Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

any plans to NCT bikes?

• 11-05-2009 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I was thinking about this over the weekend. Does anyone know if it was ever proposed or even if it would be a good idea to NCT bikes ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭bladespin

Yes it was discussed, the RSA mention it in their safety action plan, implementing it would be a nightmare due to a shortage of qualified testers and the equipment it would require would make costs soar, not worth it for such a small number of vehicles.
    That added to the fact that there was no statistical link to motorcycle condition and a single accident last year might make it pointless.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I'd say it would be implemented on a very basic level,like the doe (test brakes and susspension, emissions) like trucks anything more would cost a fortune to implement..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

No harm, lost a mate last March when he came off a crock of sh*t

The majority of Bikers look after their machines, ie make sure there is meat on the tyres, correct chain tension, good suspension etc, unfortunitally there are those that couldn't be ar*ed lookiing after their bikes. These are the few that will bring it in for the rest of us. The only thing I would have against NCT is if it becomes a scam and an extra revenue source just like in the motor trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

It would be used to get rid of older bikes, 2 strokes, aftermarket parts/exhausts and to generate revenue rather than to promote safety so it would be a bad idea IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    It would be used to get rid of older bikes, 2 strokes, aftermarket parts/exhausts and to generate revenue rather than to promote safety so it would be a bad idea IMO.
    not necessary, depending on age, like cars the system will accomodate for classics such as strokers and old thumpers with loud original pipes. The majority of those with classics look after them.

I have a vintage BSA which causes a stir when im stopped by the law, there's no rear brake light, no indicators, candle light headlamp, very loud pipe etc. They cannot force anyone to "modify" a bike to suit to_days conditions. It may put a lot of street fighters off the road, ie 7/11's, non roadworthy pipes, frame modifications etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Hi Guys,

I was thinking about this over the weekend. Does anyone know if it was ever proposed or even if it would be a good idea to NCT bikes ?

Though it might sort out the occasional dodgy bike , things like chains, shocks , etc etc things can/will wear out in the meantime.

Examples of stuff

NEW bike - casting flash caused gearbox to lock up.

Tidy,newish bike - crack in < a component of crap-anti-hotwire system> , hard to find , very nearly caused crashes a few times

Gearbox lockups ( slightly low oil level , plastic caged bearings ) - no point pulling in the clutch btw.

Crap design - Oil over back tyre episodes

Crap design/manufacturing - internal pin in steering damper failure

Both front discs removed to get them skimmed or something - RIP , was sadly fatal

Suspension linkage failure - just before bike was used

Front brake master seal failure

Crack in headstock bearings - occasional wobble

Crap design - chain adjuster failure

NCT type test wouldn't really help any of these

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

NCT test should be for courriers and the absolute sh!theaps that they tend to drive.

Broken indicators hanging off or completely missing,no mirrors,broken rear lights and brake lights not working.Also large luggage box only being held on with 1 bungey cord and ready to fall off the back,as its hanging off that bad.

I HATE courriers with bikes like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

paddy147 wrote: »
    NCT test should be for courriers and the absolute sh!theaps that they tend to drive.

Broken indicators hanging off or completely missing,no mirrors,broken rear lights and brake lights not working.Also large luggage box only being held on with 1 bungey cord and ready to fall off the back,as its hanging off that bad.

I HATE courriers with bikes like this.

Savage point that , if you are using the bike for hire/reward/courier/whatever you call it , quick n simple check every few months.

Advertisement