis website.
    Ennis is a truly outstanding town. Undiscovered by many visitors from abroad and other parts of Ireland. You can unwrap the secrets of Ennis by taking a short break with us, at any time of the year.

Ennis, and its environs, boast a wide range of truly original visitor attractions. Lining its narrow, meandering streets is a bewildering variety of fantastic shopping opportunities: unique retail outlets with traditional customer service values. The town is fast gaining a reputation as being 'the boutique capital of Ireland'. The customer service ethos extends to its superb range of hotels, guest houses and restaurants: extending from friendly family-oriented establishments, to something a little more special.

Come inside, and unwrap a secret or two.

Diiiiiiiiiiiscover Ennis (husky female voice and uilleann pipe melodys)

What can I say, I'm proud to be from Clare :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭The Bull O'Shea

Fishing in Broadford or Killaloe
    Swim with the Dolphins in Spanish Point
    kayak thorough the town of ennis
    Visit the Burren and Cliffs of Moher
    Run the Ballyvaughan marathon (full, half or mini)
    Boat trip up the shannon

if you are into something more extreme

Challenge the Travellers to some bare knuckle fighting in Ennis
    Get a little man on man love in the Shannon Knights disco

How about horse riding around Quin, Craganowen is nearby as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bird Man

There is also a clay pigeon club in Doonass, Clonlara, Co. Clare which is 10K from Limerick. Check out the website www.doonassclaypigeonclub.com.

Oh yeah, visit Doolin cave. I really enjoyed it. None of the over the top lighting and naff touristy **** like at Ailwee caves. They have the 2nd(or was it third?) largest stallictite in the world. It's absolutely huge. You've got to fumble about in the dark with a hard hat on in a wet cramped tunnel to get there which is pretty atmospheric. You have to respect the mad bastards who actually found it in the first place.

I've heard of that place, it's susposed to be fantastic, I must try it out, talking to a few lads in the pub, they reckon there are caves around Clare that'll put the Batcave to shame, so maybe Clare will have it's own BannerMan at some stage.

Stuck with that song in my head now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Teadrinker

carly_86 wrote: »
    Hi All

I like to throw this question out there "What can someone in there 20's do in co.clare that doesn't envole drink and that doesn't cost a lot of money":cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Learn to spell?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Teadrinker wrote: »

That's not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭bantee

Teadrinker wrote: »

Jesus you're hilarious. Great contribution to the thread. Like spending time lurking in threads to catch out spelling blunders?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

teadrinker get off the thread if your gonna be like that:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

theres always limerick!!

although in limerick all we do is take day trips to clare!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Scubadiving in Kilkee......... www.oceanlife.ie:)

Oh yeah, I went there a few years ago to do a weeks course learning to dive. Fantastic fun. Must have another go some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭REPSOC1916

Best part about Clare are the roads to Limerick and Galway.

Oh and Hughes and Hughes in Ennis. It's a good bookstore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

REPSOC1916 wrote: »
    Best part about Clare are the roads to Limerick and Galway.

Obviously, the euphoria as you cross over the border into the banner county (Via the Limerick or Galway roads) is second to none!!!

Fishing in clare is great..

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mimich

Stab*City wrote: »
    Fishing in clare is great..

Where would be the best spot for fishing?

I'd like to find a nice place to stay (self catering) for next month for 5 days in Co. Clare. What would be the best for fishing,sufing,walking,Aran Islands,drinking... Doolin? Doonberg? Lahinch? Ballyvaughan? Kilkee?

Thanks for your help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

mimich wrote: »
    Where would be the best spot for fishing?

I'd like to find a nice place to stay (self catering) for next month for 5 days in Co. Clare. What would be the best for fishing,sufing,walking,Aran Islands,drinking... Doolin? Doonberg? Lahinch? Ballyvaughan? Kilkee?

Thanks for your help?

Kilkee would be good for fishing as you can do sea angling off the cliffs west of the town in Dunlicky. Also you could go out in a boat and fish at sea.

Advertisement