Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday - Right to Vote

Options
  • 11-05-2009 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Am really disappointed to find out that I am unable to use the postal vote system for the local elections. Will be away at a family wedding - apparently this can only be used if you are a garda, army etc or travel for business - I wonder what % of people lose their vote for this reason? A June voting day would surely exclude alot of people.:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

amtaxi wrote: »
    Am really disappointed to find out that I am unable to use the postal vote system for the local elections. Will be away at a family wedding - apparently this can only be used if you are a garda, army etc or travel for business - I wonder what % of people lose their vote for this reason? A June voting day would surely exclude alot of people.:(

If the people who were here actually bothered their toady arses in the first place, the percentage of people temporarily abroad would be meaningless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A June voting day would surely exclude alot of people.:(

So when will you have it, you'll never satisfy everyone.
    If it was in May, the students would complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

mikemac wrote: »
    So when will you have it, you'll never satisfy everyone.
    If it was in May, the students would complain.

I just feel that everyone who is entitled to vote should be accommodated if they are going to be out of the country - I have always voted and am disappointed that I cannot - its not the date that really bothers me as such, but I am sure there are many people in the same situation as myself, especially as it's the first week traditionally of the summer hols.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Totally agree, I have made enquiries too and have been told that I would be allowed to vote if I was out of the country on business but not as I will be away on holidays.
    How does that make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

A June voting day would surely exclude alot of people.:(
    Perhaps, but they've been held in June since 1979 so it's not as though it moves or is secret. The 2014 Euro elections will be held in June.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Isn't the reason the general election's held on a thursday is so that students can't vote ? or something similar.

If you're voting Fianna Fail sure ye won't be away anyways. You'll be at home in the motherland doing all the republican goodiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Dont worry not many I will vote Fianna Fail for you.

Enjoy the hoilday.

Dont worry not many I will vote Fianna Fail for you.

Enjoy the hoilday.

AH! Never said I'd vote Fianna Fail!:D My point is that I feel for those who are out of the country for whatever reason should have the option of the postal vote if they wish to vote!

AH! Never said I'd vote Fianna Fail!:D My point is that I feel for those who are out of the country for whatever reason should have the option of the postal vote if they wish to vote!

Agree was only kidding. If you going to bother to vote the right should be put there especially considering they can pre vote with Islanders.

Its prob a case of is there a viable advantage or disadvantage

It would be an interesting stat considering its june!

The one i find funny is sometimes canidates run, dont live in the area so cant vote for themselves!

or another if Fianna Gael run 60 canidates and labor 5 you can bet the FG canidates will vote for themselves so by default they are 55 votes ahead.

In politics size really matters!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Isn't the reason the general election's held on a thursday is so that students can't vote ? or something similar.

I'd imagine that's a myth perpetuated by students. No week day would suit students who choose not to re-register their voting location while they're living away from home. Anwyay afaik they're eligible for the postal vote.

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    I'd imagine that's a myth perpetuated by students. No week day would suit students who choose not to re-register their voting location while they're living away from home. Anwyay afaik they're eligible for the postal vote.

I remember when I was in college Sinn Fein was pushing for a saturday vote to allow for students going home at the weekend. I thought it a sensable idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Saturday vote wouldn't come in because it would have a negative impact on the two main parties. Similar to expand the PR Constituencies to 6,7,8 seaters which I think should happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Haha, probably why that date was picked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

And they say democracy is fair and just and the best thing we've ever had.

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    And they say democracy is fair and just and the best thing we've ever had.

Of course democracy is fair - it's just our system that's not i.e. if you're away for business you can use the postal vote system - but god forbid any of us might be away for pleasure!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Of course democracy is fair - it's just our system that's not i.e. if you're away for business you can use the postal vote system - but god forbid any of us might be away for pleasure!!:rolleyes:

How is the Returning Officer to know if you are away for business rather than pleasure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

How is the Returning Officer to know if you are away for business rather than pleasure?

I'm registered as a postal voter as I work out of country a lot. I needed a letter from my employer confirming my employment circumstances and my employer needed to sign a declaration. My employer is based in America and they thought it was quaint that Ireland is still not really in the 21st century.

If you are self employed you need to sign a declaration witnessed by a peace commissioner or a Commissioner for Oaths.

Unfortunately its quite strict and I was lucky to make the list.

Advertisement