Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to review tax arrangements for visiting musicians

Options
  • 11-05-2009 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

I read in the Sunday Business Post that the Government is to review the taxation arrangements for foreign artists performing here. It would seem that these artists do not pay tax on their earnings here. Ireland is one of a 2-3 European countries that does not charge a witholding tax on the amounts earned. The logic was that tax free earnings would encourage artists to perform in Ireland.

One wonders if this is the reason why Ireland is so popular with touring artists and are we going to see an end to this popularity should the tax be introduced?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Toast

Depending on who you ask it will either lower ticket prices here as there won't be any advantage to the artist to charge more or it will just stop artists coming over entirely. People who say the former generally use the UK as an example as they've had it for ages. I don't really think the UK is a good model though considering population and size differences but it is hard to say. Regardless it will probably get passed as the government are desperate for revenues and no one seems to be able to make up their minds if this is a good or bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

A few years back, the top 3 most profitable concerts in the world were all held in Ireland. I haven't seen rankings recently, but I'm sure we still have at least one or two gigs up there.
    I'd actually agree with a tax, the artists are ripping off the Irish public and yet paying nothing into government coffers. It's not that Irish gigs are the most expensive gigs in the world (or the ones I mentioned above... I think they were gigs in Croker..) it's that they're the most profitable, so you can't put it all down to high costs etc.

Tax from large touring artists could go towards encouraging upcoming talent in Ireland (hey, one can but dream)

Advertisement