Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista TCP/IP

Options
  • 11-05-2009 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭

Vista is wrecking my head, and I've no idea what is going wrong. A reboot gets me going again though.

What happens - working as normal (browsing, email, MSN, etc). All of a sudden, it seems like TCP/IP stops working, partially and then totally. Sounds weird??? Oh yeah. Normally, the browser stops first - can't contact website. This would be the same, no matter what browser I use -IE8, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Sometimes, email stops working - can't connect to POP/SMTP servers.

Normally the last function to stop working would be a chat client - MSN or Yahoo messenger.

I then reboot the machine, and everything works again.

It's only my desktop. I can have other clients on the network which don't have the problem. So, I know it's not my internet connection.

It's not my firewall nor anti-virus, since I have tried disabling them (separately and together) with no different result.

The problem can happen twice in an hour, or might not happen for 2-3 days, but generally happens once a day (different times).

Anyone got any ideas, or things I can investigate???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Power management
    DNS
    ARP cache

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

No power management issues. The problem normally happens when the machine is in use. It seldom happens when the machine is idle. Machine is set to sleep after 4 hours.

DNS is static, using fixed DNS servers. The errors I get back don't give DNS failure, but rather that the node cannot be contacted.

I don't have any static arp entries on my machine. There are times when I can't get a website through one browser, but can through another (until that then also stops working).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Do you have power management enabled for the network card in it's properties in network in control panel ?

What power level is set in the BIOS ?

Most importantly do you have service pack 1 installed on vista ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

As above...
    Do you have Vista service pack 1 installed on the PC?

Pre-SP1 I saw this on two laptops, problem disappeared after applying the service pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

SP1 is installed, and Vista is full patched to date.

No power management enabled in the BIOS.

Power management is disabled in the control panel for the NIC.

It would make some sense if the problems happened when the machine was idle (go to sleep, power management, or similar), but the problem happens mostly while the machine is in active use.

Thanks for the thoughts though. It's damn frustrating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement