Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help in preparing cold buffet?

Options
  • 11-05-2009 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭

Right, i have to prepare a cold buffet for 70/80 people in a pub. I have no idea what it will cost or what i will need. Just a basic cold meat buffet really, nothing too extravagant. Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I was at one over the weekend and they had a giant baked ham, Spanish omlette cut up into slices, a few giant soda breads that some lovely person had baked and brought with them, cheeses, smoked salmon, olives, hummus and other dips and a few big salads (brocolli with feta and toasted hazelnuts). Was really lovely and relatively stress free for them to prepare. Think there were about 30 or 40 ppl there but would say you could do it on a bigger scale too

Oh- and cocktails sausages, no one can resist a cocktail sausage!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

Do you have a Musgrave card? If yes I can tell you what you need to buy! And are you a Chef? Cheers Oliver

• Registered Users Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

avoid :

Coleslaw, potato salad (unless homemade and chunky), cheap ham, factory cheddar

The food described Missflit sounds lovely.
    Hummus rocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Pasta salads - you can boil up the pasta the day before and rinse it in cold water and bag it.
    Potato salads - boil the day before too, cut em chunky and only make up just before you're eating.
    Roasted veg cous-cous - roast the veg the day before and bag it.
    Chicken thighs/legs - cook in the oven until done then pop on the BBQ for about 5 mins each side to get the BBQ flavour. Then let them go cold, these are a big hit and they taste even better the next day.

Talk to your butcher about cold cuts and get a load of bread from Superquinn (if you can!). A whole steamed salmon is also good, you could make up a marie rose sauce for the side.

You can get veg, pasta, potatoes etc on the cheap in Aldi/Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Oh yeah, forgot to add pasta salad to the list of things to avoid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

Right, i have to prepare a cold buffet for 70/80 people in a pub. I have no idea what it will cost or what i will need. Just a basic cold meat buffet really, nothing too extravagant. Any suggestions appreciated.

ask your mother!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

holly8 wrote: »
    ask your mother!!!
    Wonderful advice indeed - and timely!

Advertisement