Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guidelines for moderators

Options
  • 11-05-2009 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭

Hello there. I notice a large amount of variation with moderators on this site and was just wndering what are the guidelines to becoming a moderator. How are they judged/vetted and upon what basis are they given this power? Do they undergo any sort of proper training to become a moderator.
    i only ask this because all the mods on this site are judging offenses based 100% on personal relevance which seems a bit unfair, especially when I have seen some moderators come across as completely inconsistent when handling bans.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Asmodean wrote: »
    i only ask this because all the mods on this site are judging offenses based 100% on personal relevance which seems a bit unfair.

There are about 500 Mods on this site.
    Now if you are going to make completely wild accusations on all 500 of us, how am I to take you seriously?

You will have to give me links to all the inconsistant bannings in order for me to make any comment on what it is you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Proper training"? You seem to think that boards.ie compensates people for their time and so can pull them away from their daily life to give them formal training.

So, hi, I'm a mod and I'm pretty sure I've never had any dealings with you, therefore you're unqualified to assert that all moderators on this site are doing anything.

Moderators are ordinarily picked because they're good solid posters who are active in the topic(s) being discussed, have usually shown a level head and fair judgement, and overall understand how the site works and why it's moderated at all. These people are usually recommended by an existing moderator, because they're the ones who spot these people.
    Once appointed, they rely on the backup of the existing moderator community to help them figure it out. However, they rarely require this because they understand what's expected of them.

If you have any examples of this apparent inconsistency, and of moderators taking action based on "personal relevance", then please present them. Otherwise any complaint or suggestion of same is completely without merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I am talking about all moderators that I have personally encountered. I can present cases which I will do but generally I was not looking to stir up trouble was just an innocent question, which you have answered. I only implied training because if a moderator is to be given such power over other peoples posts/opinions they should be given proper protocols to follow, not merely the personal tastes, as this leads to trouble that I have seen numerous times. I just think its a bit of an unfair system thats all.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Asmodean wrote: »
    I just think its a bit of an unfair system thats all.

Again.
    Examples?

Advertisement