Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2 3G BB - running an web app ....

• 11-05-2009 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am trying to run a web application on my home pc which is connected to the internet using a o2 3G BB connection....

I have switched off the windows firewall but can seem to connect(or ping) to the machine from other machines on the internet...

Typically the connection times out ....

I am using the dynamic ip address which is allocated when the modem connects...

Any ideas what might be wrong ?

(PS. I know I should be a static ip address or buy a hosted web account - but just trying to test something out quickly...)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If you're using another O2 modem when out and about then it won't connect as O2 modems cannot make direct connections with other O2 modems - just in case this is what you're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

What application are you trying to set up. You should be able to check if the service is available to the Internet by using a port scanner, something like Shields Up. http://www.grc.com/intro.htm

I use this to test smtp, ftp, webs, Remote Desktop Connections services etc etc are available.

A quick test would be to download FileZilla server on your PC, then run the port scanner, and port 21 should be open. If for some reason the port should show up as blocked, it may be the case that o2 do not allow you to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 fischer

All the 3G providers in Ireland firewall their 3G ip pools to prevent people incurring large bills from unsolicitated traffic from the internet. So its not your firewall thats causing the problem - its o2's.

You can either use a service like AccessMyLan from o2, get a fixed IP, non-firewalled SIM from someone like Wireless Logic [www.wirelesslogic.co.uk] or try to originate and maintain a session from the 3G modem to the other machine that you can then use as a data channel.

Fischer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The best solution is get real Broadband. (Fixed Wireless, Fibre, Cable (TV optional) or DSL/Phone line)

Mobile is designed for Mobile use. It's never going to work well for what you want.

Advertisement