Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with apartment share - advice appreciated!

Options
  • 11-05-2009 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

At the weekend my flatmate had her sister, brother-in-law and their child staying for 2 nights. I knew they were coming and that was fine. We all have people stay from time to time.

Our apartment is very small, it has 3 small bedrooms which are very close together. The child is about 19 months old and as kids do, woke up extremely early. She was looking for attention from her parents and generally shouting and screeching at them. I would have assumed that one of them would get up and bring her downstairs as they were staying in someone elses flat. The first morning I was awake from about 7 am, as they were in the room next to mine. It went on till about 9 am whereupon I just got up and went downstairs myself.

Sunday morning the same thing happened except it was about 6.15 am. I tolerated it till about 7.30 am but was getting increasingly frustrated at not being able to sleep. I got up and went to the bathroom and definitely banged a few doors on my way there/way back, which in hindsight wasn't the most mature thing to do! However, I had just cut my foot on the side of my bed and was hopping to the bathroom to clean myself up!

Now my flatmate isn't talking to me and I assume it's about this. I am awful with confrontation of any description and have spent all today so far panicking and worrying about it. I would appreciate your thoughts/advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Personally I think you could have behaved a little more understanding.

Yes they should have got up and tended to the child but at the same time it was for 2 days and you knew a small child was coming to stay, if your honest with yourself you probably knew there was the possibility your normal sleep patern would be disrupted.

Why not talk to your housemate. Appologise for the door banging but explain you were frustrated by the child being ingored and the noise as a result.

Remember it would have been the same for your housemate, but as the persons staying were guests he/she put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

Thanks D3PO, I appreciate your response!

Yes, I agree, I think I could have been more understanding. I would also have assumed that normally parents would tend to their children when they are staying in other people's houses? I'm not a parent myself so I don't know, I'm only going on my past experiences.

I agree if It was my child I would have been so aware of my hosts and made sure I tended to the child.

That said its not really your house mates fault and you have to live with them so better to be on good terms :)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

D3PO wrote: »

That said its not really your house mates fault and you have to live with them so better to be on good terms :)

That's what I'm worried about now. She doesn't seem to be speaking to me.

I have exams coming up next week and am also working full-time (including weekends recently) so I suppose I am less patient than I normally would be. I am wondering what the best way to address this is. Obviously I will start by apologising for being short-tempered!

hey were all human. just appologies for the door slamming and explain you were stressed with your exams coming up and what not.

im sure she will understand and appreciate where you were coming from.

• Advertisement
Advertisement