Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castigating The Tanaiste is not sexist !

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Darsad wrote: »
    I especially like her questioning the merits of having an Obese minister for health which I always found to be a contradiction in terms .
    In that distant and desirable future where cabinet ministers are appointed on the basis of their professional qualification and experience relevant to their portfolio, criticism of the minister for health for being obese will be justifiable. Until then, it's simply ad hominem and pointless.

There's plenty to criticise Mary Harney for. Her weight is as relevant as mine is.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Ad hominem certainly, pointless No ! In the present where ministers are not appointed on merit Harney could as likely end up as minister for sport as any other ministry in a cabinet reshuffle !

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Ad hominem certainly, pointless No ! In the present where ministers are not appointed on merit Harney could as likely end up as minister for sport as any other ministry in a cabinet reshuffle !
    So what? I don't remember Martin Cullen winning any Olympic medals lately.

Once again: it would be nice if we had a political system where competence in a field was a requirement for a ministerial post. It isn't, so no aspect of Harney's health is remotely relevant to her job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Indeed i don't recall any fuss over Cowen as Minister for Health given similar issues (plus smoking!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

this is the paper that constantly now prints the marys got lowerlegs photo and the sunny lucinda creigton photo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 adrem

Carol Hunt demonstrates in that article that in fact it is her that is operating beyond her actual capability. A lot of the anti-Coughlan guff is sexist, as was a lot of the anti-Clinton guff - that is not the same as saying that Clinton didn't get the nomination because of sexism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Ad hominem certainly...

Ad feminem, surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

When I see or more particularly actually hear Mary "gobdaw" coughlan, I don't automatically think ah there is a woman speaking.

First thought is "there is that idiot, who inherited daddy's seat".
    For a moment I actually think, isn't it great that someone with such limited capabilities can rise to such a rank in our government.
    Then I snap out of it and realise that she is depriving some village somewhere of it's village idiot :rolleyes:

Does that make me sexist or am I just insensitive to idiots ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

i once watched mary coughlan speak ( was born on a farm and she was minsiter for ag at time ) at my local mart

they had a platform errected especially for her , she was baschically standing where the heifers run through to be sold :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

On a more basic point, the missing attribute would appear to be competence... on behalf of both.

Coughlan's appointment might have survived scrutiny during the good times, unfortunately when we need substance BC opted for popularity.

Both have proven their incompetence, and the electorate will express their take on it.

The reports emerging from private sector honcho's re meetings with the 2ic are frightening to put it mildly. Put simply, she has zero credibility.

A county councilor promoted would be the best description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Excellent article by Carol Hunt in yesterdays Sindo .
    I especially like her questioning the merits of having an Obese minister for health which I always found to be a contradiction in terms .

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/castigating-the-tanaiste-is-not-sexist-supporting-her-on-gender-grounds-is-1734557.html
    An "excellent article" in the "Independent Woman" section of the Sunday Independent? Surely the very definition of a contradiction in terms.

If there was any evidence that Harney's weight has had any correlation (negative or positive) with her effectiveness during her appointment as Minister for Health and Children, surely Hunt could have produced it. Surprisingly she didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

While we are on this track, shouldn't gynecologists only be female?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭waitingforBB

harney should be judged on her ability and record. Same as coughlan, its not a sexist thing. Both have underperformed and should be judged on that, nothing else. Same as BC.
    Cowen has screwed up royally, Lenihan is a smart bloke but was placed in role where he couldnt coast through as before. Cowen should take responsibility for the situation as he was finance minister when this whole debacle built up.
    Appointing Mary coughlan was just wrong..a misjudgement..

another one

Advertisement