Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to get to connemara

Options
  • 11-05-2009 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Its supposed to be a scorcher next weekend so me and oh are heading west! now, can i get to connemara from salthill or do i pass the hospital instead as if heading to cliften, where would i end up if i went past salthill, i always thought that was the way to connemara, ah its such a great part of the country!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You can head out from Salthill, or go the Headford/Cong way which would also have nice scenery. It's not really that big an area though and I don't think you'll end up all that lost. Just wing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

You can go either way...

1) Keep going out the Coast Road at Salthill, you'll end up at Rosaveel, you can follow the main road and go to Cashla/Carna etc. and turn off for Clifden/Connemara

2) Out the Oughterard Road and end up at Maam Cross, keep going on to Clifden

Personally i'd do it in a big circle so you see the lot, but start out on Oughterard road, much nicer scenery

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Where abouts are you looking to go? The coast road through Cois Fharraige (Spiddal, Inverin, Rosaveel) or north (Moycullen, Oughterard, Clifden)

If you had the whole day you could do the roundtrip and hit Roundstone and Dog's Bay.

Check out google maps.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

JohnCleary wrote: »
    You can go either way...

1) Keep going out the Coast Road at Salthill, you'll end up at Rosaveel, you can follow the main road and go to Cashla/Carna etc. and turn off for Clifden/Connemara

2) Out the Oughterard Road and end up at Maam Cross, keep going on to Clifden

Personally i'd do it in a big circle so you see the lot, but start out on Oughterard road, much nicer scenery

:D

Great Minds Cleary.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    :D

Great Minds Cleary.

What can I say... you ate my brains :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭snowy2008

ive the whole day, is it sign posted well, im from galway but lived in dubklin years and years so have kinda forgotten my way but my fella is a dub and is just dying to see connemara coz it really is that spectacular, so folks, where will i start? :) thanks for all the comments!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

From AA Route Planner

(Km) and then
    to take total (Km)
    0.0 Start out on Eyre Square Shopping Centre,Galway R336 0.0

0.0 Bear left onto Williams Gate Uncl. 0.0

0.1 Turn right onto Eglinton Street Uncl. 0.1

0.2 Continue forward onto Saint Francis Street Uncl. 0.3

0.1 At traffic signals turn left onto St Vincent's Avenue (signposted University College) Uncl. 0.4

0.1 Turn left onto University Road Uncl. 0.5

0.1 Cross Salmon Weir Bridge Uncl. 0.6

0.5 At traffic signals turn right onto Lower Newcastle Road (signposted Clifden N59) Uncl. 1.1

0.6 At traffic signals continue forward onto Upper Newcastle Road - N59 N59 1.7

10.3 Continue forward onto the N59 Entering Moycullen N59 12.0

14.5 Continue forward onto the N59 Entering Oughterard N59 26.5

31.9 Turn right onto the R344 R344 58.4

7.5 Inagh Valley R344 65.9

8.0 Turn left onto the N59 N59 73.9

0.6 Kylemore Lough N59 74.4

4.2 Turn left Uncl. 78.7

0.2 Finish at Connemara National Park,Galway Uncl. 78.9

teresa2008 wrote: »
    ive the whole day, is it sign posted well, im from galway but lived in dubklin years and years so have kinda forgotten my way but my fella is a dub and is just dying to see connemara coz it really is that spectacular, so folks, where will i start? :) thanks for all the comments!

Look at Google Maps and make your own plans. Personally i'd take a right at Maam Cross (From Oughterard), head for Maam Bridge. Then onto Leenaun, then through Connemara national forest park, into Clifden, back by Roundstone etc....

Best thing about that part of the world is that you can never get too lost tbh... just keep driving and see where you end up... eventually you'll be back on the main road to Galway

Or if you had the whole day then go out the Headford Road => Cong, stop off at Ashford Castle and go for a walk in the woods, then down the Pigeon Hole. Then onto Coor na Mona and you'll end up at Maam Bridge, then keep going straight to Leenaun... depends on how energetic you are I guess

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Pint and a toastie in Joe Keane's.

It has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

teresa2008 wrote: »
    Do not trust sign post in Galway. Ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The forcast for this weekend is dire !

Discodog wrote: »
    The forcast for this weekend is dire !

Good! I hope it rains for the next 2 weeks :D (exams)

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Good! I hope it rains for the next 2 weeks :D (exams)

so its true repeating you leaving cert cleary ....

3fullback wrote: »
    so its true repeating you leaving cert cleary ....

Studying for the oul' entrance exam, actually :P

Studying for the oul' entrance exam, actually :P

well good luck i hear its tough getting into moneenageisha

Moneen? I wish! :pac:

Moneen? I wish! :pac:

youth ridge it is then

youth ridge it is then

Youth Ridge? Sounds like a summer camp in the forest

Think you should have stayed in school a little longer there, little Johnny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Jesus that was good in fairness :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Youth Ridge? Sounds like a summer camp in the forest

Think you should have stayed in school a little longer there, little Johnny
    Loughan House tbh.

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote: »
    Loughan House tbh.

Can't think of a better place to spend the weekend than in the North West :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭yourmano

I think it's really wrong to slag off that school, most of my friends went there. I'm the fool repeating my Irish, they are finishing masters and PhDs. Just cos they take everyone and are not snobby and selective. I really think ye are very very wrong, one of their teachers were nominated Teacher of the Year last year and they have loads of fantastic opportunities for children with difficulties aswell as extra classes for the gifted. How do I know? I did a cookery night class there last year, never as impressed in all my life. Look at other schools and wonder how they keep results high, by keeping the weak and not so affluent out.

yourmano wrote: »
    I think it's really wrong to slag off that school, most of my friends went there. I'm the fool repeating my Irish, they are finishing masters and PhDs. Just cos they take everyone and are not snobby and selective. I really think ye are very very wrong, one of their teachers were nominated Teacher of the Year last year and they have loads of fantastic opportunities for children with difficulties aswell as extra classes for the gifted. How do I know? I did a cookery night class there last year, never as impressed in all my life. Look at other schools and wonder how they keep results high, by keeping the weak and not so affluent out.

'ye' ??

It was only one person that made reference to the place in a slagging manor, take it up with them

(Best thread drift ever btw, we should get an award for this)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

(Best thread drift ever btw, we should get an award for this)

I agree. You win one Intercert.
    yourmano wrote: »
    one of their teachers were nominated Teacher of the Year last year

I heard about that. This the guy?

He reached the kids.

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Woah, slow down there buddy. I said ENTRANCE EXAM, nothing about Intercert.

BTW lulz on you showing your old age... 'intercert' :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Welcome to 2009

Advertisement