Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you help me please?

• 11-05-2009 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

I'm learning the piano.
    I was learning Fur Elise and Canon in D
    but suddenly, I got a pain on right down of my baby finger nail.
    You see there's a bone on it.
    Whenever I try to play the C to C keys together,
    I feel pain on that spot.

Actually, I think it's from the poor posture
    of my hands on piano so currently,I'm not
    playing my piano.
    Also I think it's from so many octave accompaniment in Canon variation.

I've been waiting for a week without playing the piano.
    I didn't feel any pain on it so I played the piano
    yesterday for 30 mins again and
    I got the pain back straight ahead.

What should I do for healing my poor finger?:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 xXxMUSICGURUxXx

Hey there!Have u tried doing hand exercises/ warmups before playing?I had a similar problem to you a wile ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Im not too familiar with playing Piano so I'm not too sure about how far the hand positions can put strain on your fingers, but it is possible that it's just pain from your finger not being used to the constant use in that position.

For example I play guitar and, as Im sure anyone else who plays can confirm, your fingering hand can hurt alot when starting out and the only way to stop it is to gradually build your hand through this and not to strain it.

My advice is to keep playing and when you feel the pain rest, but begin playing again at a later stage, maybe a couple of hours maybe the next day depending.

It's also possible that there is something wrong with your finger, but I doubt it.

In either case, hand warm up excercises are advisable as they help with building up the tolerance and also help prevent the strain.

If you are worried about your finger just get it checked out, there's no harm in that.

Anyway, good luck and I hope your hand is ok. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭frany

Hey there!Have u tried doing hand exercises/ warmups before playing?I had a similar problem to you a wile ago

Yes I used to play Hanon as fingers exercise before but recently, I stopped and just kept practicing Canon in D only. Do you think it might be from without hand exercise? Yes actually,it's quite possible. Thanks for your help!

A7X wrote: »

My advice is to keep playing and when you feel the pain rest, but begin playing again at a later stage, maybe a couple of hours maybe the next day depending.

It's also possible that there is something wrong with your finger, but I doubt it.

In either case, hand warm up excercise are advisable as they help with building up the tolerance and also help prevent the strain.

If you are worried about your finger just get it checked out, there's no harm in that.

Anyway, good luck and I hope your hand is ok. :)

Thanks for your advice!
    Yes it's also possible because I started to play the piano again since 20 years. Should I take a personal piano lesson?
    Will it help my finger practice as well?

Yes I think it's a strain.Will it help wrapping my finger with an elastic bandage for protection?
    I appreciate with your great help!:)

The blue spot is the place I feel pain.
    It feels like a pressing pain.
    You can feel hard thing on that spot like a bone or a joint?
    I don't feel pain when I type on keyboard.
    But you know my piano keys are quite heavy, Roland HP201.
    I feel pain when I press keys.

Should I have to go to see a doctor?
    Will it be good to get a physical therapy?
    I really can't wait the time I can go back to my piano.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

frany wrote: »
    The blue spot is the place I feel pain.
    It feels like a pressing pain.
    You can feel hard thing on that spot like a bone or a joint?
    I don't feel pain when I type on keyboard.
    But you know my piano keys are quite heavy, Roland HP201.
    I feel pain when I press keys.

Should I have to go to see a doctor?
    Will it be good to get a physical therapy?
    I really can't wait the time I can go back to my piano.

I got a pain all along that exact muscle when I started stretching my hand as far as I could while playing and that muscle is rock hard now but don't know if that's what you are describing.

Anyway, If the pain does not go away, like it did for me after a while, just go get it checked out for the piece of mind.

Advertisement