Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refund for flight booked on myair

Options
  • 11-05-2009 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I booked a flight on the horrendously designed website myair.
    On the first of 6 screens it lets you pick the date and doesn't show you the date you've chosen until after you've paid.

Anyway I booked the wrong date (my fauilt) and I'm trying to get a refund.

They said they can give me 13 euros of a refund. I paid 80 euros.

What is it with online airline companies and their ability to rip people off?

Anyone ever had any joy getting a refund from an online airline?

Thanks
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Hold on a second ... you made a mistake (as you admitted), and you now expect a full refund?

Why should they give you a full refund when they did nothing wrong?

Don't blame them, blame yourself for your mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

If I walked into a bricks and mortar store and bought something I could return it no questions asked.

If I bought product online I'm legally protected for a week if I want to back out of a sale.

So why not airline tickets?

mathie wrote: »
    If I walked into a bricks and mortar store and bought something I could return it no questions asked.

Incorrect. They do not have to take it back, unless it's faulty. Many stores will take it back (good will), but they don't have to.
    If I bought product online I'm legally protected for a week if I want to back out of a sale.

A little thing called Terms & Conditions. They give you those before you confirm the booking. It's your choice to read or not read them, but I'll be in there it states the refund (if any) in the event you want to change/cancel your flights.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ah no you can't,
    If you bought something in say a clothes shop and you picked the wrong item the shop has no legal obligation to accept it back,

The shop can however give you a credit note, allow you to swap or refund you as "goodwill" but they do not HAVE to do this.

You clearly don't understand consumer law if you think shops must accept stuff back just because you changed your mind or bought the wrong item

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

National Consumer Agency says T&C's dictate if you get a refund or not
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Flights-and-holidays/
    Q1. I booked a flight to Rome but am no longer able to go. Am I entitled to a refund?

This depends on the terms and conditions of your ticket, which can differ from airline to airline. Many airline tickets are non-refundable.

Other airlines allow you to make changes to your ticket provided you meet certain criteria and pay a change fee.

If you cannot travel and your ticket is non-refundable, you may apply for a refund of relevant taxes, fees and charges. However, the airline may charge you a fee to cover the administration involved. No refund will be issued, where this fee is more than the value of any refund due.

If you have travel insurance you should read the terms and conditions of your policy to see if you could possibly make a claim with your insurance provider.

The NCA is currently examining certain business practices in the airline sector in Ireland, including the issue of refunds, and, in particular, the administration fees for refunds.

We have raised this matter with the major airlines operating in Ireland and hope to achieve compliance on this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Paulw wrote: »
    Hold on a second ... you made a mistake (as you admitted), and you now expect a full refund?

Why should they give you a full refund when they did nothing wrong?

Don't blame them, blame yourself for your mistake.
    OP is claiming that fault was made due to poor website design. While it isn't really his/her fault, I don't think much could be done.

Hi
    On the first of 6 screens it lets you pick the date

Anyway I booked the wrong date (my fauilt)

Seems clear enough to me. OP picked the wrong dates, own fault.

Paulw wrote: »
    Seems clear enough to me. OP picked the wrong dates, own fault.

I'd agree, plus you can't try blame the website and admit liability at the same time that's just stupid :)

Its like saying the road is badly designed but its my fault I crashed the car...so which is it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

The 7 day remorse law doesn't apply to things that have a set date like hotel reservations of plane tickets. The idea is that they've reserved you a spot that they can't sell on because you've booked the time slot so they could end up out of pocket by refusing other people who wanted the slot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I had thought that you might have some comeback under the 7-Day Cooling-off period, but looking at this, it doesn't apply to transportation (and a whole load of other things) and is also defendant on the terms and conditions you agree to.

The crappy website not showing you a summary before you buy may have been a factor, but it's not an excuse. If anything, not seeing a summary before entering payment details should have given you cause to re-check before proceeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Thanks for the input guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I'm sure that this question has been asked in here many times ....

When you buy airline tickets you get shown the breakdown. This includes taxes. It boggles my mind why you aren't entitled to a 100% return of the taxes if you cancel your flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm sure that this question has been asked in here many times ....

When you buy airline tickets you get shown the breakdown. This includes taxes. It boggles my mind why you aren't entitled to a 100% return of the taxes if you cancel your flight?

You are entitled to a refund of your taxes and airport charges. However, most airlines charge a processing fee for the refund, and it's usually so high that it cancels out most of the refund.

Advertisement