Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Photography

Options
  • 11-05-2009 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Did a wedding there last week, bride & groom turned out great, no blown highlights which I was dreading with the white dress & metering against huge stained glass windows in the background etc (remote SB900 helped a lot), and the novelty of pretty much running riot on the alter during mass was great :D

Mucho problems with the family shots / old-timers in particular though, basically the grooms mother is as rough as a bag of nails and probably thinks/expects to look like Cinderella in the pics, what to do? photoshop the crap out of her (could get loads more work) or state the camera never lies and let her goanshyte ? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

state the camera never lies : YES :D:P

photoshop the crap out of her : mmmm.......tempting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Let the pictures be....we are what we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Photoshop this image in....
    Cinderella.jpg

....lol. But really, just leave it, thats what she looks like

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Let the pictures be....we are what we are.

No .... The whole Wedding Industry is built on Fantasy not Reality.

I recall a slogan from many moons ago "Reality is only an illusion caused by a lack of Drugs"

Consult with the clients & ask them. If you can take a few years (decades) off the old war horse then she will be pleased. Just beware that you have to do it in every shot she appears to the same extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

Hi Biker,

My advice is to concentrate on the bride and groom and maybe then the wedding party. I'd be very surprised if the MOG looking "as rough as a bag of nails" is raised, unless she's a lovely looking woman in the flesh.

I'm curious though how photoshoping the mother of the groom could translate into loads more work for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Leave it be really. I run all my wedding pics through paint shop and do a script of sharpening and skin smoothing, even just a slight skin smoothing makes a difference, ok it may be time consuming but you're getting paid to do a job, may as well do it well, I think when used right the skin smoothing tool works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Do a minor touch up, especially in any formals, but don't work wonders. Do whatever you feel you were paid to do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I have not tried this program, but it looks useful:

http://www.portraitprofessional.com/

There is a free trial offer.

Although it is a program to cut down on noise and grain,
    Neat Image might be helpful. I tried it at Christmas and it certainly gave smooth effects, though it's easy to overdo it.

I found it a bit tricky to use, but this explains how it works.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58625812&postcount=25

(I was recently a MOG. Your problem is quite scary...)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Id say do some minor work but as said focus on the main people ie. the people getting married.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Always make sure your concentration is kept on the Bride and Groom, no one is really looking at the rest of the family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

I am with Fajitas & smelltheglove on this.

Minor edits for the mom might be required but don't go overboard

Eirebear wrote: »
    Always make sure your concentration is kept on the Bride and Groom, no one is really looking at the rest of the family.

On the wedding day this is true.
    However, people make such superhuman efforts to look well for the happy couple that they deserve to be photographed in a kind light. The wedding album is brought out for months after the event and I have been at family gatherings where everything from the photographer's personality to the colour of a second cousin's (twice removed) shoes have been discussed at length.

The OP has really brought up an enjoyable aspect of wedding photography. It is pure theatre and recorded for posterity.

Perhaps this would be of use, as it is not only the aged (I know, our craggy looks call out for candid camera treatment), but teenagers, who may need a little cosmetic help:

http://searchwarp.com/swa290631.htm

Having taken amateur photos at a wedding in February I know all the really difficult aspects of this important job. I was even asked to give an account of some of the photos at a party some weeks later, as they were not as flattering as they might have been.

It is one of the most interesting areas of photography and you obviously enjoy it a lot.

. I run all my wedding pics through paint shop and do a script of sharpening and skin smoothing, even just a slight skin smoothing makes a difference, ok it may be time consuming but you're getting paid to do a job, may as well do it well, I think when used right the skin smoothing tool works a treat.

This caught my attention. Besides Neat Image, which cures noise, are there any freeware programs that could be useful for skin smoothing?

There are some useful tips here:

http://www.all-things-photography.com/processing-wedding-photographs.html

I have nice photos of older people and would like to soften wrinkles in post processing. The fault lies in having used a direct in-camera flash, but since the situation was impromptu and not set up, I had to make the best of what I had at the time.

Anouilh wrote: »
    This caught my attention. Besides Neat Image, which cures noise, are there any freeware programs that could be useful for skin smoothing?

There are some useful tips here:

http://www.all-things-photography.com/processing-wedding-photographs.html

I have nice photos of older people and would like to soften wrinkles in post processing. The fault lies in having used a direct in-camera flash, but since the situation was impromptu and not set up, I had to make the best of what I had at the time.

I am not sure of the free programs to be honest as I have used corel since I very first got a computer and they released paint and photo shop I have always upgraded as I go along, however it is very very cheap in comparison to photoshop costing around 180 in the stores. I use paint shop x2.

I use this in conjunction with photoshop though, I do the raw tweaking in photoshop and then go into paint shop and run my scripts. I can have a full wedding completed in 2 days by doing this. (non stop work though)

If I feel a photo is near perfection I will do a skin smoothing method in photoshop which is quite simple really. I use the bur tool rather than the soften tool to smooth the skin, the percentage depends on the skin but I'd begin at around 50 and figure out if I need more or less from that.

