Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volvo Ocean Race- any tips for nautical photos

• 11-05-2009 3:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'll be heading down to the Docks/Salthill, hopefully out on water as well to take some pictures of the Volvo boats....

Anyone have any general tips for taking pics of boats, water etc. that'll help me for the event?
    I have a polarizing filter and my camera has 25X optical zoom.

cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If you are going to post Nautical Photo's then make sure you mark them NSFW! :D

The Polarising Filter is a good idea if you have a bright day. If you are shooting at the longest focal length & will be on the water yourself, you will need to be using quite fast shutter speeds. If the light is low then you may have to take off the polariser as you can lose a couple of stops through it. I am assuming you have a Bridge Camera as you talk about 25x Zoom.

You will also want to consider how to keep spray off the camera. I have a rain bag that goes around the lens & keeps the rest of the camera safe from light rain & spray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

CabanSail wrote: »
    You will also want to consider how to keep spray off the camera. I have a rain bag that goes around the lens & keeps the rest of the camera safe from light rain & spray.

Wont be too much of an issue from the docks unless we get a force 7 gale :P :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'll be heading down to the Docks/Salthill, hopefully out on water as well to take some pictures of the Volvo boats....

That's the bit to which I was referring. :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Hey Cabansail, what rain protection are you using? I've been looking at this:

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Camera-Cleaning---Protection/Hama/Hama-Rain-Protection-Cover

I have a couple of OpTech Rainsleeves which I was given for free. The one you have linked may be a bit better as it will stop some of the drops getting on the front of the lens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

Trying to frame an image on a boat at twenty five times zoom will be next
    to impossible, if there is any swell at all. I wouldn't bother going above X8.

Take a few UV/Skylight filters as the salt in the spary will crystalise on
    the lense fairly quickly. and its a serious pain to clean.

Get our self a floating water proof bag to keep your gear in.

Personally I think that images of yachts look better from the windward
    side on the up wind legs; but that just me, also form this side spray isn't
    as bad. The down wind leg colourful as they hoist the spinnakers which
    are generally pretty jazzy

If your shooting the inshore races the majority of the action will take
    place on the start line and at the turns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

If you want some inspiration here's some great photos from the Ocean Race:
    http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/05/the_volvo_ocean_race.html

Also as muuuuuch as I'd like to keep it quiet and increase my chances :o .... Fahy Foto are running a Photographic Competition to capture the "Spirit and Atmosphere" of the stopover in Galway. The prize is a Nikon D-60VR with 18-55 kit lens. More info here.

9 days and counting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

A bit late but might be useful for anyone for next weekends departure.
    It was fairly flat and not windy yesterday but because of all the spectator and media boats it was a nightmare trying to keep the camera steady - I was shooting above 1/800 - 1/1000 to get still images - Gallery Here

Spray is an issue even on the calmest of days with so many boats around.
    Even on a media boat you will need minimum of 300mm and if you are spectator boat you will need 300 and an extender with a mono-pod. DON"T forget the sun cream and a bottle of water!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TheWealth

Good advice...sorry I missed the event

Advertisement