Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log tables question

Options
  • 11-05-2009 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Can anyone remind me what page the formulas for Chain Rule etc etc are on the log tables. I know I know silly question. But its stressing me out and I keep forgetting

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Blarggggh wrote: »
    Can anyone remind me what page the formulas for Chain Rule etc etc are on the log tables. I know I know silly question. But its stressing me out and I keep forgetting

Its around page 42, just before the periodic table of elements. Theres 2 pages of differentiation and integration somewhere round there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Yup it's page 42, but there's no Chain Rule only Product and Quotient Rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Its on the meaning of life and the universe and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

They really to reprint the log tables, I can barely read the formulas for area and volume.
    ^2's and ^3's are just blobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

They are. They're bringing in new log tables, and there will be more angles in radians on page 9 (I actually only worked out how to manually work out the angles the other day... Wish I had new super log tables :o) Dunno about other changes though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Dunno about other changes though!

Chances are, they'll be readable :).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Sure they could get rid of all the actual log tables themselves, what with everyone using calculators nowadays. And I somehow doubt anyone even knows how to use the tables any more (I never learned it at any rate). May as well call them "Formulae Leaflets" now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

The statistical tables are still needed, as most calculators can't do that. Also, the "tables of the elements" are tables.

But yes, it's mostly the formulae that people want them for.

It'd be just as easy to print them (Clearly) on the exam....

Chem? Print the table of elements on the back!

I do however find the milli/nano etc values useful sometimes.

Fad wrote: »

For what? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Taking over the world, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Well, it's useful that they exist as a reference, and also they're used in exams that aren't the LC.

Also it's nice being able to read them when you're finished your exam. >.>

What I need Milli/Nano for? In physics a fair bit, sometimes I'll have a bit of a brainfart and forget 1mm=1x10^-3m (I think it is, and if its not, its too late at night for physics :p)
    Well, it's useful that they exist as a reference, and also they're used in exams that aren't the LC.

Also it's nice being able to read them when you're finished your exam. >.>

Looking up the Irish for Centripetal Acceleration is ALWAYS fun.

Or trying to figure out what the hell the gross majority of the stuff is for!

What I need Milli/Nano for? In physics a fair bit, sometimes I'll have a bit of a brainfart and forget 1mm=1x10^-3m (I think it is, and if its not, its too late at night for physics :p)

Looking up the Irish for Centripetal Acceleration is ALWAYS fun.

Or trying to figure out what the hell the gross majority of the stuff is for!

Heh, I always thought all the rest of the nonsense in there, besides the are & volume stuff, page 9, and page 41 (or 42, whatever it is), were all that you could use. I always assumed the rest was just there from when you used to have to do things in your head! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Well, how else are you supposed to know how many iPod nanos there are in an iPod?

Advertisement