If you have a free program that contains a blur tool then you're all go. The difference though is if you have 5 people in a picture the skin smoothing will do this and you sit back and wait, if you do by blur it could be time consuming to get the same results.

Hope this helps.

Excellent advice, thank you. I have just downloaded Photofiltre, which was my favourite freeware program a few years ago. If it gives good results, I'll start a new thread.

Also, an old Corel program has a "despeckle" feature which makes a sort of Gaussian blur smoothing effect.

I have to revise all this, as its some time since I used these filters and effects.

Apparently a good programmer can make their own smoothing filters, which would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

If you have photoshop have a look at Guy Gowans methods to reduce lines/hotspots, much simpler to do than any other method. Wedding shots completed in 6-7 hours.

I hope you charging for two days Rachael :)

Borderfox wrote: »
    If you have photoshop have a look at Guy Gowans methods to reduce lines/hotspots, much simpler to do than any other method. Wedding shots completed in 6-7 hours.

I hope you charging for two days Rachael :)

Prices gone up recently! No longer a cheap skate here! I spend 2 days going through around 400 shots to ensure perfection, also I spend time running around a 2 year old also alongside that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Prices going up is a bad thing at the moment :(

I have simplified my workflow by a huge amount and kept prices static

Borderfox wrote: »
    Prices going up is a bad thing at the moment :(

I have simplified my workflow by a huge amount and kept prices static

My price gone up is still waaay less than the average, just means that going by hours spent on meetings, work and edits I get roughly minimum wage now! I feel privelleged! (is that how you spell it?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 SC22

My wedding photographer has gone AWOL and our wedding photographs are still on her web page (Unfortunately she was paid in full). Have tried everything to try and locate her but no joy. Does anyone know if there is any possible way to retrive them from her web page?

• Advertisement

My wedding photographer has gone AWOL and our wedding photographs are still on her web page (Unfortunately she was paid in full). Have tried everything to try and locate her but no joy. Does anyone know if there is any possible way to retrive them from her web page?

SC22 wrote: »

Sorry to hear that. How have you tried to contact her? Have you any details of her insurer?

I'm afraid it is copyright infringement taking images from the website and doubt anyone here will tell you how never mind the fact that they would be low res images which would be virtually unuseable. I wouldnt ask you to name here but maybe pm me her name and if I know this person I can try contact her for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

Unfortunately, you can only retrieve them at whatever the maximum size you can view them. <snip>

I'm afraid it is copyright infringement taking images from the website and doubt anyone here will tell you how never mind

Technically it might be copyright infringement - but if they are the only copy you get of the photos you've paid for - I think you might have a good case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Even though I absolutely feel your pain and understand completely your plight, technically, I expect it would be illegal to remove them from their web page unless you have their express permission to do so. You must persist to make contact because even if they are no longer in the land of the living, their estate will hold the legal ownership of their images (including your wedding photographs).

Had a similar experience many years ago on a brother in law's wedding where photographer went awol having given small proofs - album never materialised - twas the days of film and nothing to be done. It was never received.

Sorry.

Cameraman wrote: »
    Technically it might be copyright infringement - but if they are the only copy you get of the photos you've paid for - I think you might have a good case.

But you are assuming the op has as said paid in full for the images....

Op no disrespect to you at all whatsoever, just in my experience I have come across brides withholding final payment before. Now I am not saying you are lying, but I dont know you from Adam so I wouldnt be playing any part in helping you obtain images from the website as it is copyright infringement and in my case as is with many, contract declares that copyright is held by the photographer until final payment has been received.

Tommy this is a double post also in another thread below, maybe you could merge the tow. so there is no confusion.

But you are assuming the op has as said paid in full for the images....

Op no disrespect to you at all whatsoever, just in my experience I have come across brides withholding final payment before. Now I am not saying you are lying, but I dont know you from Adam so I wouldnt be playing any part in helping you obtain images from the website as it is copyright infringement and in my case as is with many, contract declares that copyright is held by the photographer until final payment has been received.

Yes - of course you're right there - I was giving the OP full benefit of the doubt.

Regarding copyright - I don't give away copyright to my wedding photos, paid or not - sure, licence to print and copy - but that's different.

Honestly have paid in full, unfortunately. This isn't really the issue. We had a small family wedding so not many other photos taken. Just had my first wedding anniversary so feeling very down and hurt about it all. She has moved house (now being rented to someone else), disconnected her phone, and no replies to emails. We had wedding insurance but would only cover if photos were lost by photographer. Its not even the money I want, just my photos.

• Advertisement

Honestly have paid in full, unfortunately. This isn't really the issue. We had a small family wedding so not many other photos taken. Just had my first wedding anniversary so feeling very down and hurt about it all. She has moved house (now being rented to someone else), disconnected her phone, and no replies to emails. We had wedding insurance but would only cover if photos were lost by photographer. Its not even the money I want, just my photos.

OP your photographer should have been covered by a seperate insurance herself, most but unfortunately not all photographers insure thenselves so you would be able to claim against her insurance not just your own.

If you are not getting any response at all from her I would go to the small claims court, this may scare her into supplying the images to you. Is she registered as a business? If you check the cro website you should be able to get some information on her, providing she is registered of course.

Advertisement